Notices

Ic water sprayS

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2011, 11:37 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ic water sprayS

So got my first sti and it has the ic water spray . Whats this all about, is it just a gimmick, if not when and how do i use it ? Thanks.
Old 23 January 2011, 12:24 AM
johnny_in_uk
Scooby Newbie

id like to know too as i got a wrx sti ppp and have seen it.... if its like me evo8 u use it to spray water on intercooler thts if im correct.. sum1 will post the rite answer
Old 23 January 2011, 03:42 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Not really used for daily driving, but on the track (preferably in auto-mode) it can make a big difference. In the case of the GRB Spec C, up to 25bhp difference, with inlet temps being lowered by up to 30 degrees C. As quoted by Toshi Arai in the promotion video for the current Spec C
Old 23 January 2011, 08:16 AM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Ok so it works but does anyone know when to use it and how often. Guessing it must be when the cars on boost but how long do you press the button for ? one second, ten seconds ? seems no one knows for sure !
Old 23 January 2011, 08:43 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5paul5
Ok so it works but does anyone know when to use it and how often. Guessing it must be when the cars on boost but how long do you press the button for ? one second, ten seconds ? seems no one knows for sure !
It is certainly not a gimmick as stated by djmisio85.

From what i read, i'm guessing that you have a STI UK? It only has 1 I/C spray button? If so, you just need to depress it once (no need to hold), you should be able to physically hear the pump working as it sprays water onto the intercooler.

How often? Well, on JDM STIs, there is an Auto switch as well which when activated, automatically sprays when the intake temps reach a certain preset temp. So, i guess you can press it as and when you wanna give it some. If on track, my opinion is to buy the JDM auto switch kit, or press it whenever you come to a straight long enough for you to reach for the button.
Old 23 January 2011, 08:44 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnny_in_uk
id like to know too as i got a wrx sti ppp and have seen it.... if its like me evo8 u use it to spray water on intercooler thts if im correct.. sum1 will post the rite answer
Yes, all I/C spray work for the same reason.
Old 23 January 2011, 11:09 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suberman
my opinion is to buy the JDM auto switch kit
It can't be bought as a kit - it is controlled by the ECU so a major amount of work would be needed to install it.

Any links to the Spec C test?
I'm rather sceptical about the results TBH as I've never seen any real evidence on a charge temp gauge of it working at all on my UK STi.
The only difference I am aware of in the Spec C system is the larger water tank?

Swap the pump with a high pressure one (e.g. aquamist) and much finer spray nozzles onto the IC would be a starting point.
Old 23 January 2011, 11:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tested on mine Butty and I saw less than 1 deg movement in charge temp at the throttle body. Waste of time IMO - just fit a fmic
Old 23 January 2011, 11:31 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Duncan.
I have a charge temp gauge on my TMIC, and have never seen any effect from activating the spray.
Also the chances are that you are going to be operating the system by pushing a button at a time when perhaps you really need both hands on the wheel.
Old 23 January 2011, 12:20 PM
5paul5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suberman
It is certainly not a gimmick as stated by djmisio85.

From what i read, i'm guessing that you have a STI UK? It only has 1 I/C spray button? If so, you just need to depress it once (no need to hold), you should be able to physically hear the pump working as it sprays water onto the intercooler.

How often? Well, on JDM STIs, there is an Auto switch as well which when activated, automatically sprays when the intake temps reach a certain preset temp. So, i guess you can press it as and when you wanna give it some. If on track, my opinion is to buy the JDM auto switch kit, or press it whenever you come to a straight long enough for you to reach for the button.
Just checked mine and it has only one switch, no auto switch, ! its def an import. So some say it works some not, none the wiser then !
Old 23 January 2011, 12:22 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Might be a euro import - they only had one switch.

As said it is ecu controlled and doesnt really do any harm but I really wouldnt be looking to spend the money to fit an aftermarket system (or adapt an auto system for your car) - far too much hassle/money for dubious benefits.
Old 23 January 2011, 01:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The waterspray is there for the benefit of the hygiene and refreshment of underbonnet nested little critters, such as mice.
Old 23 January 2011, 02:19 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I use mine when in traffic, been at a stand still ect. Hoping it will get rid of any heat soak faster once moving.

Im going FMIC very soon though. Would it be worth keeping it and adapting it to spray an FMIC??
Old 23 January 2011, 02:46 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DDS789
I use mine when in traffic, been at a stand still ect. Hoping it will get rid of any heat soak faster once moving.

Im going FMIC very soon though. Would it be worth keeping it and adapting it to spray an FMIC??
No

Old 23 January 2011, 10:14 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Nice one Duncan.

stripping it all out then for weight saving. Never did like filling it up! Extra weight n all
Old 23 January 2011, 11:09 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post9837377
Post #9.
On road cars it is only there to allow rally cars to make use of this feature ie. homologation.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:58 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

i have done a lot of testing/logging with mine which is setup for auto spray through a SimTek. 04 STi, JDM Auto Switch, STi TMIC.

When stationary it can drop temps 3 degrees rather quickly (5 secs) but when giving it large on boost as Duncan says it doesn't really do much.

As for the best time to spray it. Air temps rocket up when you come off boost, if you can log/watch your temps you will see a pattern.

When hard on boost lets say intake temps are 30*, your water spray kicks in due to reaching the target boost, temps and revs that are required & temps usually stabilise and may drop just slightly. You change gear and temps sore to 45* and when you get back on boost they drop back to 30*, you can see this through every gear change. The intercooler acts like a heat soak and as the air is forced through under boost it does a good job of cooling it but all the heat is absorbed by the intercooler and when you lift off the throttle the absorbed goes back into the intake air.
This may be momentary but if the auto spray can be setup between gear changes this is where you will see the most benefit from the waterspray imo.

Last edited by petedotuk; 24 January 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 24 January 2011, 05:55 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Air temps rocket because of the coolant feed around the throttle body. They rise at the rate of about 3-4 deg a second from my experience but when the coolant feed mod is done that rate is slowed significantly to such an extent that the temp rises by about 1 deg every 5 seconds ... !!

So ... given the choice I would rather do the coolant feed routing than fit a pointless 5kg of extra weight.
Old 24 January 2011, 07:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you explain the coolant feed routing mod, Duncan? Is it of benfit on a classic with an FMIC, 2.5 conversion running around 400/400?
Old 24 January 2011, 07:52 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

The lovely cool dense air that has gone through the intercooler then passes through a throttle body that is very kindly heated by coolant from the engine to stop it freezing up.. Not very useful ! Aswell as having an impact on all air that passes into the engine, when the throttle is closed such as decelerating or between gears this air is travelling slowly there and backs up in this very hot heated area and temps rise rapidly !

Join the two coolant hoses together bypassing the throttle body and hey presto - the air is no longer warmed again once it has gone through the intercooler - instant and free power
Old 24 January 2011, 08:56 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I'm fitting an APS FMIC shortly to my Spec C and I'm wondering what to do with the existing TMIC spray system, I think I'm going to remove it all including the 12l resevoir in the boot.

Can the existing manual spray switch be used for switching maps in the Ecutek map perhaps? Plus can the warning flash be removed from the auto spray switch as it will not have anything to sense?
Old 24 January 2011, 09:00 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Bin it

or sell it on

The switch cant be used for that to my knowledge with ecutek but could have a use on syvecs. Take the bulb out iff it comes on but I dont think it will if unplugged and removed.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:24 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can you explain the coolant feed routing mod, Duncan? Is it of benfit on a classic with an FMIC, 2.5 conversion running around 400/400?

http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...howtopic=43496

Some info and a guide here if needed alcazar, if not then it may help someone else
Old 24 January 2011, 09:25 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Anyone suffered TB icing when doing the TB coolant bypass mod?

Is it a pain to prevent the engine from stalling in the midst of winter, when doing that mod?
Old 24 January 2011, 09:30 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968

Is it a pain to prevent the engine from stalling in the midst of winter, when doing that mod?
I think that even in our recent cold weather in the UK that there was never any danger of the throttle body icing over, I believe it's designed for really cold climates and just left on for all other markets.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:34 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Bin it

or sell it on

The switch cant be used for that to my knowledge with ecutek but could have a use on syvecs. Take the bulb out iff it comes on but I dont think it will if unplugged and removed.
I think I'll sell the whole lot as a package, I've seen the 12l resevoir going for a decent amount on here and eBay, I did think about water/meth injection using the resevoir but I binned that idea in the end.

Pity the switch can't be used for another purpose though, never mind I'll keep it in place for a future aftermarket ECU.

Thanks Duncan.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:39 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968

Its also so easy and quick to do you could just revert it back to normal for winter
Old 24 January 2011, 09:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Cheers CF.

And DDS, yeah good thinking!
Old 24 January 2011, 09:59 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Air temps rocket because of the coolant feed around the throttle body. They rise at the rate of about 3-4 deg a second from my experience but when the coolant feed mod is done that rate is slowed significantly to such an extent that the temp rises by about 1 deg every 5 seconds ... !!

So ... given the choice I would rather do the coolant feed routing than fit a pointless 5kg of extra weight.
Coolant bypass is on my to do list.
Old 25 January 2011, 07:46 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Jeff : We may have by passed your throttlebody cooling as a matter of course. We do so regularly. If not give me a ring and I will give you a couple of pointers.
Carb ice will not effect cars in UK climatic conditions.
APS FMIC will cost 3 time the Hybrid and from testing I can assure you, you will enjoy HIGHER ACTs.