Notices

help with key

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2010, 10:22 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with key

My my05 jdm has a transponder key, unlike the spec c which has no immobiliser. I only have one key so need to get one, I can find blanks like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

can get cut no problem. but where can I get a transponder for it, can I buy any subaru key used and then take the transponder from it and put into a new blank, then get my keys programmed or is there more to it than that. I presume a used uk key would have a transponder buried inside somewhere.

Thanks

Darren
Old 18 October 2010, 10:43 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
My my05 jdm has a transponder key, unlike the spec c which has no immobiliser. I only have one key so need to get one, I can find blanks like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

can get cut no problem. but where can I get a transponder for it, can I buy any subaru key used and then take the transponder from it and put into a new blank, then get my keys programmed or is there more to it than that. I presume a used uk key would have a transponder buried inside somewhere.

Thanks

Darren
do you need a key with the remote function? or just a key with transponder? if its just the key, you can get one cut and coded at bilston market for around £60, i had mine done for the sti there and didn't have a problem, also i believe you can use a transponder from any key.

Last edited by my94wrx; 18 October 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:50 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

just need a key with transponder as mine has seperate alarm fob as jdm had no alarm from factory. have been quoted £25 to get keys programmed just need to get a transponder to fit one of the key blanks like I linked to and get it cut. But will try bilston market, but I thought subaru keys couldn't be cloned and the ecu needed to be programmed to the keys. I tried Subaru dealer but think I confused them as had no info on import keys only uk ones. I defo have factory immobiliser though and have a red flashing immobiliser light in the cluster. If uk key has same transponder I will look out on ebay for a used key. Do classics have the same transponder as newage? as this would open up my options.

Last edited by daz1968; 18 October 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 18 October 2010, 11:11 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
just need a key with transponder as mine has seperate alarm fob as jdm had no alarm from factory. have been quoted £25 to get keys programmed just need to get a transponder to fit one of the key blanks like I linked to and get it cut. But will try bilston market, but I thought subaru keys couldn't be cloned and the ecu needed to be programmed to the keys. I tried Subaru dealer but think I confused them as had no info on import keys only uk ones. I defo have factory immobiliser though and have a red flashing immobiliser light in the cluster. If uk key has same transponder I will look out on ebay for a used key. Do classics have the same transponder as newage? as this would open up my options.
not all key cutters can do it and he didnt think he could and offered a full refund if it didnt work, not sure about the classic to newage transponders, i may have a spare transponder chip somewhere...