Notices

Fuel gauge only reading half full when full, Fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2011, 07:44 PM
martek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge only reading half full when full, Fixed!!

Hi Guy's
06reg, WRX STI Blobeye.
I posted up not long ago about the weird way my cars fuel gauge was acting.
Basically when full, it only read half full on the gauge, everything else as normal, goes to empty and then the fuel warning light comes on etc.
Anyway today i delved in, first off took out the fuel pump from the boot and checked the fuel sender, everything looked ok, so got the trusty multimeter out, when sender at low level read 55ohms, when at full level read 0.5ohms, hmmm nothing wrong there, so connected the fuel sender back up while out of the tank, put fuel sender at low level read empty on the fuel gauge, put fuel sender to full and it only went to half way up the fuel gauge
So put it all back together and then had a look at the other fuel sender on the left side of the tank, again stripped it out and everything ok
Connected it back up while out of the tank, put the fuel sender at low level and the same but when the fuel sender put at full level the Fuel gauge rose to max, Woo-Hoo fixed it, er fixed what exactly
Put it all back together and it's sitting at max on the fuel gauge with a full tank of fuel, i can only assume the secondary fuel sender had got stuck, but it's now working super
Strange that Subaru use two fuel senders!! in the tank.
Cheers Dave.
Old 04 March 2011, 06:47 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

mine is doing exact same thing is it easy to remove senders? I know the tanks under the seat but never really had a good look when I had the seats out, is it an easy job?

Just tried disconnecting battery hoping that would help but it did sod all, the fuel guage remained half full even when disconnected.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:53 PM
slow13
Scooby Newbie

i could do with help 2 i have a non turbo bugeye and fuel gauge stopped workin took sender on driver side out and looked ok so checked gauge on dash was stuck eney 1 help