Notices

boost hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2011, 07:37 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost hesitation

i recenyly wrote a thread asking anybody if they new what was causing my engine stutter hesitation, thought it could be MAF plugs or leads or down to using crap bp petrol for a few weeks, but now i dont think its that because it only happens just as the boost wants to kick in also noticed when on the motor way in 5th gear and accelorating to boost when it hesitates which is between 2500 - 3000 rpm there is a clicking noise like a relay or solenoid but once its past the stutter it boost as normal also before boost ticks over ok to... anybody know what it could be? maybe something to do with boost swtching or controlling...?
Old 12 March 2011, 09:03 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

maybe should try cleaning boost soloniod,mines dion something similiar as i get slight hesitation as it comes on boost then clears its self then goes ok.im gonna try cleaning boost soloniod but cant hear no clicking like yours,and aint getting no cel light coming up on the dash either..
Old 12 March 2011, 09:28 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok 1st what does the boost solenoid look like and how do you clean it and what with? i take it its located where the map sensor is on the drivers side strut where the boost pipe goes into. i only noticed the clicking in 5th gear on the motorway lastnight maybe because its a slower build up of boost then the lower gears or maybe couldnt hear it over engine noise but yeah sounds like your does the same as mine also im not getting any engine fault codes on the dash either.
Old 12 March 2011, 09:33 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

its on the drivers side inner wing with 3 or 4 small pipes giong to it,take of the pipes but remember were they go back and clean with brake cleaner,spray it into one of the holes were the pipes go on...someone else might explain it better.
Old 12 March 2011, 09:40 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok cheers ill def try that and hope it works... how embarresing it is when you put your foot down and the car starts jumping like a donkey...!!!
Old 12 March 2011, 10:16 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

so what causes the boost solenoid to get dirty and clogged up also is there other parts affected that might need cleaning to...?
Old 12 March 2011, 01:36 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

dunno what causes it to get dirty if u get stuck and dont mind driving down to juncttion 28 of the m25 im 2 minutes from that junction i could clean it for u as long as u have brake cleaner.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:41 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

im guna buy some carb cleaner or brake cleaner which evers cheapest on monday and have a look myself and see if its do-able for me if not ill give you a shout thanks for the offer mate.
Old 12 March 2011, 05:12 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

no worries
Old 14 March 2011, 01:06 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

bought carb cleaner this morning and did as following: 2 port boost solenoid put green plugs together with ignition on so cycle is running disconnected the 2 pipes 1 of which is just short with a nipple on the end sits next to induction kit and other pipe goes to a reducer on to rest of boost pipework so sprayed carb cleaner on to both ports of solenoid to be honest not much crap came out maybe a slightly dirty colour with the cleaner, did it a fair few times for about 5 mins then put it all back. took it for a spin to the petrol station to stick some tesco 99 in and its still the same hesitating just as boost kicks in then goes past and works fine, also noticed it seemed to pull a bit better after cleaning the solenoid... i can here a clicking noise inside the car when it hesitates but not sure if thats the needle on the boost gauge flicking up and down, or maybe its a relay or switch or something, what else do you think it could be, or do i need to keep cleaning the solenoid more...?

Last edited by goujon; 14 March 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 14 March 2011, 02:59 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

dunno mate im gonna carb clean mine tomoz and heck pipe work for splits and see what happens
Old 14 March 2011, 11:50 PM
gravy88
Scooby Regular

im having ths same problem, i have a TD04 turbo which is running 0.6bar ( is this normal )

Also when it gets to 2200revs it stutters up to 3000, then picks up and is fine dont understand it.
Hope you get it sorted
Old 15 March 2011, 12:09 AM
Minjeeta
Scooby Regular

boost leak? timing, dirty fuel filter, etc...... theres a fault finder section at the back of Impreza service manuals.
Old 15 March 2011, 08:34 AM
goujon
Scooby Regular

yes thats the same as mine gravy88 from 2500 - 3500 it stutters and makes clicking noise then once past 3500 boosts nice and strong no problems, i think if it was a boost leak it would stutter all way up through revs or get worse higher up, also why do i get that electrical clicking noise when it does which it didnt do before...? maybe i can get the timing checked but i changed the fuel filter 5000 miles ago so cant be that anyway if it was either of these problems why does it boost strong after 3500 revs and clicking stops?