Newbie needs help with noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2010, 10:00 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help with noise!

Hi all,

First post here. Been around subarus for years, previously selling them at a dealership in Devon etc, and though it was time to buy my own one. Sorry for the long post but here goes. I could really do with your knowledge!

Just been to see a 1996 GF8D WRX Wagon, with 55k miles - backed up by jap service history and uk info. Car been in UK since May 07 and is near immaculate, beautiful even. All undersealed etc etc.

Anyway, on to the main point. When the car was started from dead cold (not started for 2 days apparently - checked engine was cold before starting)- there was a knocking noise, which was hard to pinpoint. It sounded to be coming from the middle of the engine or the cylinder closest to the steering wheel if you can imagine that. I found it a bit worrying after hearing about big ends etc but having never heard a bad one didn't know if that was what it was.

I mention it to the seller, who tells me he believes it's a detonation problem and it's done it ever since he bought it as a fresh import. He has always used super u/l petrol he says. Left the car idling for a couple minutes, no smoke or anything, no smoke when revving to 3000rpm. All good apart from the knock.

We drive up the road approx 1.5 miles and stop off to get fuel. When the car stops and idling, noise seems to have gone down a touch. We pull away, and it is audible at low revs as we gently go through 1st to 3rd.

Car is now warmed, so foot down a bit and over the long straights across the moor. Can't hear the knocking now at all. Back into the town and he stops and offers me a drive. I pull away and knocking is there through lower revs but can't hear it as revs increase. Stop at lights, can barely hear it. Get back to his, sound is back. Overall, the trip was less than ten minutes as I was going to see it saturday in the light and go for a longer drive.

Now, the car pulls fine, gears fine, brakes fine (not pulling to left or right), accelerating without holding the wheel is straight and true. This seems like a spot on car but for the knocking.

Anyone have any ideas? I've got the horrible thought of big end in my head, but also considering the other usual suspects.

I said to him I couldn't risk it with the knocking, he says it's been like it since he got it etc etc. So I say, OK, meet me at *LocalSubaruTuner* at the weekend. If he says it's OK I'll have it. He agrees.

So, before I spend the cash with the Subaru tuner, anyone got any other insights?

Thanks in advance
Old 02 November 2010, 10:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by K1985
Hi all,

First post here. Been around subarus for years, previously selling them at a dealership in Devon etc, and though it was time to buy my own one. Sorry for the long post but here goes. I could really do with your knowledge!

Just been to see a 1996 GF8D WRX Wagon, with 55k miles - backed up by jap service history and uk info. Car been in UK since May 07 and is near immaculate, beautiful even. All undersealed etc etc.

Anyway, on to the main point. When the car was started from dead cold (not started for 2 days apparently - checked engine was cold before starting)- there was a knocking noise, which was hard to pinpoint. It sounded to be coming from the middle of the engine or the cylinder closest to the steering wheel if you can imagine that. I found it a bit worrying after hearing about big ends etc but having never heard a bad one didn't know if that was what it was.

I mention it to the seller, who tells me he believes it's a detonation problem and it's done it ever since he bought it as a fresh import. He has always used super u/l petrol he says. Left the car idling for a couple minutes, no smoke or anything, no smoke when revving to 3000rpm. All good apart from the knock.

We drive up the road approx 1.5 miles and stop off to get fuel. When the car stops and idling, noise seems to have gone down a touch. We pull away, and it is audible at low revs as we gently go through 1st to 3rd.

Car is now warmed, so foot down a bit and over the long straights across the moor. Can't hear the knocking now at all. Back into the town and he stops and offers me a drive. I pull away and knocking is there through lower revs but can't hear it as revs increase. Stop at lights, can barely hear it. Get back to his, sound is back. Overall, the trip was less than ten minutes as I was going to see it saturday in the light and go for a longer drive.

Now, the car pulls fine, gears fine, brakes fine (not pulling to left or right), accelerating without holding the wheel is straight and true. This seems like a spot on car but for the knocking.

Anyone have any ideas? I've got the horrible thought of big end in my head, but also considering the other usual suspects.

I said to him I couldn't risk it with the knocking, he says it's been like it since he got it etc etc. So I say, OK, meet me at *LocalSubaruTuner* at the weekend. If he says it's OK I'll have it. He agrees.

So, before I spend the cash with the Subaru tuner, anyone got any other insights?

Thanks in advance
You will need to ask a qualified mechanic to listen to it. DON'T buy it until you do that.
The way to check for a big end knock is to blip the throttle, tweaking it directly from the throttle body, bonnet open of course!
Hold the revs at around 2000 rpm, then blip sharply approximately between 2000 and 4000 rpm. If you hear a growly knocking every time you blip, it's the big ends.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:17 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough Alan, I was going to give you a call. I met you once at Devon Motor Show when I was working for Vospers Subaru and was impressed with the black impreza with a boot full of fuel pump lol.

I live up by Saltram and was going to give you a call tomorrow to ask how much you'd be wanting to give it a quick listen on friday afternoon or saturday!

Coincidence!
Old 02 November 2010, 11:04 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Been watching videos on youtube for the last hour trying to find the same knock. The videos where bearings are confirmed as the problem sound different to the knock I heard. It's more like the videos with worn cambelt tensioners, so fingers crossed.

Alan will be getting a call in the morning! Lol
Old 02 November 2010, 11:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the crankshaft pulley. They are two-piece and the rubber bit between the pieces perishes allowing it to move, and knock. If you remove the alternator drive belt and the knock isn't there any more, suspect the above.
Old 02 November 2010, 11:22 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Great. Thanks for your input. The more I think about it, the more I reckon it's to do with the pulleys or tensioners, just due to the fact that Alan said there would be a grinding, and from the videos I watched.

I have my fingers crossed big style on this one - although I've only seen it under petrol station and car port lights, it looks excellent condition, no dents, ultra shiny.

I NEED an Impreza in my life again lol

Can anyone confirm the GF8D model is 280ps?
Old 02 November 2010, 11:53 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i had this 2 scoobys back strted and as you do get really worried vey fast lol
turned out to be the tensioners for cambelt bearing knackered but it could just as easily of been something more serious thats what i thought by the sound of it, hope thats all it is
Old 02 November 2010, 11:56 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. Hopefully all things being good I'll be burning my way through petrol by saturday night
Old 03 November 2010, 12:07 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

once you buy one thats you hooked forever