Notices

Oil change, i know its been covered guys i am sorry

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 09:07 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change, i know its been covered guys i am sorry

hiya, i am looking to do an oil change very shortly as mine its looking a little dark, I have always serviced my own cars, first a classic mini, then a mark1 MX5, i dont intend this to be any different.

from what i have read it seems very straight forward, apart from one bit, which involves disconnecting a sensor and then cranking? but i have read two different ways to do this, so i am unsure what to do.

I am new too the impreza world, so apologise now for this noob question

many thanks

Ben
Old 30 January 2011, 09:10 PM
4evermad
Scooby Regular

unplug crank sensor crank untill oil light goes out or about 15 sec dont want to kill the starter job done dont forget to fill oil filter always helps
Old 30 January 2011, 09:13 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

crank sensor is under the alternator, just behind the bottom pulley.
Old 31 January 2011, 12:39 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

is there any good links you could post with a good tutorial please?

cheers

Ben
Old 02 February 2011, 11:13 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

Okay i looked through three different service manuals, from a 1996-1998 impreza, a P! impreza and 2002, they all dont even mention about disconnecting the sensor and manually cranking :S, can anyone explain?

cheers

Ben
Old 02 February 2011, 11:18 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/...il-change.html
Old 02 February 2011, 11:32 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have serviced my scooby bugeye STi since 2004 myself. It is now on 103K miles and on Saturday put down 441 bhp on scoobyclinic's rollers on original internals. I have NEVER disconnected any sensors, just pre-filled the filter prior to fitting filled with oil and started it without touching throttle and let it idle for a couple of minutes before switching off and re-checking oil level. With my job I have been involved with the servicing on corsa diesel's through to Cummins V8 engines and have never come across disconnecting sensors to crank engine. Yes if you fire up the engine and rev the nuts off it you will break something. If you leave your car sat for two weeks whilst on holiday are you going to disconnect a sensor, crank it for 20 seconds then reconnect the sensor or are you going to jump in start it up let the oil pressure come up then go for a drive?? Just the same as if you drop the oil there is enough oil left in the bearings for the start up. I also flush my engine every second oil filter change which on here is saiud to be a no no. I stand by my mileage and power figures as evidence that I have done well in the maintenence of my car mechanically!!
Old 03 February 2011, 10:13 AM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

See thats exactly how i would of done it mate, then read differently :S, but three service manuals all saying the same thing for all years is good enough for me

thankyou
Old 03 February 2011, 03:42 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_ben_ds
is there any good links you could post with a good tutorial please?

cheers

Ben
Try https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...nge-guide.html

Originally Posted by 360ste
With my job I have been involved with the servicing on corsa diesel's through to Cummins V8 engines and have never come across disconnecting sensors to crank engine.
Are many of these engine boxers?

Originally Posted by 360ste
If you leave your car sat for two weeks whilst on holiday are you going to disconnect a sensor, crank it for 20 seconds then reconnect the sensor or are you going to jump in start it up let the oil pressure come up then go for a drive?? Just the same as if you drop the oil there is enough oil left in the bearings for the start up.
If you read one of the threads about it you will find that question answered and explained.

I myself had never heard of doing it before getting a Subaru, I've changed the oil once myself since getting my car and did it, for the sake of a few seconds it doesn't really matter if it doesn't really do anything, and if it does save having or helps prevent possible issues then it's a no brainer.
Old 03 February 2011, 04:07 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

what 360ste said
Old 03 February 2011, 04:11 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never disconnected any sensors. Just a normal oil change. If its a fresh built engine & your starting for the first time, then yes you have to crank it.
Old 03 February 2011, 04:26 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

never disconected it myself ,done plenty of oil changes and never had a problem.At the end of the day an engines an engine,flat, v, or straight, but I suspose its personal choice.
Old 03 February 2011, 06:10 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

So its down to personal preference on the whole disconnecting of sensor and cranking manually from what i have read, I wonder why people prefer different ways, I have only heard one way, which has always been the same, thanks for all the help guys

Ben
Old 03 February 2011, 06:47 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

I think its like anything to do with these cars so many people have so many different views.There was something i read about that when you change the spark plugs ,that you should reset the ecu!!!
there is alot of bollox written about Subarus by people who should know better.,but thats forums for you.Best thing to do is ask a mechanic,at the end of the day it is just a car.
Old 03 February 2011, 08:42 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

yeah i read three service manuals as i said above and it doesnt say anything about disconnecting the sensor
Old 03 February 2011, 09:01 PM
ScoobP1
Scooby Regular

Subaru are not going to say that there engine is so fragile that a sensor has to be disconnected to do an oil change but for the matter of about 30 secs you would be as well doing it. I do every time and would advice anyone with a version 6 or before to do it as the oil feeds to the crank is not as good as the newage cars.

Simple to disconnect, turn engine over for 15-20 secs and reconnect sensor. Job done!
Old 04 February 2011, 12:14 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

In response to Trogg's comment about are these engines boxer engines. No they are not but they are at least twice the height if not five times the height (with the CAT straight six I was looking at today) so the affect of gravity will be greater. I accept that if you ask 100 people how to do a oil change you will get a multitude of answers. I stand by what I said and as I put the mileage and output of my engine backs it up, if someone feels they want to disconnect sensors then that is their choice and I will not try to change their opinion. Yes if I had done my first oil change as I do them and the engine had destroyed itself then I would be on the other side of the fence. I believe that you make your own judgement form the advise / information avaliable. SO do your oil changes how you prefer and lets keep the Scoobies rolling.
Old 04 February 2011, 06:26 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to go for the cranking over method but don't now, fact is they fail regardless of this.

Just pre fill the oil filter.
Old 04 February 2011, 08:58 AM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I used to go for the cranking over method but don't now, fact is they fail regardless of this.

Just pre fill the oil filter.
fail regardless??? i have always read that they are bullet proof as long as you maintain them how you should.

Cheers

Ben
Old 04 February 2011, 08:00 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

fail regardless??? i have always read that they are bullet proof as long as you maintain them how you should.

Cheers

Ben
If they were bullet proof the opinions stated in this thread wouldn't exist.

It's very common that when these engines die they die of bottom end faliure. There are various trains of thought regarding oil changing to help prevent this, whether they help or not is another matter. I prefill the filter just because it's good practice on any car when you see how much oil a filter soaks up.
Old 05 February 2011, 04:05 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Ben
Search for the long thread last year called something like "help killed my Scoob" and read through it, Splitpin and others answers especially then decide for yourself whether to prime the oil pump by dry cranking or not.

Old 05 February 2011, 11:13 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

hmmm had a quick flick through this, but this is just where he ran the engine dry and tried driving it with no oil, to be expected tbh, but i do see your point mate

thanks

Ben
Old 05 February 2011, 11:54 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

drop the old oil out
take off old oil filter
fill new oil filter with fresh oil and fit to engine
put new washer on sump plug and screw it back on sump
fill engine with oil
start engine
job done.
Old 06 February 2011, 12:44 AM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

All the garages i have used for oil changes on the 4 subarus i have owned have never disconnected the crank sensor .
Old 06 February 2011, 08:58 PM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

I suppose it's all down too the indivdual, thanks for all your help guys really appreciate it, any advice on oil to use, I am running a awd sport, 2000 plate and it's non turbo
Old 06 February 2011, 09:10 PM
4evermad
Scooby Regular

when i put my comment on this post first post i stick by my guns and will disconnect crank sensor. i work for a big work shop we deal in old vans to high end sports cars. there is no harm in dry cranking and getting oil pressure up. there are many ways to go about this but this is mine and all the people i work with cheers
Old 16 February 2011, 07:42 AM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

okay guys i put my details into opie oils and it recommended me to use Mobil 10w 40 super S or 10W 50, what are your recommends? i read of a guy doing an oil change on here with mobil 1 oils his bottom end has now gone, bare in mind his was quite moddified and turboed, and mine is a non turbo.

thanks

Ben
Old 16 February 2011, 11:28 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ben

If the car is pretty standard, the 10w-40 is the one to go for, the 10w-50 is better for modified/track cars.

Cheers

Tim
Old 19 May 2011, 09:36 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Hi Ben

If the car is pretty standard, the 10w-40 is the one to go for, the 10w-50 is better for modified/track cars.

Cheers

Tim
The owners manual recommends a synthetic 5W/30!

Yet I've never read of anyone on this site using the manufacturers recommended viscosity?
Old 06 June 2011, 05:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Castrol say for fully synthetic use 10w 40 only nothing lower as impreza don't like it

Quick Reply: Oil change, i know its been covered guys i am sorry