Notices

Wagon - GB270 or WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2011, 08:46 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wagon - GB270 or WRX?

Hi Guys, I am looking for a replacement for my aging import MY96 STi wagon.

What are the basic differences between the WRX New Age cars and the GB270?

And is it worth spending a fair bit more on the GB, or is the WRX with a PPP too similar to not worry about?

Thanks
Old 20 February 2011, 08:48 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://imwww.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW...from_GB270.pdf

Press release for the GB270.

Up to you whether you want to pay extra, the GB's are holding better money than the regular WRX's.

Last edited by duckson; 20 February 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 20 February 2011, 08:49 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by duckson
http://imwww.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_news_events.nsf/NULL/744C9702EF56539F8025731A003495D4/$FILE/05.07.07_Big-value_from_GB270.pdf

Sorry, yes a Wagon

I'll check your link, thanks
Old 20 February 2011, 08:51 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Sorry, yes a Wagon

I'll check your link, thanks
Check my sig...

Your ok i noticed the title said Wagon, it was my bad.

Last edited by duckson; 20 February 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:00 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Check my sig...

Your ok i noticed the title said Wagon, it was my bad.
Aaahhh, yes I've seen yours FS - very nice, and good colour. Surprised someone hasn't snapped that off you yet.

Long story short: I've owned lots of Scooby's over the last few years, and decided to try something totally different - so last month bought a Integra Type R.

When on full beans on an A or B it's nothing short of brilliant, and I have to say more involving as a driver's car than the Scooby, but...

It hasn't got grunt. It's not all the time you want to be thrashing the back end out of it, and if you're not on the revs etc... you get the picture
Old 20 February 2011, 09:06 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying, I bought an EP3 Civic Type R when they had just come out in 2002 (well 2001 buy mine was an 02 by the time it had been built).
Good car but when your not in the mood the lack of torque could become annoying.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

http://imwww.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW...from_GB270.pdf

Up to you whether you want to pay extra, the GB's are holding better money than the regular WRX's.
What do you get for the extra though?

Is the suspension different? Also, can the engine be re-mapped?

Trending Topics

Old 20 February 2011, 09:11 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying, I bought an EP3 Civic Type R when they had just come out in 2002 (well 2001 buy mine was an 02 by the time it had been built).
Good car but when your not in the mood the lack of torque could become annoying.
Really, other main reason I didn't go straight for a newer Wagon is the weight increase...

My classic weighs ~1243Kg, where the new age is ~1450 - 3 extra people in the car

Integra is 1140Kg's
Old 20 February 2011, 09:11 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

You get;
PPP
Features include a lowered spring kit, ‘quickshift’ gearchange, special carpet
mats, MOMO ‘Air-Race’ gear ****, larger-diameter 18x7.5ins GT1 alloy wheels and
GB270 exterior badging and individually numbered interior plaque.
Rear waist spoiler, front and rear aero splash guards, rear privacy glass, black stainless-steel mesh front grille and gloss-black alloy wheels.

Options are;
In addition, both models will be available with an optional ICE pack consisting of a Clarion
SatNav and iPod adaptor and Bluetooth ’phone kit for £1,750.
Other extra-cost upgrades include a GB270-branded leather or Alcantara/leather interior
for £1,400 or £1,600 respectively and privacy glass window tinting for the saloon at £405.

Its a WRX PPP, you can mod this with aftermarket parts to your hearts content if thats what you want.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:15 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Really, other main reason I didn't go straight for a newer Wagon is the weight increase...

My classic weighs ~1243Kg, where the new age is ~1450 - 3 extra people in the car

Integra is 1140Kg's
Thats modern cars for you, they need to meet more stringent safety guidelines.

Is the Integra a DC2 or a DC5? Guessing DC2? Again to be expected, it was designed to be as light as possible with thinner glass and other things along those lines.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:27 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Thats modern cars for you, they need to meet more stringent safety guidelines.

Is the Integra a DC2 or a DC5? Guessing DC2? Again to be expected, it was designed to be as light as possible with thinner glass and other things along those lines.
It's the DC5

Yes, the chassis was beefed up and lots of other things to add all that weight. It's not that noticeable on the road though. I took my 03 JDM to Anglesey TD - the weight handicapped it there alright! Jeesz! All those pesky hatch's were all over me, and I had 370 BHP

Aren't most cars a compromise somewhere though?
Old 20 February 2011, 09:33 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

True, got to looking at Caterhams and Westfields if you want as less a compromise as possible. Or maybe an Atom....hmm.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:36 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

True, got to looking at Caterhams and Westfields if you want as less a compromise as possible. Or maybe an Atom....hmm.
Donnington... MAC#1 520Kg's with ZX10R, 12.5K rpm, 0-60 3.5s

Old 20 February 2011, 09:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with New Age WRX,rather than GB270,these extra which are included at GB270 you will be have for less money than GB270.

Jura
Old 20 February 2011, 09:46 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

haha looks like fun.
My sister in laws boyfriend has a Fisher Fury with a Fireblade engine, not been in it though.
Old 20 February 2011, 09:50 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
I would go with New Age WRX,rather than GB270,these extra which are included at GB270 you will be have for less money than GB270.

Jura
True but as with any mods you tend to not see them £ wise on resale, if they are part of the "spec" from factory they usually raise the price maybe why the GB's are asking more money than comparable WRX's, likewise the RB320's hold good money over STI's.

Last edited by duckson; 20 February 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 21 February 2011, 09:00 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

haha looks like fun.
My sister in laws boyfriend has a Fisher Fury with a Fireblade engine, not been in it though.
You ought to ask. They really are an eye opener. Main thing is their weight, or lack of. This translates to an extremely intuitive experience with almost everything being throttle controlled. My 70mile blast the other Sunday morning saw the brakes being used about 3 times only
Old 21 February 2011, 09:08 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

So to be clear on the differences...

The GB has lowering springs. This is the only suspension change? No stiffening or thicker ARB's etc?

Engine - standard WRX engine with PPP fitted? Presumably this could easily be remapped safely to ~310

Last edited by bonesetter; 21 February 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 21 February 2011, 09:33 AM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Yea looks like its only different springs, i would of expected the Press Release to state otherwise if it was different.
To be honest, and i'm not just saying this by owning one, the ride quality is really very very good, i'm sure other GB owners would agree. It isnt that hard where by you are shaken to pieces on our wonderfully well kept public highway but hard enough to make a difference over the stock setup, it strikes a nice balance IMO at least.

Correct on the engine front, WRX with PPP. I'm not really interested in the remapping, standard is fine for me but i believe the turbo is probably good for 300bhp tops with an aftermarket remap, maybe a bit less but its area under the graph that counts not peak power (as i'm sure you are aware with the Integra!).

I think with most manufacturers special editions they tend to be mildly tweaked over standard, once you start going to the more heavily tweaked vehicles the price invariably shoots up considerably eg Impreza Cosworth
Old 21 February 2011, 01:05 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Yea looks like its only different springs, i would of expected the Press Release to state otherwise if it was different.
To be honest, and i'm not just saying this because I'm selling one, the ride quality is really very very good, i'm sure other GB owners would agree. It isnt that hard where by you are shaken to pieces on our wonderfully well kept public highway but hard enough to make a difference over the stock setup, it strikes a nice balance IMO at least.

Correct on the engine front, WRX with PPP. I'm not really interested in the remapping, standard is fine for me but i believe the turbo is probably good for 300bhp tops with an aftermarket remap, maybe a bit less but its area under the graph that counts not peak power (as i'm sure you are aware with the Integra!).

I think with most manufacturers special editions they tend to be mildly tweaked over standard, once you start going to the more heavily tweaked vehicles the price invariably shoots up considerably eg Impreza Cosworth
FIFY

There was a bug eye Sti Wagon, but they are rare
Old 21 February 2011, 01:20 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

LOL

I think any GB owner would agree with the spring/ride quality, even the ones that arent selling!!
Old 21 February 2011, 05:31 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

I could not find a GB270 wagon for love nor money when looking for my wagon, had no choice but get the WRX in the end, knew I would be modding it anyway so not as much of a big deal. I actually prefer the toned down look of the WRX, havnt even got the scoop on mine now.
Old 21 February 2011, 08:18 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
I could not find a GB270 wagon for love nor money when looking for my wagon, had no choice but get the WRX in the end, knew I would be modding it anyway so not as much of a big deal. I actually prefer the toned down look of the WRX, havnt even got the scoop on mine now.
I think the only part of the GB which I would like is the lowering and the quickshift, possibly the privacy glass as I would like the dog to travel in style

The overall look of the GB270 I do really like though, but it does seem alot of extra money over and above the WRX

I too would go for ARB's (pretty much a must) like you have, and would start by sourcing a WRX with a PPP

Of course, if I wasn't looking for a Wagon, life would be so much simpler

Got a pic?
Old 21 February 2011, 08:37 PM
duckson
Scooby Regular

Reduced the price of my GB now, i've had a half decent offer from a main dealer that i'll likely be taking up if it doesnt sell in the next day or so.
Old 21 February 2011, 11:47 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

The main attraction of the GB for me would be the wheels, it's hard to find 18" wheels that fit a lowered wagon properly, because of the lack of wing blisters. You need a wheel with an offset of 52 or so, not that many around and the offset isn't normally advertised. The quickshift can be easily replicated with a third party stick, although not as well engineered a solution as the prodrive full linkage. Similarly the lowering springs. I find the aero add ons on the GB a bit garish to be honest. I got a hawkeye WRX with the PPP (I also wanted a fast car that could carry a dog!), and found the PPP a bit underwhelming - the power wasn't that great, and it fell off quite quickly after 5000 rpm. I got a powerstation upgrade - full 3" sports cat exhaust, panel filter, and ecutek map, which got to 290bhp, which is about the max the turbo is capable of, but with much better power delivery. The PPP exhaust is a bit more restrictive so would give less on a remap I think. I've also had powerstation's stage 2 handling kit - lowering springs, stiffer ARBs, an ALK, and a full four wheel alignment, of which the springs are the least important contributor to improved handling. A quickshift from revolution, a lip splitter and rear diffuser from HT Autos, and a brake upgrade from Godspeed and I think I ended up with a better car than the unmodified GB. Still on 17" wheels though! Really, it all depends on how much the price difference is between a WRX and a GB, and how much you could do to the WRX with that money.
Old 21 February 2011, 11:50 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

What do you get for the extra though?

Is the suspension different? Also, can the engine be re-mapped?
AFAIK you can't remap the PPP ecu without paying a licence for ecutek. Open source may work I guess.
Old 22 February 2011, 06:12 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I was going to say about the bugeue sti wagon, there's one for sale on here currently.

I guess most people hate the bugeye though, so depends on your view of that. I love the look of mine and think the sti looks better with the darker headlamps.

They are a big step up in all respects to a 96 sti (apart from looks if they aren't your thing). The performance of mine is really very good, it's petty much standard but it really flies with the AVCS helping things along. When I bought it the performance wasn't brilliant but I found a faulty NPS and that cured that. It really is very impressive, the gearbox, handling, and performance I love. My previous impreza was a 2.5 converted type r so I'm not just bigging it up coming from a fiesta. The beauty of these cars is the engine has some decent internals and if you want to mod they're great. A few mods will see you to near on 400bhp, or a remap with exh and filter will see you around 330bhp.

Here's mine.

Name:  sti4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  126.8 KB

And a brief spell it had on different rims..

Name:  stiwag3.jpg
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  stiwag2.jpg
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  stiwag1.jpg
Size:  112.3 KB
Old 22 February 2011, 11:06 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daijones
The main attraction of the GB for me would be the wheels, it's hard to find 18" wheels that fit a lowered wagon properly, because of the lack of wing blisters. You need a wheel with an offset of 52 or so, not that many around and the offset isn't normally advertised. The quickshift can be easily replicated with a third party stick, although not as well engineered a solution as the prodrive full linkage. Similarly the lowering springs. I find the aero add ons on the GB a bit garish to be honest. I got a hawkeye WRX with the PPP (I also wanted a fast car that could carry a dog!), and found the PPP a bit underwhelming - the power wasn't that great, and it fell off quite quickly after 5000 rpm. I got a powerstation upgrade - full 3" sports cat exhaust, panel filter, and ecutek map, which got to 290bhp, which is about the max the turbo is capable of, but with much better power delivery. The PPP exhaust is a bit more restrictive so would give less on a remap I think. I've also had powerstation's stage 2 handling kit - lowering springs, stiffer ARBs, an ALK, and a full four wheel alignment, of which the springs are the least important contributor to improved handling. A quickshift from revolution, a lip splitter and rear diffuser from HT Autos, and a brake upgrade from Godspeed and I think I ended up with a better car than the unmodified GB. Still on 17" wheels though! Really, it all depends on how much the price difference is between a WRX and a GB, and how much you could do to the WRX with that money.
Very nice job you've done there (not thinking of selling are you )

The suspension work you've looks spot on too. I went through an excellent learning stage with a JDM a couple of years back. It had been lowered with Eibacks - and that was it. If you were on completely smooth tarmac it handled fine, but show it anything else and it was terrible. Here's a good reading thread on what I did with it

The Powerstation upgrade sounds just the job, and better than the PPP. My current wagon is 280 or perhaps a little more, but is 200Kg's lighter than a new age, so the extra from the Powerstation would mitigate somewhat
Old 22 February 2011, 11:09 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I was going to say about the bugeue sti wagon, there's one for sale on here currently.

I guess most people hate the bugeye though, so depends on your view of that. I love the look of mine and think the sti looks better with the darker headlamps.

They are a big step up in all respects to a 96 sti (apart from looks if they aren't your thing). The performance of mine is really very good, it's petty much standard but it really flies with the AVCS helping things along. When I bought it the performance wasn't brilliant but I found a faulty NPS and that cured that. It really is very impressive, the gearbox, handling, and performance I love. My previous impreza was a 2.5 converted type r so I'm not just bigging it up coming from a fiesta. The beauty of these cars is the engine has some decent internals and if you want to mod they're great. A few mods will see you to near on 400bhp, or a remap with exh and filter will see you around 330bhp.
Very nice. I'm not a fan of blobeye cars, but I think on a wagon the front looks fine.

Yes, it's really an Sti I'm after. How long did it take to find yours?

What is AVCS?
Old 22 February 2011, 04:33 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. I'm not a fan of blobeye cars, but I think on a wagon the front looks fine.

Yes, it's really an Sti I'm after. How long did it take to find yours?

What is AVCS?
Someone here selling WR Blue Bugeye STi Wagon for £5k,which i think is good price.
And about AVCS,what i know in my understanding that AVCS was designed to help the bottom and middle end of the powerband, and by the higher rpms you're 100% "on the cam."

Jura

Quick Reply: Wagon - GB270 or WRX?