Notices

Air intake pipe split.

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2010, 02:06 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake pipe split.

My air intake pipe onto the turbo has got a spilt in it. Just wondering if the silicone ones are any good? Or should I try and get hold of a oem one?
Old 27 December 2010, 02:34 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Silicone replacement for me all day long.

Have a look here.
Old 27 December 2010, 06:39 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Had 2 impreza's now and both eventually had splits in the air intake pipe, personally i have only fitted the oem replacement parts never fitted and run with the silcone type so cant really comment on which is better but for price the silcone pipe is way over priced if you ask me but each to there own.
Old 27 December 2010, 06:52 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

How much is oem part then? Suppose with used one it's no doubt going to spilt again at soon point.
Old 27 December 2010, 07:19 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

I bought my uk classic in feb this year with a split intake pipe got a very good second hand one for £20 and fingers crossed no problems .
They always seem to go on the more flexible bit that fastens to the turbo , maybe a common fault with them as they are only fastened on with a jubilee clip, so in thinking then maybe the silicone type would be better as the thickness of the wall is thicker thus getting a tighter connection between turbo and intake pipe.
I suppose it all boils down to money, but think they both do the same job and not much difference in them.
Old 27 December 2010, 07:22 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

you can also get them off ebay for 50 quid plus postage,,,,, and before people start it is just a intake pipe so will be sucking in air and not actually pressurised
Old 27 December 2010, 08:47 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Er they are pressurised to atleast a bar thats why the side walls of the oem parts are metal so as not to collapse.

If buying an aftermarket part then make sure you get one that has metal reinforcement walls so as not to suck itself to death...!
Old 27 December 2010, 09:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but i'm just a 'bling tart'

As long as they are OE or better.
Old 28 December 2010, 10:25 AM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

Looking at a samco or Perrin replacement one. Are they both equally as good?
Old 28 December 2010, 06:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leecalcars
Er they are pressurised to atleast a bar thats why the side walls of the oem parts are metal so as not to collapse.

If buying an aftermarket part then make sure you get one that has metal reinforcement walls so as not to suck itself to death...!
Just a small correction - it's negative pressure in this pipe.

JohnD
Old 28 December 2010, 06:21 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

what from the airfilter to the turbo ?

or we talking about turbo to intercooler ?

as they aint pressurised from the air filter to a bar apart from atmospheric due to the hole attached to the air filter
Old 28 December 2010, 10:45 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my uk classic in feb this year with a split intake pipe got a very good second hand one for £20 and fingers crossed no problems .
They always seem to go on the more flexible bit that fastens to the turbo , maybe a common fault with them as they are only fastened on with a jubilee clip, so in thinking then maybe the silicone type would be better as the thickness of the wall is thicker thus getting a tighter connection between turbo and intake pipe.
I suppose it all boils down to money, but think they both do the same job and not much difference in them.
I have bought 2 of these in the last 10 months,one for my 99 uk turbo & 1 for my current 00 turbo,both from ebay both in vgc .1st one cost me £50 in feb 10, last one cost me £35 in May10,so its all about knowing what/where to look.
Firstly the samco is a hell of lot more stronger than the oe pipe due to the wire braiding,and secondly it is a lot wider with no corrigated bits leading onto the turbo which in theory will allow more air and a smoother flow of air into the turbo.
Old 31 December 2010, 10:18 AM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

All sorterd now with thanks to Harryr34 for selling me his old samco one. Was a complete nightmare to take old intake pipe off but got there in the end.
Old 31 December 2010, 01:35 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When the turbo is on boost, it's drawing air in from the atmosphere (via the filter) and said air is moving at a great rate. This means that, transiently, at any given point along the intake pipe, there's a greater pressure of air (atmos. at around 14.5psi) pressing down on the outside wall of the pipe. The air, however, on the inside, because it is moving fast, means that it's not static enough to exert anywhere near the same amount of pressure against the inside of the pipe. Indeed, a partial vacuum is created, so the pressure acting on the inside of the pipe is close to nothing!

The net result of all this is that the air pressure acting on the outside of the pipe is much greater than the air pressure acting at the corresponding location on the inside.

Such a pressure differential could therefore cause the intake pipe to collapse.

Last edited by joz8968; 31 December 2010 at 01:45 PM.