Notices

Underside Potential Damage

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2011, 01:29 PM
captain_anonymous_2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underside Potential Damage

I had this car in to have a look at and to me it looks like someone has used a jack and part crushed the beams that run either side of the propshaft tunnel and exhaust. You can clearly see that the sealant under the car has started to come away from these areas.

Is this a common jacking point on these cars because to me it looks like it's been pushed in. Could it just be that this is the shape of the beam and it does flatten out towards the front and due to this the sealant tends to come away after a period of time?

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos and I am currently hunting through google to try to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/showthread.php?t=9231

If you look at this, the two axle stands are supporting the car at the front using the beams I am talking about.

I am thinking the best option is to clean/dry up the underside in this area, strip off the old seal and reseal it properly after an extensive session with the good old wire brush to get the surface rust off. Any recommendations on a underside sealer or thoughts on this?

Also there is some quite bad rust towards the rear drivers wheel. I is this common on these cars and if so how much have you guys paid to have it recifitied?