Notices

comman faults on version 1 or 2 sti

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2011, 03:50 PM
SPORTWAGONROY
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default comman faults on version 1 or 2 sti

Hi everyone i recently sold my uk turbo about 6 months ago and bought a mk3 astra Gsi running r1 carbs but miss the scoob.

so now im wanting another scoob but i want an early sti version 1 or 2
is there owt i should keep my eye out for ie problems with engine any comman faults i should no about any answers would be much appreciated

thanks in advance roy
Old 13 January 2011, 04:01 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to get one with loads of receipts for servicing!
check clutch bite & feel etc (as with all scoobs)
any blue'ish smoke out of the back possibly indicating worn piston rings or something like that (best check on start up from cold)
Listen out for 'crank knock'
Test the gears after a long drive so the gear oil has warmed up & listen to all changes for crunching (worn syncros etc)
check all body panels for alignment & resprays etc
check tyre wear
any bits of foam under the drivers seat meaning the seat is deteriorating, usually at the front where the seat slider handle is.
Check if any mods to ecu like does it have a scooby ecu fitted - this enables it to run ok UK 97 ron (super unleaded) without the need of octane booster

usual stuff
Old 13 January 2011, 04:09 PM
SPORTWAGONROY
Scooby Regular

thanks mate will check all of this does the version 2 have a closed deck block in
Old 13 January 2011, 05:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont worry about having a closed deck block or not, that will be the least of your worries, the crappy chocolate internals (they are not as good as say a version 3 STI) will let you down before even an open deck block will.

Just look for all the common issues on any car, then look to see when the belts were changed last, and the oils, a badly maintained car will cost you dear in the long run

Tony
Old 13 January 2011, 06:01 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so long as the engine does not knock or chuck the water out under boost its all about overall condition, there are plenty of tatty ones about. bad body repairs, missed services, bad mods, etc. try to find an orginal one.
the version 1 and 2 sti will run fine on tesco 99 ron or shell optimax provided it hasnt been badly chipped. a scoobyecu would be a bonus.
the internals are perfectly upto the job provided the car has been serviced and not been badly modified. for example if the car has had a bleed valve fitted, walk away.
The internals are no worse than some of the newer stis, yes you can buy stronger but v1/v2 sti will have forged pistons and when compared to the new sti they are at least fit for purpose.
Old 13 January 2011, 06:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by dj219957
The internals are no worse than some of the newer stis, yes you can buy stronger but v1/v2 sti will have forged pistons and when compared to the new sti they are at least fit for purpose.
They have different pistons to the newer STI's, these have dogbone pistons, the version 3 has better pistons, plus the engines changed going from version 2 to version 3, phase 1 to phase 1.5, a few changes took place when they did this

Tony
Old 13 January 2011, 08:13 PM
SPORTWAGONROY
Scooby Regular

thanks everyone just needed some info on what to look for ive owned a uk turbo but totally different to run a import
Old 14 January 2011, 01:15 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

hello roy,
how much have you got to spend?????
sti ra defo have cdb, normal sti may have cdb but not definite.
if twas me i would want to see an oil pressure gauge, if that read ok and i couldnt hear any nasty noises, should be ok.
i would try and get a v3/4 if it was me, better pistons and heads, i have seen some unbelievable bargains
Old 15 January 2011, 01:36 PM
RAPID RABBIT
Scooby Regular

i've had my v2 555 sti for 4 years now. 1st mod i did was to fit an apexi ecu so i could tune it to uk fuel.
since i've only had to change the coil packs (always buy new about 200 pounds) also new hydraulic lifters and brake calipers to 4 pots.
most reliable car i've had but i do keep it well maintained with regular good oil chages and new timing belts.