Notices

Strange noises and momentary loss of boost on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2010, 01:21 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Strange noises and momentary loss of boost on acceleration

Hi guys, as the title says my my00 has started making a funny blowback sounding noise when you take your foot off the throttle since I fitted a hks mushroom filter, I thought at first that it was just induction noises that I never used to hear when it was enclosed, but last night I was driving down the duel carriageway and I kept hearing the sucking sound getting louder for a few seconds then quieting down under a fixed amount of throttle, I thought it was odd so I turned the music down and listened off the next island and when accelerating on about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle I would get this initial loud sucking sound then it would go quieter then build normally, this morning on my way home i had the same thing but when I started to accelerate for the first few seconds I could hear what sounded like blowing and i had weak acceleration then the noise would stop and the boost would kick in, my first thoughts were the dump valve was nackered and was staying open when i first put my foot down then closing, but it dumps normally.. Sorry this is such an essay but it's hard to explain, any advice would be very appreciated, and merry christmas! Dan.
Old 25 December 2010, 04:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the issue came about when you fitted a hks kit?
It worked perfectly before fitting?
Do i really need to spell this out?

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 04:36 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
Oh come on Tony. Stop being so cryptic and just tell the OP straight.
Old 25 December 2010, 06:47 PM
350bhptype~R
Scooby Regular

Tony
you no tony your so blunt with people just becuz they dont have your knowlage on subarus , this forum is for helping eachother with problems not making people feel stupid , every thread you reply to great info bad attitude!! i just hope you havent got the same attitude to peoples faces becuz you will get knocked down a peg or 2 one day.
Old 25 December 2010, 06:56 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there this sound is typical for HKS(because is from Foam or is foamed),i have same sound on mine(but on mine is much louder,due bonnet/hood).First time i have been scared but now i'm pleased with this sound....

Jura

P.s:Merry X-Mass to you and your
Old 25 December 2010, 06:58 PM
350bhptype~R
Scooby Regular

this one for turbo dan try putting the standard airbox back on mate that may cure the problem.and i think the sound ur hearing is the recirc dumpvalve coming back through the filter. keep us posted , hope u find the prob bud and merry xmas.
Old 25 December 2010, 07:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 350bhptype~R
you no tony your so blunt with people just becuz they dont have your knowlage on subarus , this forum is for helping eachother with problems not making people feel stupid , every thread you reply to great info bad attitude!! i just hope you havent got the same attitude to peoples faces becuz you will get knocked down a peg or 2 one day.
You dont need any knowledge on anything, its a simple deduction, put on hks and its not running right, ran right before putting on, errrrrm is that so hard to work out?
If people want to learn then they have to figure the basics out for themselves, its like having a lightbulb blow, you put a new one in and it doesnt work, now is it the bulb or is it the fact you have not turned the light on?

Go figure.

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 07:55 PM
350bhptype~R
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=TonyBurns;9782526]You dont need any knowledge on anything, its a simple deduction, put on hks and its not running right, ran right before putting on, errrrrm is that so hard to work out?
If people want to learn then they have to figure the basics out for themselves, its like having a lightbulb blow, you put a new one in and it doesnt work, now is it the bulb or is it the fact you have not turned the light on?

Go figure.

Tony

all ur posts are the same ur just a big head with a bad attitude to others
Old 25 December 2010, 08:09 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

You dont need any knowledge on anything, its a simple deduction, put on hks and its not running right, ran right before putting on, errrrrm is that so hard to work out?

Go figure.

Tony
Careful Tony. You know what happened last time, we where waiting for that monster geeza to knock our doors down.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

[QUOTE=350bhptype~R;9782534]

Go figure.

Tony

all ur posts are the same ur just a big head with a bad attitude to others
Yeah ok

So a guy goes to a garage and say's, "my car runs like a bag of spanners", ok says the mechanic, have you done anything to the car?
Guy say's "yes ive replaced the air filter", mechanic say's did it run ok before?
Guy say's yes, mechanic says ok i'll look for you, sees new filter in with plastic cover on, takes plastic cover off, charges man 1 hours labour.

Morale of the story?
If you dont have a clue then dont touch!

If someone cannot work out for themselves that it was running great before you did something then runs sh1te afterwards, that they caused the problem by replacing said part, then they shouldnt even be looking under the bonnet.

You call it a bad attitude, i call it common sense, if you cannot figure out the smallest of faults after YOU have done something, well because you have done something and dont go back to the original setup where it ran well, then ask what the problem is sorry, no sympathy, it doesnt go for just mechanics, it goes for pretty much everything you do, from DIY to sex.

Now have a nice day

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 08:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by b13bat
Careful Tony. You know what happened last time, we where waiting for that monster geeza to knock our doors down.
Im still waiting

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 09:46 PM
350bhptype~R
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=TonyBurns;9782548]

Yeah ok

So a guy goes to a garage and say's, "my car runs like a bag of spanners", ok says the mechanic, have you done anything to the car?
Guy say's "yes ive replaced the air filter", mechanic say's did it run ok before?
Guy say's yes, mechanic says ok i'll look for you, sees new filter in with plastic cover on, takes plastic cover off, charges man 1 hours labour.

Morale of the story?
If you dont have a clue then dont touch!

If someone cannot work out for themselves that it was running great before you did something then runs sh1te afterwards, that they caused the problem by replacing said part, then they shouldnt even be looking under the bonnet.

You call it a bad attitude, i call it common sense, if you cannot figure out the smallest of faults after YOU have done something, well because you have done something and dont go back to the original setup where it ran well, then ask what the problem is sorry, no sympathy, it doesnt go for just mechanics, it goes for pretty much everything you do, from DIY to sex.

Now have a nice day

Tony
i understand exactly what ur sayin but if you cant say anything good dont say anything at all. MERRY XMAS
Old 25 December 2010, 09:52 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

i understand exactly what ur sayin but if you cant say anything good dont say anything at all. MERRY XMAS

Kettle, pot and black!
Old 25 December 2010, 09:58 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

Ok well thanks or the constructive replies, I'm not an idiot I can do the maths. I was more looking for advice to weather the air filter could if had any knock on affects to any other parts on the car, i may have just explained it wrong but this problem with the boost cutting out then back in started last night and the hks filter has been on for about a month.. If it was as simple as you assumed I wouldn't be posting here..
Old 25 December 2010, 10:32 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2000Dan
Hi guys, as the title says my my00 has started making a funny blowback sounding noise when you take your foot off the throttle since I fitted a hks mushroom filter,
Ok well thanks or the constructive replies, I'm not an idiot I can do the maths. I was more looking for advice to weather the air filter could if had any knock on affects to any other parts on the car, i may have just explained it wrong but this problem with the boost cutting out then back in started last night and the hks filter has been on for about a month.. If it was as simple as you assumed I wouldn't be posting here..
Here is a constuctive comment:
Take the bag of shoit hks off as it is probably costing you valuable bhp.Refit the, very very capable OE airbox and tract. Your MAF iirc is very delicate and may not cope with the vibrations from the bag of shoit hks and may have a 'knock on' effect which will cost you £££££'s.
Old 25 December 2010, 10:40 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

My car didn't have the standard air ducting fitting when I bought it, it just had the airbox with the draw into the wing, so I thought I may aswel swop it for a foam filter, I apologise that I don't have the vast Subaru knowledge that you have at 19, I was under the impression that this might be the place to learn what I need to know and help me along the way.. but don't worry, I know now it's just a place to get flamed unless you have the most complicated of problems, yours Dan.
Old 25 December 2010, 10:48 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

Oh and p.s my standard airbox came with a k&n panel filter which I heard disagreed with the MAF because of the oil in it so that's why I changed it.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You dont need any sort of subaru knowledge to figure out that if you change something and it goes to **** you change back to see if what you have added has caused the problem, and now your giving us the rest of the details it sort of helps, yet still you have not reverted back to the original setup? and if you read up about the panel filters, did you not also see the bit about induction kits and MY99/00 mafs?

If you dont attempt to fix the problem that you caused then you will get flamed, simple as.

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 11:09 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

My car didn't have the standard air ducting fitting when I bought it, it just had the airbox with the draw into the wing, so I thought I may aswel swop it for a foam filter,
That was your first mistake.
You should of asked the advise of your more experienced peers. I'm 99% sure you would of been advised to purchase the OE ducting and fit a KnN or Green panel filter.

I apologise that I don't have the vast Subaru knowledge that you have at 19,
There is no need for apologies Dan. The Flat 4 engine is a fickle beast at the best of times for an experienced mechanic, let alone a fresh faced 19 yo like your self.

I was under the impression that this might be the place to learn what I need to know and help me along the way..
Indeed it is. The site and the people that make it (this includes Tony Burns with 20k+ posts) what it is have taught me more than you can imagine. It is a very steep learning curve.

but don't worry,
If you decide to stick around, you will notice that people do not worry, as per your first reply. And also by the, (for want of a better word) 'replies' of the relative noob 350bhptype~R.

I know now it's just a place to get flamed unless you have the most complicated of problems, yours Dan.
Not at all. No one has as you put it 'flamed' you.

Your OP is obviously not concise and to the point as you say, it's 'an essay and hard to explain'. This causes confusion and irrelevant comments as you can see.
No one called you an 'idiot'. All Tony was/is saying is, if you change some thing on your car and it is derogatory/detrimental to the running of your car then simply remove it and refit OE. Just common sense.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by b13bat
Not at all. No one has as you put it 'flamed' you.

I did just then

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 11:16 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I did just then

Tony
Only a little though
Old 25 December 2010, 11:20 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

I agree with everything you just said, Im terrible at explaining things and I babble, but for the record Tony obviously jumped to the conclusion it was obvious and i was an idiot, and made it very clear he thought so, if I had changed the filter and it had caused this problem straight away it would have been more than obvious, but the fact that it ran fine for a few weeks then all if a sudden started doing it made it less than obvious to me, thanks for the more composed advice, I'm going to refit the factory airbox tomorow and make myself an air feed for it, merry christmas, Dan.
Edit* I only read your last comment didn't see the rest lol, no I wasn't aware of the 99-00 maf's being such a problem, and my first aproach would of been to put the factory air box back on but as this only happened this morning and it being Christmas day I havnt had chance to adress it, but I just thought I'd see what comments I got on it first, thanks again, Dan.

Last edited by Turbo2000Dan; 25 December 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi guys, as the title says my my00 has started making a funny blowback sounding noise when you take your foot off the throttle since I fitted a hks mushroom filter
no mention of when you fitted it, slapped wrist there Dan

my first thoughts were the dump valve was nackered and was staying open when i first put my foot down then closing, but it dumps normally.. Sorry this is such an essay but it's hard to explain, any advice would be very appreciated, and merry christmas! Dan.
Your also running an aftermarket vta dump valve?

Time to be told off again

Top of Gen tech is a sticky, I would read it

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 11:52 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

no mention of when you fitted it, slapped wrist there Dan

Your also running an aftermarket vta dump valve?

Time to be told off again

Top of Gen tech is a sticky, I would read it

Tony
I will Tony, and granted no i didn't say exactly when I fitted the filter, and sorry I don't understand the terminology 100%, vta? I have a forge dump valve that was fitted when I bought the car.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I'm going to refit the factory airbox tomorow and make myself an air feed for it,
Good move. Do you know which parts you are missing?
You can fabricate your own of course, but atm i would advise sourcing and re-fitting OE ducting so as not to trouble the intake system any further or cloud any results.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:55 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will Tony, and granted no i didn't say exactly when I fitted the filter, and sorry I don't understand the terminology 100%, vta? I have a forge dump valve that was fitted when I bought the car.
VTA = vent to air i.e. a non-recirculating DV.

Most aftermarket DVs are VTA.

Last edited by joz8968; 25 December 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 25 December 2010, 11:59 PM
Turbo2000Dan
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a vent to air dump valve thanks, and I'm missing everything from the U pipe in the wing outwards, I have had a bit of a look in the past but couldn't see any for sale on here, adding my own ducting from there to the front of the car shouldn't hurt at all should it? As before I was sucking from the bay this will just move the feed to say the grill or similar? Thanks guys, Dan.
Old 26 December 2010, 12:03 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the VTA DV on there (and car running fine) before the rough running started?

Or did you also put the DV on at the same time as you did the mushroom filter?
Old 26 December 2010, 12:07 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a vent to air dump valve thanks, and I'm missing everything from the U pipe in the wing outwards, I have had a bit of a look in the past but couldn't see any for sale on here, adding my own ducting from there to the front of the car shouldn't hurt at all should it? As before I was sucking from the bay this will just move the feed to say the grill or similar? Thanks guys, Dan.
So you have every thing from the air-box to the turbo then?
In that case ducting to the air-box should not be a problem for you.

Joz runs a MY99 so may be able to point you in the right direction here.

And apparently, he is here all week
Old 26 December 2010, 12:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Its one of those that go "pfffffffftttttttt!!!"

Your better off with the recirc, having a vent to atmosphere dv can cause issues, subaru's can be a little "delicate" sometimes and certain models/years can be more "delicate" than others when tuning.

Your best starting place is an exhaust, it lets the car breath more, the standard airbox isnt bad but wont give you the gains an exhaust will.
Maf's are fragile on your year of car (99/00), ive killed one on my version 5 STI type R if your unfortunate then having the IK on has already done the damage good point is that these green stripe mafs are just over 110 quid and its worth replacing if its an original.
Ensure you inform your insurance co on any changes (that includes the dump valve) as any none standard items will invalidate your insurance.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 26 December 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange noises and momentary loss of boost on acceleration