Notices

getting abit more!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2010, 08:43 PM
russellgarwood4174
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting abit more!!

hi im picking up my 2001 bugeye estate wrx on the 8th nov, cant wait!! any tips for a bit more power? ive been told all its had done is a stainless exhaust system (make/type not known) and a dump valve!! not after monsterous power gains just that bit extra to show my old mans estate still has some go in her!!

counting the days til i join the impreza gang
Old 17 October 2010, 09:26 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The first tip is not to do anything to it until you've established whether it is healthy, in generally good nick, and is not already sporting any unhelpful or potentially dangerous mods. I seem to recall you were asking elsewhere about the engine on this car - and its rebuild. If that was you I would do as much as I could to determine the cause of the prior failure and satisfy myself as far as possible that it has been fully rectified before going further.

The second tip is to have a good read on here. Plenty of folk have been down the same path with the same base car before so if you want to gen up on the obvious do's and don'ts, a quick click of the search button, or just a browse, will help you learn a lot in a short space of time.

To answer your specific points, an aftermarket (presumably decat) exhaust will add some power, although you may have to deal with boost control instability as a result - so you need a tidy boost gauge to check what it's doing if there isn't already one fitted.

Probably the best thing you can do with the aftermarket dump valve is to chuck it in the bin (or on eBay) and fit a standard one. The engine will likely run better. I'm not joking either.

As for other mods, as above wait til you've got the car and have a handle on it, then tell us what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend to get there, and it'll be much easier to give you relevant pointers.
Old 17 October 2010, 09:54 PM
russellgarwood4174
Scooby Regular

ive checked up where the rebuild was done, central suburu in willenhall!! required engine work as previous owner fail to check oil regulary! i will know what work was carried out when i browse through the receipts!! the seller assures me its running fine, more will be apparent when i collect her, fingers crossed its been a good rebuild if completed at a suburu garage.
Old 18 October 2010, 07:41 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russellgarwood4174
fingers crossed its been a good rebuild if completed at a suburu garage.

i doubt it,I wouldn't let a subaru monkey anywhere near my car.
Old 01 November 2010, 10:31 PM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Good Luck mate, have had my 02 wagon for about 6 weeks now and very pleased with it so far, its had a re-map by Duncan from Racedynamix, aftermarket up pipe, and just about to fit a 3 port boost solenoid and decat downpipe, this i am hoping will bring it up to around 270bhp which should keep me happy for a while!
Frank
Old 01 November 2010, 11:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frankola
Good Luck mate, have had my 02 wagon for about 6 weeks now and very pleased with it so far, its had a re-map by Duncan from Racedynamix, aftermarket up pipe, and just about to fit a 3 port boost solenoid and decat downpipe, this i am hoping will bring it up to around 270bhp which should keep me happy for a while!
Have you booked Duncan for a map tweak? If not, fitting a decat downpipe on a car that has already been properly mapped will likely leave you with spiking boost. Worse, if you simply take the two port solenoid out and replace it with a three port, you will end up with almost uncontrollable overboost - until the boost dynamics tables have been reconfigured.

The three port solenoid will not give you a particularly noticeable power increase anyway. Better low end spool and more granular boost control, yes - once the ECU has been properly set up for it.
Old 02 November 2010, 12:36 AM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Hi splitpin, yes I have booked a tweak with Duncan, as after fitting the decat the car felt
Very woolly and flat, also the 3.PSolenoid will befitted when Duncan does the tweaks
Old 02 November 2010, 05:22 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frankola
Hi splitpin, yes I have booked a tweak with Duncan, as after fitting the decat the car felt very woolly and flat
That's a bit weird, you'd normally expect it to livelier if not too lively. Is it a quality system or something of slightly dodgy provenance?

also the 3.PSolenoid will befitted when Duncan does the tweaks
Excellent, that's the way to do it.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:44 PM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Well it's a midland exhausts 3" stainless job, fits well, have just changed the plugs to pfr7b's have given it a quick run
And it does feel better (not caned it as it will need a tweak first) the plugs that came out looked a bit tired tbh
Old 07 November 2010, 06:54 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Runs very nicely and very easily over 270 now

Good to see you again Frank
Old 07 November 2010, 10:04 AM
Frankola
Scooby Regular

Always a pleasure Duncan, top mapping job on Thursday mate thankyou very much the wagon is great to drive and pulls very strong now! Sounds good too, glad I went for one of your remaps in the end 8-)
Frank