Notices

ecu error code 23

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2010, 03:28 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu error code 23

Just plugged the black plugs together under the dash to see if any code were thrown up, and ive got error code 23, mass air flow sensor, the car had a new maf fitted nearly a year ago when api rebuilt my engine, ive only done around 5k miles, and before the rebuild i fitted a new maf when i bought the car which was on for around 6months before it did the bottom end, david suspected that it was due to a faulty maf, are these maf sensors so weak they need replacing every 6months- 1year. ive noticed recently, occasionally when pulling up to a junction ect, the revs drop really low for a second, as if it going to stall, then go back to aound 800-900rpm, i though this was due to the idle control valve, or is this now related to the maf on its way out.

What should i do next, clear the codes and drive the car to se if it throws the code again? or just buy a new maf, is it as simple as just fitting a new one as my car is remapped?

also is it likely to cause damage to my forged engine as i like to give it some stick, or should i not drive it till its sorted.

Car is v6 sti type r

Thanks Tristan
Old 11 December 2010, 03:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yes, do full reset and see it comes back. Although, with the revs issue it does not look good.

Do you by any chance have a IK fitted?? Well known for killing MAFS.
Old 11 December 2010, 04:36 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Il try resetting it then mate, will driving it cause damage?

the reason i thought it was the icv was affecting the revs dropping low, was because it was reving high at first, and david told me that the icv was the problem, not really a massive problem so i left it as the icv are quite expensive from what im told.

no i dont have a ik fitted, its on orginal air box with a panel filter fitted, i know ik kill the mafs and im not running a front mount or enough power for a ik

Tristan
Old 11 December 2010, 06:01 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

On your year of car they are weak, but i'd of thought they would have lasted longer than a year..Is the air box properly bolted down, make sure its not vibrating...
Old 11 December 2010, 06:17 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

yeh it properly fixed mate, but il check, i dont drive the car daily probablyy done 4-5k miles since rebuild, i would have thought they last longer than that even if they are weak, i dont oil the filter, is it possible its dirty and can they be cleaned, will it start to kill my engine as soon as it starts playing up or is that only when its properly goosed
Old 11 December 2010, 06:49 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f4la k
...Is the air box properly bolted down, make sure its not vibrating...
You're obsessed.

Originally Posted by trio
yeh it properly fixed mate, but il check, i dont drive the car daily probablyy done 4-5k miles since rebuild, i would have thought they last longer than that even if they are weak, i dont oil the filter, is it possible its dirty and can they be cleaned, will it start to kill my engine as soon as it starts playing up or is that only when its properly goosed
What filter have got fitted??
Old 12 December 2010, 04:50 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

ive got a simota blue cotton gauze panel filter fitted, no oil

if i buy a new maf is it just a matter of fitting it or is there more to it, api told me when they remapped my car on different occasions, that the maf needed re-scalling
Old 13 December 2010, 07:51 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

The maf only needs rescaling when having car mapped, it s ok to stick a new filter in and reset the ecu and see how it goes, dont drive it hard mate, if the mafs fcuked it will throw the cel without you givin it the beans.

Just buy a simtek and that eliminates the maf, by the time you buy 2 new mafs from main stealer your simtek is paid for.

Last edited by f4la k; 13 December 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 13 December 2010, 05:09 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

I have reset the ecu, and im going to try driving it again and see if the code comes back, if it does, il jut buy a new maf and try get a refund of subaru as its only 10months old, surely there will be 12months warranty on this part.

i thought simtek was around 1grand fitted?, and tbh im sick of throwing stupid amounts of money at this car now, just want to be able to drive the thing without something being wrong with it.