Notices

Help ABS light acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2010, 03:53 PM
scoobygems
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ABS light acting weird

My ABS light has been coming off and on on my classic wagon and before I go to the garage wonder if you guys can give me some pointers.

Heres the story. It started tuesday of last week, Started car and ABS light stayed on whilst it was warming up, drove a few streets going around 20 mph and light stayed on so stopped car switched engine off and restarted and ABS light went out. Stayed off for my journey to work but when I restarted my car to come home it came back on and stayed on for a few journeys. Light then went off again on friday so thought nothing of it after that as maybe the wet weather had thrown some dirt on a sensor but happend again on saturday evening staying on for a few trips then went off last night but come back on this morning on my journey to work.

I've checked my brake lights which are all working, had new brakes discs and pads on the front around 5 weeks ago and my calipers on the front have been serviced so know they are working as they should.

I thought if it was a sensor that has gone it would stay on all the time and not go off so i'm a little confused at what else it could be.

I have read that you can read the ecu for the ABS but tried looking for it on my MY99 uk turbo wagon but not really sure what i'm looking for. Anybody give me an idea where I should be looking for it as if its not showing any faults I know its just a dirty sensor which I can try and do myself.

Not tested the ABS system to see if it is or isn't working just going by the light on the dash.

Long winded post i'm sorry but really confused at how the ABS light has been behaving, wish it would make its mind up if its broke or not.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 09 November 2010, 04:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need the car on the diagnostic machine to see which sensor is playing up really it could have been damaged when the discs were replaced or could be a loose wire, until its checked you wont know

Tony
Old 09 November 2010, 04:22 PM
scoobygems
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. Car is booked in at my local garage on friday as having my spark plugs and oil changed and asked them to check it as they do diagnostics.
Just wanted to see if I could save myself some money and do some checks so I go armed with some info to the garage so they don't charge me a fortune trying to find out whats wrong with it .
Old 09 November 2010, 04:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Not having ABS on mine, i'm not too sure. But does the ABS light also act as a low fluid warning too? Might be worth a check.
Also, as i understand it. If the ABS light is on due to a fault, then the ABS is inoperative.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:49 PM
scoobygems
Scooby Regular

Checked my brake fluid and that looks to be full.
Don't seem to feel any difference in braking when light is on to when it was off and had to brake fairly sharpish on a few occasions in the past few days .
May have to test it by way of emergency stop to see if it has stopped working all together.