Notices

MY98 Low revs Lumpy/Missing/Hesitant

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2011, 01:06 PM
CraigSH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 Low revs Lumpy/Missing/Hesitant

I have neglected my poor car for the last 2 years and thought it was time for some TLC.

It was running badly before I did the following hoping it may help it but still as bad as before all though the engione sounds smoother.

I have changed the timing belt. Changed Crank shaft oil seal and rocker gasket (stop it making so much smoke at traffic lights). Front and Rear discs/Pads had the tracking done as well. Oil change and filter. Fuel Filter changed.

Ive checked all pipes no leaks all connected. HT leads seem fine no cracks or splits anywhere. Coil looks in good shape to nothing obviously wrong with it. Spark plugs have only done about 5000 miles although I have not checked them yet. I have checked ECU for error codes and all is clear nothing reported. Unplugged MAF sensor when running and car stalls, looks clean enough though. Unplugged lamda and it seemed to make it worse.

It only runs bad upto about 3k rpm as soon as turbo kicks in it runs sweet as a nut no missing or spluttering. Driving steady at low speed is ok its just when I try to accelerate quickly it starts jump ansd splutter and it does not like going at 40mph in 5th gear. When its idling and I put my foot to floor its like nothing is there it misses and revs increase all over the place and as soon as it gets to 3k it red lines fine. When driving on motorway and keeping it at steady revs just before boost and its kinda pinking and jumpy till boost kicks in full and its away smooth.

Hope that all made sense

Thanks all
Old 14 March 2011, 09:16 PM
CraigSH
Scooby Regular

Okay ive tried a few more things.

I have replaced the Plugs, Leads and also tried my friends coil and its still the same

I have also filled with V-Power and put Octane booster in it just to see if that was the problem and it isnt still the same

I am at a loss now maybe changing the Knock sensor and maybe MAF just to see I dont know Im running out of things to change.

Another thing i have noticed that it does seem to be running really rich over fueling maybe.

Cheers,
Craig.

Last edited by CraigSH; 14 March 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 14 March 2011, 11:35 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Lumpy on open loop, running rich and lower mpg are all symptoms of a faulty lambda. Easily checked with a multi-meter at the signal wire.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:55 AM
westmore
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the MAF censer m8 if you can sounds like that to me, mine is doing the same lol and that's the only thing i have not changed.
i have scoped the MAF but it read really smooth but need to try it under load which is hard.... let us know if you solve it.
Old 15 March 2011, 08:22 PM
CraigSH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Ive solved it I swapped the MAF for my mates and just like magic it sorted all the problems out.

Wish I had of tried that straight away but I always do thing the long way and expensive way round

Ive just ordered one off ebay hope it will be okay as its a aftermarket one, it comes with 12 months warranty tho so I'll just have to see.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-SUBARU-...item1c1795cbb5