Notices

Early classic vss problems

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2010, 06:28 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early classic vss problems

Fitted my boost gauge today. Everything all good apart from when I took it out for a blast, after a couple of boosts the engine management light came on and it felt like I was hitting boost cut.

Now, I pull over and read the code. Get fault 33, which is vss(2).

Sooo.... What I think / know has happened is this:

When I was running wire for boost gauge thru bulkhead, I was tugging on the grommet which also surrounds the vss cable, and must have pinged it loose as problems have only started since.

The end of the cable is metal with the usual square speedo cable drive (both ends are ok, not snapped) running up inside it. This end of the cable has an orangey rubber sheath and it seems to plug into a rectangular box which then leads to gearbox.

Anyone got any tricks on putting this cable back into the box? I've pushed it in, but a slight knock and it comes loose. Also, I don't think it's going home fully as speedo isn't working now, despite the cable being intact. The drive cable turns when I twist it from the engine bay side. Was gonna put a drill on it to see if it makes the speedo register that way.

I did pull the drive cable out completely and push the end into the box and try and twist it but couldn't get it to turn. So.... I Reckon I'm not pushing the end in right.

Help!
Old 29 December 2010, 06:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K1985
Fitted my boost gauge today. Everything all good apart from when I took it out for a blast, after a couple of boosts the engine management light came on and it felt like I was hitting boost cut.

Now, I pull over and read the code. Get fault 33, which is vss(2).

Sooo.... What I think / know has happened is this:

When I was running wire for boost gauge thru bulkhead, I was tugging on the grommet which also surrounds the vss cable, and must have pinged it loose as problems have only started since.

The end of the cable is metal with the usual square speedo cable drive (both ends are ok, not snapped) running up inside it. This end of the cable has an orangey rubber sheath and it seems to plug into a rectangular box which then leads to gearbox.

Anyone got any tricks on putting this cable back into the box? I've pushed it in, but a slight knock and it comes loose. Also, I don't think it's going home fully as speedo isn't working now, despite the cable being intact. The drive cable turns when I twist it from the engine bay side. Was gonna put a drill on it to see if it makes the speedo register that way.

I did pull the drive cable out completely and push the end into the box and try and twist it but couldn't get it to turn. So.... I Reckon I'm not pushing the end in right.

Help!
I had the very same problem.
I ended up removing the clocks and slightly re-routing the cable to give it an extra inch or two. The cable seemed to be 'just' and 'only just' long enough. It either ran under or over the cross brace behind the dash. After i re-routed it, the clocks actually pushed against the cable so pushed the cable towards the delimiter/gearbox. Problem solved.

If the speedo is not working then the CEL will show and the ECU will be in limp mode, 4500rpm max.
Old 29 December 2010, 07:31 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Argh!!! I've just mounted my boost gauge on the steering column shroud! Oh well. It's only on with double sided tape so no too bad. Looking slick rick!

How much of a barsteward is it to remove the clocks? Has anyone got a pic of there the cable enters the box off the gearbox, so I can see how far it needs pushing in?

Cheers all!
Old 29 December 2010, 07:54 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K1985
Argh!!! I've just mounted my boost gauge on the steering column shroud! Oh well. It's only on with double sided tape so no too bad. Looking slick rick!

How much of a barsteward is it to remove the clocks? Has anyone got a pic of there the cable enters the box off the gearbox, so I can see how far it needs pushing in?

Cheers all!
OK slick rick, They are a little bit of a pita but very do-able. Don't pull to hard on them, there are 3 or 4 plugs on the back, defo one each end, and either one or two in the middle-ish. Try and get your hand behind and gently pull on the loom to give a bit more length, do NOT pull the plugs or clocks.
Once they are out you will see the best way for the speedo cable to run. After you have sorted that, ensure the cable is located in the box end. Then re-fit the clocks. Push the drivers seat right back and fold the back down. Now the best bit, lay in the seat, on your back with your head in the footwell. With the aid of a torch locate the cable in the back of the clock, hey presto!

You may be able to do all this from the footwell without removing the clocks, but...
Old 29 December 2010, 09:00 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Ah I guess I better do it tomorrow then. How displeasing! Lol

Will have a suss out in the morning before a rip the poor thing to bits!