Tec help please, 1995 impreza turbo classic

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2011, 06:24 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tec help please, 1995 impreza turbo classic

Hi, could anybody please help me?
I have a 1995 impreza turbo 4x4 (not wrx or sti) classic.
i bought the car a month ago and after puting it in for an mot found that it has a decat down pipe on it!
i have bought a second hand cat for it but the cat i have bought has a lamba fitting at the top of the pipe and one at the bottom.
The lamba that is attached to the car isnt long enough to fit in to the top hole and there is noughting thurther down the car to fit to the bottom of the pipe?
I called scoobyworld and the guy (mike) said"the lamba for my model is in the mannifold and not the cated down pipe and to put a lamba bung in to the top hole and to ignore the bottom one.
However... could sombody tell me were to fit the lamba sensor on to the mannifold?, the wires from the lamba seem a little short!

Old 13 January 2011, 07:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car should already have the lambda in the manifold, if not, it would be blowing a gale from the vacant hole.

im guessing the CAT you have bought was from a 98 onwards classic ?

the hole at the bottom of the cat is the cat on fire sensor
Old 13 January 2011, 08:57 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

I bought it from "4ndy" on this site, he did say it was the one i needed!
if its from a 98 onwards, would that mean it is wrong?
There is a connecter for the lambda in the pic to connect to the car, i am not a mechanic but why would there be the attachment for it if there was already one in the manifold?
Old 13 January 2011, 09:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

im confused LOL

You bought a Standard CAT off the site, it arrived, but has a lambda fitted to it at the top of it ? (The pic you have posted above is that the lamda you have in the top of the CAT) ?

And has a smaller threaded hole near the 2.5" flange that has nothing in it ?

Is that right ?
Old 13 January 2011, 09:16 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Sorry if i am being confusing!
The cated d-pipe (standard cat)i bought from this site from 4ndy as my car came with a de-cat fitted to it!
When the mechanic fitted the standard cat he said that there was no were on the standard cat to fit the lambda sencer to....
i then called scooby world and "mike" one of the guys there said that the lambda didnt connect to the standard cat and that it conects to the manifold!
He said to put a lambda blocker in the top hole of the standard pipe and to ignore the "cat on fire" hole at the bottom of the pipe.
The problem is... were is the connection to the manifold situated?

Hope this is a little clearer LOL!
Old 13 January 2011, 09:21 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cool.

All what you were told is true by Mike.(although you can fit the cat on fire sensor if you liked)

The original lambda is on the drivers side of the manifold not too far away from the up-pipe to the turbo.

If you have an undertray fitted to the underside this may be hiding it.

Hope that helps
Old 13 January 2011, 09:28 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

MY93-96 cars (i.e. yours!) has the O2 sensor is in the driver side manifold section. Therefore the OEM catted d/p just has the EGT (cat on fire) boss at the top (and obviously no O2 boss).

A 1998 d/p however, I think, has both the EGT and O2 sensors in the d/p. So this will mean that the boss for the O2 sensor in this MY d/p is redundant and needs to be plugged. It then just remains whether you can get your 1995 car's EGT sensor to reach/fit into the 1998 d/p's other boss...

Last edited by joz8968; 13 January 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 13 January 2011, 09:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
MY93-96 cars (i.e. yours!) has the O2 sensor is in driver side manifold section. Therefore the the OEM catted d/p just has the EGT (cat on fire) boss at the BOTTOM (and obviously no O2 boss).

A 1998 d/p, however, I think, has both the EGT and O2 sensors in the d/p. So this will mean that the boss for the O2 sensor in this MY d/p is not needed and needs to be plugged. It then just remains whether you can get your 1995 car's EGT sensor to reach/fit into the other boss...

Corrected in bold
Old 13 January 2011, 09:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

lol. I couldn't remember.

But yeah, it would be after the cat. Obviously.

The sad thing is, I still have my old 93 WRX's OEM d/p not more than 10ft away from me.
Old 13 January 2011, 09:51 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Ok so, the lambda in the pic, should be the one that goes into the manifold on the drivers side right?
Then plug off the top hole and leave the bottom one, and all should be good for the emissions test right!

I have 2 days left before i need to pay for another MOT to get this fixed!
Old 13 January 2011, 09:57 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yes,BUT,Does the CAT you have have just bought have the CAT on fire sensor already inside it (at the bottom of the CAT) or is there an empty bung/Hole ?

as if its empty,it will blow so this too will also be required to be bunged with a plug or fit the sensor (not neccasary to connect it,but might as well if you can find the other plug on the cars loom for it
Old 15 January 2011, 12:12 PM
4ndy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yip, I sent the wrong catted downpipe

It came off a my94 wrx but it won't fit a my95 uk turbo, beyond me.

Anyway the Downpipe will be going back up for sale if anyone is interested, will fit MY96-00 ?? Has two ports, one behind turbo and one near cat. Snakecharmer is going to assist with the shipping but a full refund has been offered to him from myself.

Andy
Old 15 January 2011, 01:03 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Yea, damned thing has had me running in circles for the past two days!
I took the car to 6 different mechanics 2 being experianced with scoobies and all said "wrong cat"
I got in touch with cat2u and with the reg number STILL bought up 4 different types of cat!
They had to contact there warehouse to get a definate on the right cat!
4ndy has been a good sport about it, great bloke to deal with!
Thanx for all the help from you guys!

cheers
Snake
Old 15 January 2011, 01:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

i dont know whats going on here, the CAT should fit, bolt wise yet it has different location of lamdba thats all.
Even if it were from the later classic, you just bung the top hole with a blank plug,fit the cat on fire sensor at the bottom of the CAT and job done ?????
Old 15 January 2011, 01:53 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

There is NO WERE on the manifold to insert the lambda and the lambda conection on the cat(from 4ndy) was to low for the lambda to get to!
When the de-cat was on the car, the lambda fitted in to the top conection on the de-cat!
I am going to get some side by side pics of the two cats 4ndy's and the new one from cats2u and will post them on here to show the difference!
Old 15 January 2011, 04:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

So your saying you have a 1995 WRX but the manifold has no lamdba hole in it ?

so,someones been fiddlin and fitted a set of manifolds from a later classic then.

some people have had issues when they run the early classics that are meant to have the lambda in the header in the downpipe,but fingers crossed

you werent trying to get the lamda probe into the CAT on fire hole were you, the smaller hole after the buldge in the downpipe ?
Old 15 January 2011, 04:52 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

This is My old Cat,this is the CAT on fire sensor

This is my Sports CAT,which is suitable for all classics, note the bung fitted as i have the early classic,this is where the lambda goes on later classics

Old 15 January 2011, 05:30 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

No, i have a impreza 1995 4x4 turbo (NOT WRX/STI)
I have not done any fitting or mechanical stuff on the car.... i pay people to do that as i have a very low tolerance level, and thats not good for ANY car! LOL....
Old 15 January 2011, 06:04 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Strange. AFAIK, the UK MY93-96 cars are no different to the Jap MY93-96 with respect to the lambda and EGT sensor positions. So I am miffed that there is no boss for the lambda in the headers(?!?!)

If that is defo the case, can you not keep Andy's decat... And extend the wiring of the lambda, so as to reach and fit into the his d/p's O2 boss?
Old 15 January 2011, 07:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Same Here Joz.

This is where it should go

But if you are 110% positive this isnt available,later headers have been fitted.

either way,the CAT itself is correct,its the lamdba you are having issues with. as said,extend the lamdba plug,cut it off,solder in 2 foot of wire to rejoin it,this will give you the length to attach the plug to the cars wiring loom plug
Old 15 January 2011, 08:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Old 15 January 2011, 09:17 PM
bridge16
Scooby Regular

im having similar problems with mine, 94 import, standard downpipe (cat) had rusted in a couple of places, so bought a de-cat, fits fine, but came with 2 sensor holes, bottom one is plugged, top one had the sensor in. the standard sensor is alot smaller than the holes on the decat, so wont fit anyway, so i thought i may be able to use the existing sensor in the top of the decat pipe and plug it in to the standard plug, where i unplugged the old sensor, but the plugs are different. so im guessing the decat pipe and sensor that came with it are for a newer classic??
so at the moment i haven't got a sensor plugged in at all and it seems to be running fine, is this ok to do?
Old 15 January 2011, 09:29 PM
snakecharmer
Scooby Newbie

Grrr.... joz8968 when you post it takes my brain five minutes to start reading the text due to your avatar!......

I have ordered the new cat now and it has been despatched, so i will see how it goes!

cheers
Snake
Old 15 January 2011, 09:47 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bridge16
im having similar problems with mine, 94 import, standard downpipe (cat) had rusted in a couple of places, so bought a de-cat, fits fine, but came with 2 sensor holes, bottom one is plugged, top one had the sensor in. the standard sensor is alot smaller than the holes on the decat, so wont fit anyway, so i thought i may be able to use the existing sensor in the top of the decat pipe and plug it in to the standard plug, where i unplugged the old sensor, but the plugs are different. so im guessing the decat pipe and sensor that came with it are for a newer classic??
so at the moment i haven't got a sensor plugged in at all and it seems to be running fine, is this ok to do?
when you say the plugs are different, do you mean a different shape or is it because the lambda that came with the decat is a 4 pin plug and the plug on the cars Loom is a 3 pin plug ?
Old 15 January 2011, 09:50 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snakecharmer
Grrr.... joz8968 when you post it takes my brain five minutes to start reading the text due to your avatar!......
Yeah, I'm conducting a social experiment.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

As i said above, you should have the manifold with the sensor in,but seems you have these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Imprez...item3a6254d0e2

you can see the lamdba hole on these, the far left one in the pic, the knuckle bit sticking out

Last edited by The Rig; 15 January 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:09 PM
bridge16
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
when you say the plugs are different, do you mean a different shape or is it because the lambda that came with the decat is a 4 pin plug and the plug on the cars Loom is a 3 pin plug ?
both the decat plug is 4 pin and the loom plug is 2 pin i think? and different shape plugs, do i need to join any of them so i do have a lamda connected?
Old 15 January 2011, 10:14 PM
bridge16
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
As i said above, you should have the manifold with the sensor in,but seems you have these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Imprez...item3a6254d0e2

you can see the lamdba hole on these, the far left one in the pic, the knuckle bit sticking out

to be honest i havnt looked at the actual manifold, will look tomorrow, so what if there is sensor hole or isnt? if there is, is it ok not to have one in the decat?
Old 16 January 2011, 04:08 PM
bridge16
Scooby Regular

i have just looked on the manifold and there is a sensor on the drivers side, so is it ok not to have on in the down pipe?
Old 16 January 2011, 04:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yes!

So that means there'd just be the single EGT boss after the cat at the bottom i.e. as from d/p's for the 'correct' MY93-96 cars.

But even if you did have a later downpipe, with the O2 sensor boss on it as well, then you could simply just weld it over (or screw in a short bolt, etc.).

Last edited by joz8968; 16 January 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tec help please, 1995 impreza turbo classic