Notices

Automatic Intercooler Spray Observations

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2010, 02:02 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Intercooler Spray Observations

Just wanted to get a little more info on this IC Spray.

I currently have the interior removed from the rear of my car ready for the repairs. This allows me to hear the IC tank pump working as the tank is mounted to the back of the rear seat on my car.

So today I have been listening to the IC spray behaviour.

Now this is what I have noticed.

From starting the car and driving around at low speeds the IC spray will automatically spray it certain RPM, accelerator pedal position etc.

However, if you go above say 60mph the IC spray no longer does anything. At any RMP or accelerator pedal position.

Which I would imagine is becuase the tempersature has dropped due to the increased speed therefore not requiring the spray. Thats fine, I understand that.

But this is the thing I don't understand; when driving at lower speeds (10 to 40mph) after driving over 60mph, the IC spray will not spray automatically as it did before going over 60mph.

Do you think it might be due to the colder weather and lower intake temps?

Or is there something wrong?
Old 16 November 2010, 02:46 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure but my car has the ic spray and i believe it is controlled by the ecu and has lots of things that determine wether it works or not i.e boost,revs,throttle position, intake temp etc.
but as its cold outside i would imagine the intercooler is getting very cold over 60mph and the spray is not needed.
if it helps mine does exactly the same as yours
Old 16 November 2010, 08:16 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
im not sure but my car has the ic spray and i believe it is controlled by the ecu and has lots of things that determine wether it works or not i.e boost,revs,throttle position, intake temp etc.
but as its cold outside i would imagine the intercooler is getting very cold over 60mph and the spray is not needed.
if it helps mine does exactly the same as yours
Interesting, maybe its due to the colder air temps.

Anyone else got anything to add?
Old 16 November 2010, 08:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put it this way, one summer I pretty much finished off the intercooler water spray tank (it was full, 12ltrs) on a motorway trip from manchester to hampshire and back, some enthusiastic driving but not as much as you would expect

It all goes on temps, revs etc, the ecu controls the lot, hence in cold weather (I recommend you also put some windscreen wash in your i/c spray bottle) it doesnt spray much as its not needed.

Tony
Old 16 November 2010, 09:18 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

It also sprays at the wrong time,(TMIC anyway) If you ever watch intake temps then you will notice that it will stay at certain temp while under hard driving and as soon as you lift off the throttle it will jump up as the residual heat in the IC is transferred into the intake air.
All spray systems will stop spraying once you lift off the throttle.

To answer the OP, the waterspray will only spray when you reach a preset AIT, throttle position and boost level. If you don't meet all three then it wont activate.
Old 16 November 2010, 09:39 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

There are also defined controls based on Coolant Temp, Engine Speed and Vehicle Speed