Notices

Wooly steering and clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2010, 01:14 PM
mer360
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wooly steering and clutch advice

I think ive got OCD; the steering feedback on my classic 2000, doesn't feel as direct/positive as I think it should - at times it feels as though its not truely hooked up - it feels as though its got a bit of play coming through from the right hand wheel - I drove a hire car recently and the steering felt very positive compared to mine - any ideas on what could be the issue? I had it checked out and they said all was well - are there easy steps to tighten it up...

Also, my clutch feels like its coming to the end of its life - anyone recommend an uprated Excedy clutch - would like to know how much for parts and fitting?

Thanks
Old 09 October 2010, 04:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a UK 2000 turbo, yes it is wooly, you sort of get the feeling its not turning the wheels or there is play in there? had that on my first new MY00 turbo back in the day, I was never over impressed with the steering feel after that lol, also it doesnt mean there isnt any wear in your steering rack, but that you should note when stationary, the wooly feeling I had was when the car was moving, both with 16 and 17 inch wheels (and good top end tyres and correct pressures).
Clutch, is it juddering or is it just very high? and what mileage is on your car??

Tony
Old 09 October 2010, 04:53 PM
mer360
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tony,

Definetly get the sensation that there's play - all tyre are good and upto pressure - seems like its a quirk of the car as most of time it feels ok, no slackness or bangs etc...

The car has done 77k - i've had the judder when i've done a lazy gear change - no slip though... I was wondering how much the going rate is for fitting the clutch as i'd probably go for an excedy upgrade.

Mat