Notices

My02 throttle body, cable mechanism question

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2011, 08:09 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My02 throttle body, cable mechanism question

Hey all, the MY02's cable throttle, it has two rotor arms with springs but cable only runs on one which opens big butterfly. There's a bar which holds the springs tight below the rotors but mine is on an angle, is that normal? Feels like the return springs aren't being pulled enough. Anyone got pics as dont want to straighten that bar unless is should be straight.

Also, how come can never get 100% throttle open using foot pedal? I've got AVCR which reads throttle from ecu and it was 92% max but with some adjustment I've upped it to 94-95 average with odd 96 but never 100%. Any further adjustment and the closed position should 1-2%...
Old 08 March 2011, 09:24 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read in my scanguage manual that some cars wont ever show 100% but my 01 bug does.
I tightened my throttle cable just enough that there was no play but wasnt holding the throttle open at all.
Old 08 March 2011, 09:27 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

I wonfer if my throttle body spring should be giving more resistence trying to close the throttle...although not sure it actually will give me any benefit as even with throttle open 2-3*, stomp the pedal and AVCR shows 95-96%, that's it so cable run isn't enough. I might check the floor pedal to see if something needs adjusting there
Old 08 March 2011, 10:38 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You do know that there's a turbo ramming 1.5 bar of boost past it don't you ?

LoL

dunx

P.S. Not that it isn't worth every little tweak for free !
Old 09 March 2011, 08:28 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think I'm going petrol vapour crazy here, yesterday I could swear the AVCR wasn't reading any throttle even with the butterfly slightly cracked (1-2% maybe) and the screw thread for the cable wound right in. Anyway went today to check and had to back the cable off back to almost original to get the butterfly to sit closed (like it does with no cable attached, marked with a pencil line). Anyway, decided to jump in the car, wind down the window, stick head out and watch AVCR at same time as butterfly with cable backed off....it's almost perfect! Instant openning with slightest little touch on throttle and AVCR reads even below 1%....open wide and 96% throttle (not 100% I know but the butterfly is so open at 90 deg angle that another 4 deg would make no difference on boost....happy but feel bit weird.