Notices

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2011, 11:43 AM
scooby..al
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods

I have recently bought a 1998 2000 turbo uk.The previous lady owner is not sure what it has had done to it as it was her ex husband who dealt with things like that.All i know for sure is that it has a magnex 6x4 oval exhaust which according to paperwork cost £280.Its also fitted with a pipercross filter and dump valve.

I know these mods won't do much for performance but i was thinking if he has had these things done what else has been done?.....could you that are in the know give me some idea of what to look for i.e numbers on parts etc so i could have some idea if anything else has been done.To be honest i would rather have it standard after hearing so many horror stories of things going wrong with modded cars.

As always any help would be appreciated

Al
Old 20 February 2011, 12:12 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby..al
I have recently bought a 1998 2000 turbo uk.The previous lady owner is not sure what it has had done to it as it was her ex husband who dealt with things like that.All i know for sure is that it has a magnex 6x4 oval exhaust which according to paperwork cost £280.Its also fitted with a pipercross filter and dump valve.

I know these mods won't do much for performance but i was thinking if he has had these things done what else has been done?.....could you that are in the know give me some idea of what to look for i.e numbers on parts etc so i could have some idea if anything else has been done.To be honest i would rather have it standard after hearing so many horror stories of things going wrong with modded cars.

As always any help would be appreciated

Al
Hi..
Simple solution is to fit a standard airbox and dump valve.
The exhaust won't matter if you still have the standard cat.
The problem as it stands is this; The mass air flow sensor measures incoming air volume. The ECU uses the output voltage from the sensor to determine load. This information is used to control ECU output for timing and fuelling. If you change the air filter, you change the output voltage to the ECU. The effect of this can be substantial, and not in a good way.
You can keep the air filter as it stands, if it's either been remapped to suit, or you're going to re map it. If not, get rid and pronto.
Dump valves are frankly a pain in the backside. The stock one does the job perfectly well at the boost level you'd want to run.
We may well have what you need in our store somewhere, if you call Martyn on 01752 345880 on Monday, he'll advise.
Old 20 February 2011, 01:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ +1