Notices

top entry to front entry on classic.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 11:19 PM
dufus
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default top entry to front entry on classic.

Hi all, my mum owns a 95 classic auto saloon. Since its been owned its gone through 3 td04 top entry as they all been bought but as second hand. So last for about 15,000 miles then oil seals go. Because its an auto the box needs an ecu to run etc. So i cant buy a td05 new ecu and have it mapped as my gearbox then wont change gear. Been scooting around and i can pick up a recon front entry td04 for about 190 plus vat. But mines top entry. What work is needed to convert top entry to front entry. Obvs you need:
Inlet rises,
Airbox from face lift etc
Pipework
Does the P/S pump need to be moved, and does the water expansion bottle need to be removed or is this all i have to do?
Any help appreciated
Regards
Luke
Old 08 January 2011, 11:25 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just remove the compresssor housing from your old one, and replace it on the new one.
Thats if you are doing TD04 to TD04.
Old 08 January 2011, 11:36 PM
dufus
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thats essentually what i want to achive and for a little more torque to
Old 09 January 2011, 12:25 AM
rogos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dufus
Hi all, my mum owns a 95 classic auto saloon. Since its been owned its gone through 3 td04 top entry as they all been bought but as second hand. So last for about 15,000 miles then oil seals go. Because its an auto the box needs an ecu to run etc. So i cant buy a td05 new ecu and have it mapped as my gearbox then wont change gear. Been scooting around and i can pick up a recon front entry td04 for about 190 plus vat. But mines top entry. What work is needed to convert top entry to front entry. Obvs you need:
Inlet rises,
Pipework
Does the P/S pump need to be moved, and does the water expansion bottle need to be removed or is this all i have to do?
Any help appreciated
Regards
Luke
you can run any my 94>96 ecu because the gearbox runs its own seperate ecu that is piggybacked onto various engine sensors.my 95 wrx wagon is also an auto and when i bought it, it had a tdo4 and 4b ecu fitted. it now has a tdo5h top entry turbo fitted and a chipped sti ra 7k ecu which is giving me a healthy 293hp/251lbft the gearbox works fine with no brobs at all. personally it would be easier and cheaper to just change to a tdo5 top entry turbo and change the engine ecu to something like a z4 which is mapped for a tdo5 or at least thats what i did to begin with anyway, if you did this it should put you somewhere in the region of 250-260 bhp and thats a hell lot better than the auto's stock 208 bhp
Old 09 January 2011, 05:02 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dufus
Inlet rises,
Pipework
Any help appreciated
Regards
Luke

Hi no need to change from a top entry to a front entry ,do as suggested above and just bolt on a td05 .I have fitted 3 x tdo5 conversions to automatic cars in the last 7 months and as long as you change the ecu to something like a Z4 then the ecu will fuel to the correct size turbo. The only thing you will notice is the POWER light will flash up 16 times on start up(different start up software on the oe 3b/4b ecus),but this is nothing to worry about as the car will drive as normal once on the move ,and with a few supporting mods should see you around the 250 -260 bhp
and a big improvement in mid range torque that your 220 ps td04 is providing.

Last edited by midnight; 09 January 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 21 November 2011, 10:02 AM
ha5ti3
Scooby Regular

I want to achive this aswell i have a td05 top entry but just purchesed a vf22 wich i wanted fitted for more power but is a front entry how would i convert this sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 21 November 2011, 10:17 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

just fit a 90° bend mate works a treat on vf's