Notices

The £300 replacement ignition key.

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2010, 03:41 PM
Pablofb7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The £300 replacement ignition key.

Yes, really - from West Sussex Subaru in Crawley.

I had that radio interference knocking out the immobilser type problem. It happened at Chailey Garage where I'd dropped it off for Jon to put on new tyres.

When he came to start work on it the next morning - nothing, nil, nada, zip, zero, f@@k all. At that stage I didn't know what the problem was, but reading other posts here put me on the right track.

We tried the push-it-down-the road trick with out success. I called the IM Group's Subaru Tech Services and they confirmed it was most likely a Police radio aerial near to the garage. They gave me the car's unlock code (after some security checks) but this didn't do the trick.

With no alternative Britannia Rescue trailered the car to Gatwick. Next day the news was bad. The key pad and immobiliser weren't talking to each other. The spare key was knackered and the main not much better and the Sigma Alarm ECU was faulty.

As there was no way to get the unlock code to work the only option was to replace bits. They started with the ECU and fortunately this proved the keypad was OK so didn't need replacing.

They supplied a Key Solution for the spare and that was that. Just the bill to settle which came to a squeak under £300

So now I've got a new key, a new unlock code that works with the pad and a new Sigma ECU. Question is - dare I go back to Chailey Garage? Or will whatever transmissions are floating around there fry this unit?

My advice? Check you have the unlock code and check it works. The interference issue from other hi powered aerials will only get worse as the Govt sells spectrum off for new applications. Wimax is the next one I believe.

Rgds

Paul
Old 27 December 2010, 04:00 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, that should be the first thing people do when they get a car, check the alarm code.

I'm assuming you have a pre-99 classic? Did the key on the dash flash at all, and did they mention any error codes?
Old 27 December 2010, 05:06 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

HMMM, might be a problem for me as dont know the code. How can I find it?

Also sorry to pop onto thread.
Old 27 December 2010, 05:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My ignition barrel started sticking on my van, its 3 months out of warranty and they would not replace it for free £222 for a new barrel.
Old 27 December 2010, 09:09 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Feel for you dude. It also happens with bugeye's. I think you got off lightly there @ only £300. If you find my thread, it makes interesting reading on this matter.