Notices

bov delete

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2011, 12:59 AM
tattooRick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bov delete

hi all new to the turbo and impreza scene. my 93 saloon wrx import has a dump valve vta and i want to put it back to standard trim before i start messing.

I dont have the original part that goes inplace of the bov.
Ive had alook at a few threads on here referring to getting rid of it already bov delete.

is this possible to do and what do i need to do????
Old 14 February 2011, 08:09 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Remove chav valve, block up with D/V blanking plate or something of similar size. Block off vacuum pipe to the BOV. Job done.
Old 14 February 2011, 08:42 AM
P1#1015
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim
Remove chav valve, block up with D/V blanking plate or something of similar size. Block off vacuum pipe to the BOV. Job done.
And start saving for a new turbo

OE turbo WILL NOT LIKE that. Speak to one of the many breakers on here (MattyBR5, Scooby Parts etc) and they will sort you out with an OE recirc valve.
Old 14 February 2011, 08:53 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

TD series can hack it, but yes, you'll certainly get better throttle response with a re-circ.
Old 14 February 2011, 09:53 AM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

+1 for mattybr5, bought my recirc valve off of him for my 95 v limited along with a few other parts. top bloke, top service.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:45 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

I love these threads about BOVs.There seems to be so many different views on them and everybody would give their right bollock to insist they are right.
I did change mine for an aftermarket one but swapped it back after about 6 months just to see the difference ,the car does run alot smoother with a standard one ,but you dont get the noise or the pops and bangs from the exhaust.
As for blanking the BOV off,this has the best sound out of all them,but again there are so many mixed views on this.I was told by many people the VF is the best for doing this but also got told the the TD was the best ,so i have not got a clue which is best,maybe someone may be able to answer this once and for all.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:07 AM
angry_boy
Scooby Regular

I have a similar query, I am currently running a forge VTA and FMIC (well will be when the engine is back together!). I want to revert back to recirc but not a fan of paying stupid money for 'branded' valves. I've seen some adjustable ones on flea bay but the connections are 25mm and not 34mm. Would this make much difference? Would prefer an adjustable one to be able to tune it to boost levels.

Last edited by angry_boy; 14 February 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:31 AM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyd00999
I love these threads about BOVs.There seems to be so many different views on them and everybody would give their right bollock to insist they are right.
I did change mine for an aftermarket one but swapped it back after about 6 months just to see the difference ,the car does run alot smoother with a standard one ,but you dont get the noise or the pops and bangs from the exhaust.
As for blanking the BOV off,this has the best sound out of all them,but again there are so many mixed views on this.I was told by many people the VF is the best for doing this but also got told the the TD was the best ,so i have not got a clue which is best,maybe someone may be able to answer this once and for all.
So true buddy!

opinions are obviously based on experience. plenty of people will say that they have blocked their DV, and the turbo is fine. plenty also say they have done this, and the turbo has gone pop. It would just be nice to know how much blocking off the DV will shorten the lifespan of the turbo, if it does at all, but i don't think we will get a definitive answer. The only think I can think is that if they didnt need them, manufacturers wouldnt put them on, because it would be cheaper at the factory. however, they do put them on, so must be there for some kind of reason...
Old 14 February 2011, 11:39 AM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

'As for blanking the BOV off,this has the best sound out of all them'

what sort of sound does that make then ?
Old 14 February 2011, 11:42 AM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greendragonkungfu

what sort of sound does that make then ?
like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguEOuPvKDs
Old 14 February 2011, 11:45 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Loco
what he said
Old 14 February 2011, 12:15 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

that will be crap then, imo.
Old 14 February 2011, 01:00 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

The sound is compressor stall. NOT 'Wastegate flutter' as your local chav will tell you. It's basically the sound of the air going back across the turbine blades as the throttle is snapped shut... realistically not the best thing for your turbo, and does slow it down between gear changes (hence a re-circ being better for the turbo and throttle response as it keeps the air going in one direction).
Old 14 February 2011, 01:12 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

I agree with you TinyTim, but guaranteed someone will post a reply in a sec completely disagreeing with you

its what always happens when talking about this subject
Old 14 February 2011, 07:11 PM
tattooRick
Scooby Regular

so if I get a standard recirc valve do i loose the tshhhhh sound???? do i get any sort of sound at all? or will it just sound like a non turbo with a boost on throttle sound?
Old 14 February 2011, 07:37 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tattooRick
so if I get a standard recirc valve do i loose the tshhhhh sound???? do i get any sort of sound at all? or will it just sound like a non turbo with a boost on throttle sound?

thats an interesting one for me, i bought the car with vta dv and have replaced it with an oe recirc type. the pssst sound will defo go but i find i now have a discreet low frequency boom noise when i change gear that i like, maybe its the recirc, i dont know.
my pops and bangs on overrun have gone down a lot, so has the oddwhiff of petrol like it was running rich?
Old 14 February 2011, 10:30 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

MMMMmmmm these threads do get interesting...

I was advised by someone in the know (great rally driver, owns his own tuning company etc) to ditch the standard dump valve and run dumpvalve-less with my new upgraded turbo VF34 on my classic 99. (i do have a lot of additional modifications)

i said to him that i have seen horror stories of it "destroying turbos" his response was i have been running a VF34 on my rally car for nearly 2 1/2 years with full anti-lag and launch control and have not yet had my turbo fail on it, nor his engine besides that!

Obviously thats just mine and his opinion.... so another spanner in the works ;-)

i will admit though that my car has been mapped by bob rawle for there being no dump valve, whereas if you where to blank of dump valve and not have a remap your car will run rich on gear changes....

Sp00ks
Old 14 February 2011, 10:44 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

i took my standard recirc off in august last year when i fitted the mods and the turbo is still as strong as before, i don't mind the noise you get on light throttle but the noise at full throttle doesn't half make people jump, to be honest it too loud for me.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:12 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

i love the RALLY SL@G sound effect on gear changes with no dump valve.... big grin factor especially at 1.5 bar ;-)
Old 15 February 2011, 09:46 AM
angry_boy
Scooby Regular

It would be nice to get a definitive answer on this. I want to bin my VTA and if that means I can just blank off the existing pipework without any damaging side effects, happy days! Does it effect different series turbos differently? i.e its ok on the VF series but not the TD or vice versa? Also is this any cop? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 15 February 2011, 09:52 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

All this and still no real answer lol
Old 15 February 2011, 09:53 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Although thinking about it I think it can only shorten turbo life as it's stalling the turbo
Old 15 February 2011, 09:56 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

TattoRick,
This is my thread. Have a read mate. If you'll have any questions send me a PM. I also have pictures when I was removing mine Bailey's CRAP and fitting the standard one back on, so might help.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ifference.html
Old 15 February 2011, 10:00 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

from what I have read on different web sites,taking the BOV on the TD range seems to be ok but the VF seems to be a no no.So i think the only answer is ,do what you like and take a chance(me myself I would blank it off but I am no expert).
as for the ebay items I have never had much luck with them ,if you are going for a BOV i would get a more well know make.

But as said earlier in this thread ,wait an hour and some one will tell you different.

Best of luck
Old 15 February 2011, 10:00 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Will you get better throttle response with an OE or after-market re-circ? - Yes. Use simple physics; the airflow keeps the turbo spooling a little better rather than dumping the charge air to atmosphere (VTA Dump valve or BOV) or pushing it back through the turbo causing comp stall (Running no valve at all).

Will running no valve destroy my turbo? - Possibly, possibly not... this is dependant on condition of your turbo, how much boost you're running, driving style etc..

Will I get any noise running an OE re-circ? - again, depends on boost pressure being ran etc. It will also depend on if you're running a cone filter or an airbox with resonators etc...

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. If you want to let everyone know you drive a turbo, get a VTA dump valve or BOV. If you like the sound of compressor stall, blank it off and worry about knackering a turbo IF and when it happens...

I'll end with this though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEK7POxpVeE
Old 16 February 2011, 07:55 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Well all i can say is that a VF34 run for nearly 3 years without a dump valve with constant antilag = no turbo fail...

Must be perfectly safe too run without!

People get so caught up on dumpvalves these days... they are just as rally people say noise supression devices!!!
Old 16 February 2011, 08:04 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

I have run all 3 on this car, and currently running standard DV.

My views- based on experience and discussion:

- aftermarket DV- dumps all the air out, so the worst fopr performance. Also not what ECU expects, so car will run rich between gears, leading to possible bore wash.

Delete DV- fastest for spool between gears, as you dont lose all that lovely intercooled air, but it is harder on turbo. TD versions are the strongest, but many VF turbos seem fine as well- both will eventually let go, but lots of people running these for 3 plus years.

Standard DV- easiest for standard ECU, doesnt make a stupid noise, and works well. Perhaps margianlly down on the DV delete for performance, but easier on turbo.

I may go back to DV delete if I get the car remapped this year, but otherwise get a standard one off a breaker- doesant sound like you will have car remapped for DV delete.
Old 01 December 2012, 12:09 PM
skylinelee
Scooby Regular

Soz to drag this old chestnut back up but......
I need the fkin wooooosh noise gone, it's burning me head out....! It was on when I bought the car, I've now fit a td05, front mount, full exhaust,decats,headers..... All normal stuff..! Remapped on a link ECU by Andy Carr with Maf delete.... Can I just blank it off or do i need a recirc valve ? Do I need a tweak to the map? Car is a Uk 99 classic v5
Cheers
Lee