Newbie Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2010, 01:16 AM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Advise

Hi all
i have a 98 2.0 sport and ive now owned the car for approx 8-10months.
Since owning it its broken down on me four times.

What happens is the immobiliser stays on and either cuts the engine or stops the engine from firing when tryin to start the car. The red immobilser light comes on and stays on.

Is this a known fault and has anyone else ever had this problem. Ive noticed that if i leave the car for 12 hours the car will start first time until the fault happens again .

Any help much so appreciated Nick
Old 02 November 2010, 01:46 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about the factory fit cat 2 immobiliser (using the transponder built into the key), or an aftermarket/UK dealer network fit Sigma (etc.) category 1 alarm here?

If the former, there are a variety of things that can go wrong with it. If it's intermittent, a loose connection between the antenna coil which runs around the steering lock to the immobiliser unit itself is one thing to look at - as would be loose connections pretty much anywhere in that part of the car.

In addition, have you tried connecting the black plugs under the dash and reading the error memory? If so, do you get an error 53 stored? If so, it might be worth popping into your nearest main dealer and asking them how much they'll charge to plug it into a Select Monitor. There are actually eight different sub-errors in the immobiliser system that can cause the 53 code - and a Select Monitor should be able to tell which of the eight it is, giving you a pretty easy job identifying and fixing whatever is up.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:37 PM
Fosh100
Scooby Newbie

Default Immobiliser

Hi Splitpin

Yes the car has an original factory fitted immobiliser which does have a chip in the key.

The fault seems odd as i thought if it was a bad connection the fault would happen on a regular basis. Its just odd as i know if i leave the car for a few hours the car starts first time and will last another few months before playing up again.

I have seen post about connecting these plugs under the dash and will see if it is logging this error code that you mention , otherwise ill just get it booked into a suburu shop and let them see if they can advise me on this fault. Its just soo fustrating when it happens. Many thanks. Will keep looking into it