Notices

Help my scooby makes a funny noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2011, 10:07 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my scooby makes a funny noise.

My 2005 WRX makes a ticking sound when moving. I can only hear it if the window is open and I'm going over 20mph. Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from but I can hear it from both sides. I can't find out where exactly because it doesn't do it when stationary/ticking over. It does get faster when I'm going quicker.
Could warped brake discs cause that?
boost solenoid?

Any thoughts scooby peeps
Old 08 February 2011, 10:45 PM
yanspeed
Scooby Regular

as daft as it sounds, check your tyres havent picked up a piece of gravel or a nail,as the tyre turns a "foreign body" clicks as it hits the road.
Old 08 February 2011, 11:35 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

mine does the same, I think its the injectors. I was told some are noisier than others. Sounds like a sewing machine whenever you accelerate but let it idle and the noise goes away ?
Old 09 February 2011, 09:27 AM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

you have unknowingly run over a tapdancer lol

as said before, stone or something caught in the tyre tread probably.
Old 09 February 2011, 12:38 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your responses.
I can't see anything in the tyre treads and it has been doing it for months. All through the snow etc. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front of the car somewhere but i can't tell which side.
I don't think its the injectors as it doesn't get quicker at higher revs just at higher speeds.
I will go and have a really close inspection of the tyres later but if not is there anything else that might cause this symptom?
Could it be the brakes? They seem fine but they do make a ticking sound of their own when pressed lightly but i assumed thats because they are grooved & dimpled discs.
Old 09 February 2011, 03:27 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

does the sound get louder if you corner a bit harder than usual ?
my old classic used to do that n it turned out 2 be the disc guards that stop stones n stuff hitting the inner side of the disc
Old 09 February 2011, 08:35 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

i might have the same problem on my 2004 sti..its coming from the passengerside wheel makes a ticking noise afther about 15mins of driving it and gets worse when i corner or sumtimes it goes when i corner...never does it from cold..sum1 said cud be the lip on my disc so had the lip shimmed down..but still makes the noise..cv joint,rack,hub,bearing,springs,driveshaft look ok theres no play on any, but still gettin the noise greased it all up so gonna c how it goes tommoz...but funny as it onley does it afther 15 mins of driving...cud be my disks but they hav sum life left as so do the pads...noise picks up with speed and when driving slow up my drive while turning it make a horrible creeky noise heard to exsplain.

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2011, 09:53 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy-m
does the sound get louder if you corner a bit harder than usual ?
my old classic used to do that n it turned out 2 be the disc guards that stop stones n stuff hitting the inner side of the disc
I haven't noticed that but i can only hear the noise with the windows down and there are cars or a wall alongside for the sound to bounce off. I can't hear it on open road but i can every time i pass a car so its a constant ticking or clicking. I first noticed it when my mate heard it from his scooby driving alongside me.

I'll try throwing it round some corners with the windows open
Old 14 February 2011, 10:16 PM
bigphilly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayukRS
i might have the same problem on my 2004 sti..its coming from the passengerside wheel makes a ticking noise afther about 15mins of driving it and gets worse when i corner or sumtimes it goes when i corner...never does it from cold..sum1 said cud be the lip on my disc so had the lip shimmed down..but still makes the noise..cv joint,rack,hub,bearing,springs,driveshaft look ok theres no play on any, but still gettin the noise greased it all up so gonna c how it goes tommoz...but funny as it onley does it afther 15 mins of driving...cud be my disks but they hav sum life left as so do the pads...noise picks up with speed and when driving slow up my drive while turning it make a horrible creeky noise heard to exsplain.
i've got the same prob as you.i thought it was a wheel bearing so i changed it but it is still there.the next thing i was going to look at is the gearbox but i have got fitted a set of sti brembos and the noise started about 3weeks later
Old 14 February 2011, 10:21 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

injectors
boost solonoid

most likely if on td04 if decatted at around 0.5 bar
actuator slightly opening/shutting under light boost.
try removing boost pipes off the turbo and boost up a little but be carefull as you have no boost control

if so try adjusting very slightly may help

Last edited by maydew; 14 February 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:22 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigphilly
i've got the same prob as you.i thought it was a wheel bearing so i changed it but it is still there.the next thing i was going to look at is the gearbox but i have got fitted a set of sti brembos and the noise started about 3weeks later
try removing the brembo shims if fitted
Old 14 February 2011, 10:38 PM
scoobydoo91
Scooby Regular

Wheel bearings ?
Old 14 February 2011, 11:22 PM
bigphilly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
try removing the brembo shims if fitted
i'll try it 2moro and see what happens
Old 15 February 2011, 08:39 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigphilly
well gettin the bearing fitted this week...alot of people have had this problem..no play on wheel but bering was shot...ive changed pad shimmed the lip everything luks fine it must be the bearing....why wud the gearbox make that kind of noise espacially cuz it **** from the wheel??
Old 15 February 2011, 08:45 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonNedly
I haven't noticed that but i can only hear the noise with the windows down and there are cars or a wall alongside for the sound to bounce off. I can't hear it on open road but i can every time i pass a car so its a constant ticking or clicking. I first noticed it when my mate heard it from his scooby driving alongside me.

I'll try throwing it round some corners with the windows open
u had any luk with urs or is still making the noise im changeing my bearing this week so ill let u no if it solves the problem...if not *** noes
Old 15 February 2011, 09:55 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayukRS
u had any luk with urs or is still making the noise im changeing my bearing this week so ill let u no if it solves the problem...if not *** noes
I'm still waiting for when I've got a day off work that isn't raining so i can have a good look.
My plan is to get wheels off and
Check tread throughly (i don't think its this but meh)
Check for play in wheel/cv joint etc
Check brake shims?

Anything else i should be looking for?
Old 15 February 2011, 11:25 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

remove shims completely.

to check wheel bearing undo everythin else wont show any play.

jayukrs sounds like your cv is shot ,might not show any wear but all it takes is one bearing in the cv to start pitting hence the click click.
you could try removing and washing it out properly and re pack with grease may sort it for a few weeks ,i have the part number for the cir clip from subaru if you need it will be needed to replace cv back onto the hub.

Last edited by maydew; 15 February 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 15 February 2011, 11:51 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Hi. Mine Classic V2 does make similar sound but it's definatelly coming from the clocks. Faster I'm going, faster it's ticking. 100% from the clocks and I've also noticed that it only makes that sound on cold Days ! So it looks like temperature make a difference. Does yours make that sound all the time?
Old 15 February 2011, 11:56 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27
Hi. Mine Classic V2 does make similar sound but it's definatelly coming from the clocks. Faster I'm going, faster it's ticking. 100% from the clocks and I've also noticed that it only makes that sound on cold Days ! So it looks like temperature make a difference. Does yours make that sound all the time?
aint the early ones cable? maybe on its way out corroded ??
Old 16 February 2011, 12:00 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Hi. What cable ?
Old 16 February 2011, 12:03 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

assuming your talking about the speedo as believe early ones are cable
Old 16 February 2011, 12:07 AM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Ok. Cheers mate
Old 16 February 2011, 12:42 AM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bugeye did that just after i bought it,After driving me mad i found it was the break pads they have metal plates (wear indicators) on them that make that noise when there worn as they touch the disc,try bending them back if yours has them and see if it goes

Last edited by bugeyejohn; 16 February 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:39 AM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your responses.
I can't see anything in the tyre treads and it has been doing it for months. All through the snow etc. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front of the car somewhere but i can't tell which side.
I don't think its the injectors as it doesn't get quicker at higher revs just at higher speeds.
I will go and have a really close inspection of the tyres later but if not is there anything else that might cause this symptom?
Could it be the brakes? They seem fine but they do make a ticking sound of their own when pressed lightly but i assumed thats because they are grooved & dimpled discs.
Missed this bit earlier you can garantee its your pads as thats identical to what i had
Old 16 February 2011, 05:17 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

I'm still waiting for when I've got a day off work that isn't raining so i can have a good look.
My plan is to get wheels off and
Check tread throughly (i don't think its this but meh)
Check for play in wheel/cv joint etc
Check brake shims?

Anything else i should be looking for?
uve probly covered most of the checks say my suspention all looks fine no play on anything but ive read a few threads about this and its pointing to the bearing or cv...im changeing bearing as that will eliminate that pads have been changed and disks are fine so if the bearing change has no affect possible it cud be the cv...hope not..tho
Old 16 February 2011, 05:21 PM
jayukRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
remove shims completely.

to check wheel bearing undo everythin else wont show any play.

jayukrs sounds like your cv is shot ,might not show any wear but all it takes is one bearing in the cv to start pitting hence the click click.
you could try removing and washing it out properly and re pack with grease may sort it for a few weeks ,i have the part number for the cir clip from subaru if you need it will be needed to replace cv back onto the hub.
if uve got it mate that wud be great...wat sort of costs wud it be if i need to change cv, parts and labour as wont be able to do this myself im hopeing its the bearing we shall c....theres no play but a few threads ive read say they had the same noise and no play on wheel changed bearing and then its fine...hope its the case with mine..........bloody scoobys.
Old 16 February 2011, 11:46 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

sorry mate forgot to look will post it up 2mora.

process of elimination i am afraid i had very same thing 2 years ago.
done wheel bearing was still there,bottom ball joint,still there in the end was cv joint.
brand new they are very expensive i managed to source a good secondhand one for rougly
£80 quid there very easy to change 30 mins job done.

there few breaking sti in for sale section or give API ring sure he stocks them.
not 100% but sure the were 3 different shafts for 6 speed but if you ring api sure he can confirm this .
Old 17 February 2011, 12:01 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

weather permitting i'm gonna have a look tomorrow and report back.
I've had wheel bearings go before on a different car and don't they sort of drone rather than tick/click?
Old 17 February 2011, 09:39 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

ok so got round to checking this out today.
Nothing in tread = tyres fine
No play in any direction on wheels = wheel bearings fine
No movement at all in cv joint and boot intact = cv fine
No scoring or marking or play in brake discs = discs fine
Loads of pad left and shims fine = brakes fine

I've got no idea now. Maybe it is just the injectors but it seems too loud and i've not heard it on any other imprezas.
Anything else i could check?
Old 17 February 2011, 10:11 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

I would have put my house on the brakes ABS sensor touching the pick up ring on the driveshaft

Quick Reply: Help my scooby makes a funny noise.