Notices

Classic '99 Turbo Impreza - fuel problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2010, 04:16 PM
TheEvilGiraffe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Classic '99 Turbo Impreza - fuel problem ?

Hi guys

Car cut out on me about 1/2 mile from home last weekend. Cranking but not firing. Tried turning off / on again incase immobiliser was at fault, still same again.

As I was on route to fill up with fuel anyway, even though the gauge was only on the last bar (1/4ish) I put a 1GAL fuel can in the tank .. same thing. I then realised I couldn't hear the fuel pump arming.

RAC turned up .. couldnt start it. Dark and approaching midnight after 2 hours I got a tow to the garage, put £20 of fuel in just incase, as we were on a hill but while we were there, the guy couldnt draw any fuel through, even with a manual pump, the car coughed so it is sparking. Eventually he could get a dribble of fuel through but not as much as I thought there should be

Got a tow home and left it there. Still not doing anything next morning.

Looking at it this w/e, same issues still there.

Scoobynet threads have suggested a few things but i'm still as it's not doing anything. Have found 2 'can' style relays. Both relays working as swapped over, but only one location clicks on and then off about 2 seconds later as suggested on here. maybe wiring to the other one is dead ? I dont even know what these are for, as others have suggested the connectors are green and brown. Mine are blue and pink.

Help, please. Anyone ?

I'm based near Dartford, Kent if anyone local fancies saving the day.
Old 13 November 2010, 05:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheEvilGiraffe
Hi guys

Car cut out on me about 1/2 mile from home last weekend. Cranking but not firing. Tried turning off / on again incase immobiliser was at fault, still same again.

As I was on route to fill up with fuel anyway, even though the gauge was only on the last bar (1/4ish) I put a 1GAL fuel can in the tank .. same thing. I then realised I couldn't hear the fuel pump arming.

RAC turned up .. couldnt start it. Dark and approaching midnight after 2 hours I got a tow to the garage, put £20 of fuel in just incase, as we were on a hill but while we were there, the guy couldnt draw any fuel through, even with a manual pump, the car coughed so it is sparking. Eventually he could get a dribble of fuel through but not as much as I thought there should be

Got a tow home and left it there. Still not doing anything next morning.

Looking at it this w/e, same issues still there.

Scoobynet threads have suggested a few things but i'm still as it's not doing anything. Have found 2 'can' style relays. Both relays working as swapped over, but only one location clicks on and then off about 2 seconds later as suggested on here. maybe wiring to the other one is dead ? I dont even know what these are for, as others have suggested the connectors are green and brown. Mine are blue and pink.

Help, please. Anyone ?

I'm based near Dartford, Kent if anyone local fancies saving the day.
If you can't hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on, then it would suggest that it isn't.

Lift the rear seat and check the connectors, you could use a multimeter there and check for a current. If there is none then the relay would be the next port of call.

I'm not sure on this one, but if you connect the 2 green test connectors i think the fuel relay should click.
Old 13 November 2010, 05:20 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had the same problem turned out to be the immobliser cutting out the fuel pump worth looking at
Old 13 November 2010, 07:55 PM
TheEvilGiraffe
Scooby Regular

Green test connectors ?

There is no power getting to that 5-wire block

What was the problem with your immobilser Gaz ?
Old 13 November 2010, 08:01 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

think your looking at the wrong connectors. they are single wire 2 green and 2 black and may well be taped up pretty high under the dash
Old 13 November 2010, 08:17 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
If you can't hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to on, then it would suggest that it isn't.

Lift the rear seat and check the connectors, you could use a multimeter there and check for a current. If there is none then the relay would be the next port of call.

I'm not sure on this one, but if you connect the 2 green test connectors i think the fuel relay should click.
Originally Posted by TheEvilGiraffe
Green test connectors ?

There is no power getting to that 5-wire block

What was the problem with your immobilser Gaz ?
Originally Posted by Turbotits
think your looking at the wrong connectors. they are single wire 2 green and 2 black and may well be taped up pretty high under the dash
Here they are.
Old 14 November 2010, 09:20 AM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Happened a couple of years ago the immobliser decieded to cut power to the pump garage decieded to just bypass the immobliser but alarm still works hope you get it sorted asap
Old 14 November 2010, 11:13 AM
TheEvilGiraffe
Scooby Regular

OK thanks guys .. will give that a go shortly !
Old 06 August 2011, 01:47 PM
championcat
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, can anyone point out if this is the fuel outlet from the petrol tank? It's looking severely eroded and I was wondering how and what to replace it with...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5842122...in/photostream
Old 06 August 2011, 01:53 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Looks like the filler from that pic. Hard to tell. But the outlet is on top of the tank so its not that
Old 06 August 2011, 05:39 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

I would check the voltage to the fuel pump, if it's missing the problem could be with the alarm system if you have swapped the fuel pump relay.

If the voltage is missing, you can prove the pump by taking a 12volt feed to the pump
Old 06 August 2011, 06:31 PM
championcat
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Looks like the filler from that pic. Hard to tell. But the outlet is on top of the tank so its not that
thanks. after getting off the useless filler cover, and from a caveman's guess, this small pipe looks more like an overflow filler pipe! phew! the main petrol filler pipe is alright abeit some rust which needed a small seeing too. other than that, ripping out the plastic pipe cover is a big bonus and may prevent future corrosion. worry number 390 over for now!

Last edited by championcat; 07 August 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06 August 2011, 07:38 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

gonna have to rip out the fuel pump, get some fuel in a can and a length of fuel hose.

Strip the housing down to the bare pump, theres a + and - on it. Connect some fuel hose on the bottom and insert it into fuel can. Connect pump up to battery and confirm its pumping fuel.

If it is, connect the pump directly into the injectors after the fuel filter and try and start the car that way.

Its a 2 man job. If it still doesnt start, you can eliminate fuel pump and fuel lines.

Last edited by Scooby Parts; 06 August 2011 at 07:39 PM.