Notices

Just brought a Subaru impreza wagon import want to know a few facts please!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2010, 03:56 AM
Wildjames123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just brought a Subaru impreza wagon import want to know a few facts please!

Right iv just set this account up as my mates just brought a import subaru he doesn't really know allot about it and wants to learn more lol..

Whats the specs/power on one of theses its a n reg... are all imports sti's?
What boost do they run standard? and what boost are they safe to run without any modifications. it has a full exhaust system and Filter other than that he was informed its standard .. it also has a trick knock meter gauge lol
Iv herd various things from people we just want to know whats what with no billy bull lol some one said all imports are sti's and they are forged standard redtop engine or something lol??? Cheers
Old 14 November 2010, 04:24 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Ok, to start with all JDM impreza's need super unleaded, the ones produced between 1993 to 1998 can run on 97 ron fuel, DO NOT run them on unleaded, it can lead to engine damage and a hefty £££ bill (normally in excess of 2k) for a rebuild.

Specs can be found below for classic impreza's, the vin plate on the passenger (near side) suspension turret will give you all the information on the car, this will say what the exact model is, the information below will tell you the PS output of the car (not bhp), so for instance the car is an MY00 (MY standing for model year, 00 is a 2000 year car) then the output on an STI of that year is 280ps or 276bhp.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ProductionRuns

Boost and other questions can be found here

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p.../KnowledgeFAQs

Now when you find out what model it is, give us the information, but the more you mess with these, the greater the chance of things going wrong, hence its best to have a remap/after market ecu fitted.

Classic STI's have forged pistons, wrx's have cast, both have the same rods, normally its the rod that breaks and there are limits to what these cars can run power wise.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 14 November 2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 14 November 2010, 09:20 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

First thing he needs to do is make sure it is an sti, amazing the amount of imprezas sold on ebay etc advertised as sti's that aren't. That way if it isn't at least he won't pay extra insurance.
Old 19 November 2010, 12:12 AM
Wildjames123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GF8C58D 220 WRX 5 door
GF8C58D 260 WRX STi2 5 door
Thats the code it has on the vin plate still not sure how to tell if its a sti don't they have red inlets?
arnt all imports meant to run 1.1 bar.. i put a boost gauge on it and it ran 10psi then dropped down to 7 psi at 5000k it also goes over 112mph so i assume someone's changed the ecu to de-restrict it ill check what code the ecu is tomorrow.. is there away to remove the fuel cut?