Notices

MY03 WRX fuel line leak

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2011, 08:25 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 WRX fuel line leak

Hi all, i have a 2003 wrx, with vf28, sti 550's, remap etc- i took the manifold off when doing the mods but been running very well for the past 3-4months with no probs, always been fine through the last few hard winters we have had (-13) but the last couple cold mornings (-2) when at a stand still (a junction etc) with the blower motor on theres a strong smell of fuel coming in, its only for 5-10mins during warm up. i cant see any visible leak but it appears to be over the right hand side of the engine, its showing all the signs of the common bugeye fuel line leak but looks to have the modified fuel pipes. im going to have a closer look tomos once properly cold but im a bit stumped! has anyone come across it? didnt really want to have the manifold off again :-(
Old 22 January 2011, 02:16 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

found the leak, its ever so slightly weeping when very cold from the rubber joining pipe under the turbo intake pipe- its the same place that the bugeyes suffer from yet has the modified pipes. think i'll use sum good quality after market fuel hose- just a bugger to take the manifold off
Old 22 January 2011, 03:30 PM
dexster81
Scooby Regular

Be very careful as some peoples cars have caught fire because of this problem
Old 22 January 2011, 05:38 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

well f**k me sideways,i had this smelly problem last night and found a small pool in exactly the same place.once warm its was ok.today it did the same so i tweaked the jubilee clip that i could get too and fingers crossed this has stopped it but i was unaware it was so common!!!!!
Old 22 January 2011, 08:53 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

its only a weep- not actually dripping, just enough to cause a bad smell. vosa and subaru are aware of the prob on bugeyes and never made it a safety recall because it wasnt a sufficient air-fuel mix to ignite, also it normally seals itself.

i would just tighten the clip if i could but its under the turbo intake and cant get to it
but if you have a pool of petrol it would appear to be alot worse- hopefully you have sorted it other wise sort that ASAP! im confident with mine that its not a urgent problem