Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2011, 05:27 PM
visorgirl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping 2001 WRX off-road/battery change

Hi guys
I'm new here and looking for some advice

I'm just getting used to the forum boards, so apologies if I've put this thread in the wrong place.

I'm the proud (but poor) owner of a beautiful 2001 WRX that I'm currently keeping off-road, because I can't afford to run two cars at the moment. I bought her last year because she was my dream car, and I knew the previous owner and her husband, and I knew that she (the car!!) had been really well looked after and maintained.

The plan was to get the car up and running this spring, but I still can't quite afford it, so I am looking at another few months of off-roadness. What we've been doing up til now is starting her a couple of times a week in the garage and letting her run for a while. The battery is the original one (I think), and ran down a few times in the cold, so had to be re-charged. Now it seems to be completely dead and needs to be replaced.

So I am just looking for some advice about doing this, and also about keeping the car off-road. She's currently in our garage with only our freezer for company I talked to one of the mechanics at my normal garage last week, who said that when the battery is taken out, we may have to re-enter some security codes, and I've also heard people talk about having to re-set the key fob??

My neighbour can help us and is pretty good with everyday car stuff, but I don't want to try to do this without being prepared first. I can also ring the previous owner if we need help, but obviously this is a last resort. He has left a folder with loads of stuff in it about the car, so I will have a good look through this as well.

The car is in really lovely condition otherwise and with no modifications or problems that I know of.

Sorry if this is a really daft question, but as you can probably tell, this is my first Subaru and I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you
Kara
Old 26 February 2011, 05:47 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive not heard of resets that need to be done.As for recodes i havnt heard of that either.If the batterys in your blue immobiliser key fobs go dead you can type in the code in the keypad( infront of your right leg as your sat in the car behind a flap) you should have your code with the paper work.Apart from that i dont see a problem.If there is im sure someone will say.Ps welcome and enjoy.

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 26 February 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 06:04 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just double checking.......by 2001 WRX you do mean Bugeye What sort of security has on it.

I'd personally buy a CTEK charger / conditioner and keep that on all the time

Shaun
Old 26 February 2011, 06:05 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

I've got an 01 bug wrx, which has been garaged for the past 3 months and is started once a wek and has the battery disconnected.

No codes have have had to be re-entered and it starts up first turn of the key, also i check it's all working by arming and disarming a couple of times, i run it till it gets up to temperature and the fans on the rad kick in. In regards to the battery i use a solar panel battery charger which keeps enough charge going through the battery between start ups. Luckily the garage i use has a window in it which the solar panel is next to, but you can get ones with extended cables and position it on the roof of the garage or outside it. The one i got cost £12 from ebay.

I also pump the tyres upto 40 psi as it's stood in the same place for a while, also leave the handbrake off and leave it in gear.

Last edited by 95turbowagon; 26 February 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 06:06 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ctek.aspx if you plan to replace give one of these a shot
Old 26 February 2011, 06:16 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ctek.aspx if you plan to replace give one of these a shot
These are a good idea as if you leave bugeyes with a flat battery on the alarms keep going of if armed,eventually burning out the horn relay,which is what happened to mine.

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 26 February 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Need to lern to spill
Old 26 February 2011, 07:28 PM
visorgirl
Scooby Newbie

Thank you all so much That is all really helpful.

Yes, she is a bug eye one. She's really beautiful! She has a normal fob key thing, a tracking device and an immobiliser (I can't remember what types they are, but it's all in the big folder). I'm pretty sure that I've got the code in my paperwork, but I may give the previous owner a ring just to make sure! The alarm has gone off a few times (our fault) and it is very loud indeed.

I'll keep you updated about how we get on. I can't wait to get her up and running. .
Old 26 February 2011, 07:41 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyejohn
These are a good idea as if you leave bugeyes with a flat battery on the alarms keep going of if armed,eventually burning out the horn relay,which is what happened to mine.
I have a problem with mine that the alarm is going of continuosly, whether it's running or not. Indicator lights don't flash and you can start the car with the alarm going, as mentioned the battery is charged with a solar panel and doesn't struggle to get started.

current solution is that i have taken the siren out as it gets rather annoying.

Sorry to hijack.
Old 26 February 2011, 07:43 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Welcome! Look after her and enjoy! Get rid of the other car and run your Scooby! Lol.
Old 26 February 2011, 07:45 PM
visorgirl
Scooby Newbie

That's a good hijack Probably something I will face later on. Does the alarm stop and start or sound all the time?
Old 26 February 2011, 07:46 PM
visorgirl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Welcome! Look after her and enjoy! Get rid of the other car and run your Scooby! Lol.
Thank you I can't get rid of my other girl, though- my cars are like sisters now!
Old 26 February 2011, 08:13 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
I have a problem with mine that the alarm is going of continuosly, whether it's running or not. Indicator lights don't flash and you can start the car with the alarm going, as mentioned the battery is charged with a solar panel and doesn't struggle to get started.

current solution is that i have taken the siren out as it gets rather annoying.

Sorry to hijack.
That sounds like a alarm problem,strange the car starts/ runs with the alarm going of.The bugeyes came with a sigma system usually have you tried turning of on the keypad?
Old 26 February 2011, 08:21 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a alarm problem,strange the car starts/ runs with the alarm going of.The bugeyes came with a sigma system usually have you tried turning of on the keypad?
I have tried turning on ignition and pressing 0 on the keypad and turning off ignition, this is supposed to isolate whatever is causing the problem until the next time the car is armed.

But due to the alarm going off it has no effect, it will go off for about twenty seconds, stop for ten and then come back on again and do this repeatedly.

I had noticed before i stopped using the car for the winter that it occasionaly chirped when using the car.

when disconecting the siren i noticed a decent amount of water came out of the siren, so this might be the problem. i need to find somewhere once it's MOT'd to see if someone can diagnose the problem.

Do these store any fault codes?

I have noticed that since fitting a strut brace it has become more constant, before it was more random.

Last edited by 95turbowagon; 26 February 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 08:33 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

It should show a fault code i think its p0513, you can buy a u480 code reader for your car its just plug in and is about £20
Old 26 February 2011, 09:00 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

It should show a fault code i think its p0513, you can buy a u480 code reader for your car its just plug in and is about £20
Cheers, just ordered one.
Old 26 February 2011, 09:14 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I keep my car in the garage all the time (track car) so have the dry cell battery plugged in all the time....

This is what I use:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-12V-Trickl...item19c363f566

No bother what so ever with it, been keeping the battery maintained for 2 years now.

Comes with either crocodile clips, or bolt on connectors (i use bolt on connectors) where all you have to do is plug it all in when ever you need to top up the battery

Last edited by Jamz_; 26 February 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 27 February 2011, 05:22 PM
visorgirl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Jamz- that is very useful! I have been feeling a bit guilty keeping the car in the garage for so long.

I don't know whether we'll be able to charge up the old battery again- it really seems to be dead now. So I will have to get a new one soon. Feeling very nervous in case she has a tantrum and the alarm starts going off again. I just don't think she's happy being garaged while the other cars get to go out!