Notices

is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2011, 10:20 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible

ok people i have had a few bits done on my engine and now need to run it for 250miles below 3k,so my question is instead of running it on the road would or is it possible to just have the car in the air i.e axel stands or lift.and just run it below 3000rpm obviously the car would be 100% secure before i did it.
it would still be in drive and somebody sat in it but just keep the car running around 2500rpm until i did the 250 miles needed or would it cause issues with wheels hanging ect any help on this one would be great
Old 14 March 2011, 10:58 PM
benbrandwood
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me, not least for the airflow across the engine (none)

I would imagine that the type of bedding in it needs it's not likely to get as it's not working against the wheels in quite the same way.
Old 14 March 2011, 11:32 PM
MY94BlueWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good idea at all... the car needs to be on the road so that the engine can be put under load, i.e. resistance against the road, like benbrandwood said.
Old 14 March 2011, 11:40 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Above posts sound like good advise! What have you had done that requires a 250 mile running in period?
Old 14 March 2011, 11:56 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

How would u know u had done 250 miles with it in the air
Old 15 March 2011, 12:27 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

I didn't think it was possible to be done
While in the air if I'm hounst, but somebody
Mentioned it so thought I would ask. I aint got a problem
Driving it cheers for advice once again. Also if you had all 4 wheels in air andwas driving the car while in gear your still clocking miles just comment to last post and cheers once again people.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:59 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

Sound like a great idea pal. Remember to keep the camcorder on record....

So your car on Axel stands - under the axels - that are turning - will work as long as the wheels aren't touching the ground?

Somebody said they weren't sure at least because of airflow?

Not because the car will jump off axel stands when you tried putting the car in gear?

Or did you mean you wouldn't put it in gear and have it on axel stands with the wheels off the ground and rev it.

Is that not called neutral gear?

All that for changing the oil too eh?... thank gawd you came and made an @rse of yourself on here first before you tried that cunning plan
Old 15 March 2011, 11:44 AM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Why does it need to be below 3k RPM? If its to stay off boost you could just disconnect the turbo actuator arm to prevent it creating any boost this will also allow you to use more of the rev range for bedding in.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:47 PM
sti345
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dooby-dont
Old 15 March 2011, 02:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dooby-do
ok people i have had a few bits done on my engine and now need to run it for 250miles below 3k,so my question is instead of running it on the road would or is it possible to just have the car in the air i.e axel stands or lift.and just run it below 3000rpm obviously the car would be 100% secure before i did it.
it would still be in drive and somebody sat in it but just keep the car running around 2500rpm until i did the 250 miles needed or would it cause issues with wheels hanging ect any help on this one would be great
Just drive it for 250 miles and then slowly increase the revs/speed.

If you did get it off the ground you would need cold air feeds (fans) to he rad and intercooler however this is not a good idea as you need to vary the revs up to 3k not just sit it at 3k and also put the drivetrain under load/resistence

theoretically ic can be done but then again i could paint my own bollox o bright red.
Like incest - just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done!

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 March 2011 at 03:02 PM.