Notices

dyno - heat soak / intake temps

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2011, 11:19 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno - heat soak / intake temps

what are peoples experiences with dynos and intake temps?
anyone else measured heat soak/ or actual intake temps?

i had a dyno run the other day and measured the temp on the top of the intercooler with my diy temp sensor and display.

I have the temp sensor and display perminatly fitted.
normally when driving along the temperature of air over the intercooler is ambient (as you would expect) when i park up it rises due to heat soak(as you would expect). So far its never risen over 30 degrees.

When on the dyno run the other day i measured 50 yes 50 degrees celcius over the intercooler by the time the third run was done, despite the dyno having a two fans, one for rad and one pointed at intercooler. To say i was a bit twitchy is an understatemet. IMO the intercooler might as well have not been there!
Its certainly made me think twice about using that dyno again.
Old 16 March 2011, 11:43 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna open up a can of worms!
why do people put a FAN on to reduce temp? im not aiming this specificly at tuners or cars.
all it does is circulate air, it has very little cooling effect. would a portable say 'air condtioner' be a better option, as this is cooled air? all a fan does is circulate the already warm air!
Old 16 March 2011, 11:45 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This IMO is why for a TMIC I will only use a dyno cell with very good cooling facilities for a TMIC car, to get a truer respresentation. If you don't I can't see how you can achieve representative figures for this kind of set-up.

IMO the set-up similar as the one at PowerStation (which uses an air-duct direct to the TMIC) is the best way to do this.
Old 16 March 2011, 11:46 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by r1c
im gonna open up a can of worms!
why do people put a FAN on to reduce temp? im not aiming this specificly at tuners or cars.
all it does is circulate air, it has very little cooling effect. would a portable say 'air condtioner' be a better option, as this is cooled air? all a fan does is circulate the already warm air!
Fan's are for airflow.... temperature controlling is something entirely different and both don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Old 16 March 2011, 11:52 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

good answer shaun, cheers
Old 17 March 2011, 02:01 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
This IMO is why for a TMIC I will only use a dyno cell with very good cooling facilities for a TMIC car, to get a truer respresentation. If you don't I can't see how you can achieve representative figures for this kind of set-up.

IMO the set-up similar as the one at PowerStation (which uses an air-duct direct to the TMIC) is the best way to do this.

as Shaun has said power station have brilliant set up for top mount cars and is the only place i will have my car on the rollers, you only have to look at some other places where they point a fan at the front of the car hoping it may reach the intercooler, this is more than likely why your power was down the other day for where you live i would go to power station, and see how its done properly.
Old 17 March 2011, 01:13 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Unsurprisingly, this set up saw my charge temp tell tale hit 102 deg C!!!

The fans were directed at the lower half of the bumper and nothing at the scoop.

I lost some 25 hp compared with the Zen RR after 5000 rpm where timing was cut back.

The owner of this "establishment" then said I need to sort out the heat management - cheeky g!t.

Old 17 March 2011, 01:26 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

[quote=Butty;9939837]Unsurprisingly, this set up saw my charge temp tell tale hit 102 deg C!!!

The fans were directed at the lower half of the bumper and nothing at the scoop.

I lost some 25 hp compared with the Zen RR after 5000 rpm where timing was cut back.

The owner of this "establishment" then said I need to sort out the heat management - cheeky g!t.

looks a good set up lol where was it?
Old 17 March 2011, 01:45 PM
ajsscooby
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert but you can usually tell the quality or a "proper" establishment by the details.

Those fans look like they were cobbled together from an old ventilation system. Looking at the pic I don't see any guards on rear of the fans , forget HSE rules - what about basic common sense!
Old 17 March 2011, 03:38 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I believe they are no longer in business or stopped doing Jap car work.

Last edited by Butty; 17 March 2011 at 03:45 PM.