Notices

Clutch or gearbox fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2010, 07:16 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch or gearbox fault?

I have had problems selecting gears when the engine/gearbox is cold especially second gear until it's warm it gets better. I have been told it's a common problem but surely of a car at 27000 miles should not be aparent. I was also told changing the gearbox oil would help. So I contacted opie oils and purchased 5 litres of Fuchs Titan race syn 5. 75-90. And did my rear diff for good measure too. Have I been sold the correct gear oil for a 2003 jdm sti. V-limited with the DCCD gearbox as since changing the gearbox oil it is now harder than before to select the gears than with the old gear oil, especially when cold. My clutch characteristics are that I have had the car for 1.5 years and get a clutch burning smell when giving it some beans and my car is running 350/360. My clutch bites low down as normal so is it the syncro and how is it sorted or is it my clutch needs replacing or is it a gearbox fault. Oh and the other day my speedo stopped working and cel came on but cleaned the connectors and now fine. Any help will be appreciated cheers in advance
Old 07 November 2010, 08:11 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 07 November 2010, 08:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worn synchro, almost certainly. The fact that it's actually worse with the new oil points in that direction. Syn5 is excellent stuff, but, ironically, one of the issues with a top quality synthetic box oil is that it can actually reduce the ability of the synchro units to create friction against one another when compared with some other types. You need friction to synchronise the gear to the shaft, and because you can't get enough of it, the gear is difficult to select.

Gearbox needs to be removed and largely stripped to replace the synchroniser. Best bet would be to have a word with someone like DavidAPI for a quote.

Also worth double-checking what rear diff is fitted to your car, btw, as Syn5 may or may not be the best choice for it.

Last edited by Splitpin; 07 November 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07 November 2010, 08:25 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

+1 above mate give API a call,there very good on price and service is top quality.
Old 07 November 2010, 08:37 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

I will make a few calls tomorrow any ideas on sort of price i should expect for a synchro rebuild? dont know whay type of rear diff my car has only that it has a dccd c-diff. and ope oils recommended the syn5. is there an additive i can add to the transmission oil to create more friction? and would you recommend an uprated clutch also. cheers
Old 24 January 2011, 12:31 PM
si_b1979
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fordrsrickc,

Did you get any feedback on this question or take it to someone to get sorted? I have a MY05 WRX with an identical problem selecting first gear and could do with some advice. The problem only appeared after a complete transmission and diff oil change.

Cheers,
si_b1979