Notices

Road noise/slight vibration following small "off" in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2010, 01:02 PM
peterwbaker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road noise/slight vibration following small "off" in the snow...

During the snow when "practising my car contol" I slid off the crown of the road sideways into the curb - the front drivers side wheel took the impact - things were not right afterwards:-(. At ~60-70mph there is a slight vibration/more road noise from the front right side of the car - it sounds like the noise you get as you start to run over the "rumble strip" on the right hand side of the motorway. So I started some investigation:-
  • Tracking done ==> steering straightened up but problem still not fixed.
  • 4 wheel laser alignment including tracking, camber and cast completed ==> some reduction in vibration.
  • Front drivers side wheel balanced at which point it was noticed the wheel was buckled by 3-4mm. Ordered replacement wheel, moved tire onto new wheel, balanced and re-fitted ==> much better but still some vibration.
The problem is much reduced since doing the above however it is still there and it gets louder when you turn the car left at speed and hence I assume loads up the right hand side of the car. My suspicion is I might have damaged the wheel bearing or drive shaft, any ideas?

Regards, Peter
Old 14 December 2010, 01:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bent the drive shaft/track rod/suspension strut?

And what about the passenger side wheel, is IT in balance still? It could have shed a weight in the crunch.
Old 14 December 2010, 01:39 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Wheel bearing OK?
Get the wheels (or at least the previously buckled one) off the ground and rotate them by hand whilst applying a little pull on one side of the wheel and push on the other to see if they rotate smoothly.
Old 14 December 2010, 02:12 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you have either damaged a hub or wheel bearing I guess they checked that the wheel was still straight and true when they balanced it?
Old 14 December 2010, 02:19 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

could be bent drive shaft, it wont need to be bent much to make a difference.
Old 15 December 2010, 04:21 PM
peterwbaker
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far - have put the car in the dealer and they are working on it - suggestions above look likely:-( boo hoo, will let you know what happens...
Old 21 December 2010, 10:21 AM
peterwbaker
Scooby Newbie

Hi All, just a quick update on this one in case anyone does the same! Dealer said the following which turned out to be very accurate.

The o/s/f suspension has been knocked backwards and inwards – causing the camber and castor angles to be incorrect. We suspect the noise when loading the o/s/f wheel is the wheel bearing but we are unable to replicate this noise on the ramp. The bearing will need to be changed when the stub axle is replaced so at worst it will eliminate this.

There are two other parts that might have needed switching out however from past dealer experience these are usually not required. If suspension geometry still not correct – a strut may be required. If noise still present – an outer drive shaft joint may be required….

All in all quite expensive bit of fun - but still love the car!
Peter