Notices

Water overflow

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2010, 04:35 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water overflow

Hi guys a few weeks ago I drained the radiator and header tank etc. Anyway so when I run the engine with the lid off the header tank the water overflows is that normal? The water is still clean as could be, only reason I'm askin is the water in the expansion tank never seems to stay full, it's not leaked to my knowledge and it's bot overheating either?

Thanks
Old 01 October 2010, 04:45 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Two questions which will hopefully make your post easier to answer:

First of all, you are saying that "the water" is clean as could be. Just so we know exactly what you mean here, are you saying you have filled it up with water, literally, or are you saying you've filled it with a 50/50 mix of water and quality coolant (or something else)?

Secondly, when you say the header tank overflows if you run with the cap off, are you talking about starting up from stone cold with the cap off, or taking it off when the engine's already warmed/hot?
Old 01 October 2010, 04:53 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

if from cold it will stay level mate it WILL however rise slightely as gets warmer, and if you've lately filled it you will have air in there so leave to run open for bit rev it a little see if bubbles come up. Although it is a self bleeding system so tehcnically you should be ok. Be sure to fill the over flow tank in the corner as well to the F mark.
Old 01 October 2010, 06:28 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

It's from a stone cold start, I didn't even take the lid off completely there was that much water coming out just when It was loose. I havent got round to putting any coolant in yet and I know why your going to say! I have noticed that when it's had a good run and I've switched the engine off, I can hear a bubbling noise in the header tank but I've not had the ***** to take the lid off when it's doing this as I don't want to get scalded! Hope this helps, I'm hoping to god its not the HG!

Last edited by bigfarlz; 01 October 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01 October 2010, 06:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"Haven't got round to putting any coolant in"? You mean no antifreeze?

You should have filled up with a 50/50 mix of clean water and good quality a/f for an alloy engine and containing a corrosion inhibitor.

If you just put water in, you'll be doing the HG sooner rather than later.
Old 01 October 2010, 06:59 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Well I put what little I had in the garage in about a pint or two, what do ya think about the bubbling?
Old 01 October 2010, 11:47 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 02 October 2010, 02:17 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I think you should be starting again... and properly this time.

As for the bubbling, mine does this when i first start it up, then stops.
Old 02 October 2010, 08:15 AM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

bubbling in header tank spells head gasket fella.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigfarlz
It's from a stone cold start, I didn't even take the lid off completely there was that much water coming out just when It was loose. I havent got round to putting any coolant in yet and I know why your going to say!
If you know the answer, why are you even asking the question? Until you put a proper 50/50 coolant mix in, this thread is a waste of both your and our time.

One of the jobs the coolant does, aside from stopping it freezing and preventing corrosion in the engine, is to significantly raise the boiling point - something that the pressurisation of the system also assists with.

As such, it is possible right now that you have a failing head gasket. It's possible you have an airlock. It is also possible that the water in your cooling system is simply starting to boil and bubble just like you see in a kettle. Drain it immediately, replace with a proper mix and then see where you are.

Last edited by Splitpin; 05 October 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06 October 2010, 09:05 AM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If you know the answer, why are you even asking the question? Until you put a proper 50/50 coolant mix in, this thread is a waste of both your and our time.

One of the jobs the coolant does, aside from stopping it freezing and preventing corrosion in the engine, is to significantly raise the boiling point - something that the pressurisation of the system also assists with.

As such, it is possible right now that you have a failing head gasket. It's possible you have an airlock. It is also possible that the water in your cooling system is simply starting to boil and bubble just like you see in a kettle. Drain it immediately, replace with a proper mix and then see where you are.
Jeez! Sorry! Time of the month or somethin?!
Lol only jokin fair does, what's the best coolant then iyho splitpin?
Old 06 October 2010, 09:18 AM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Lol only jokin fair does, what's the best coolant then iyho splitpin?
Fully drain system again pre mix water with antifreeze in a old jug and pour very very slowly in to header tank minimising air bubbles and air locks m8
Old 06 October 2010, 09:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Lol only jokin fair does,
See this?:

I calls that a spade I do.

what's the best coolant then iyho splitpin?
If, as one of your other threads suggests, you have an MY00 car (and therefore MLS head gaskets), personal preference would be Mobil Advanced Antifreeze/Esso Advanced Antifreeze/BASF Alu-Protect G30 (they're all the same stuff). You'll have to double-check this by looking at the packs but I also believe that Halfords Advanced antifreeze (the pink stuff) is G30 too.

If it is the good stuff, think you can buy it from Halfrauds in "ready to use" pre-mixed format, which is a bit more convenient than faffing around with de-ionised water. Although if you live in a soft water/low chlorine area, the concentrate should be boiled tap water compatible.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:07 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

See this?:

I calls that a spade I do.

If, as one of your other threads suggests, you have an MY00 car (and therefore MLS head gaskets), personal preference would be Mobil Advanced Antifreeze/Esso Advanced Antifreeze/BASF Alu-Protect G30 (they're all the same stuff). You'll have to double-check this by looking at the packs but I also believe that Halfords Advanced antifreeze (the pink stuff) is G30 too.

If it is the good stuff, think you can buy it from Halfrauds in "ready to use" pre-mixed format, which is a bit more convenient than faffing around with de-ionised water. Although if you live in a soft water/low chlorine area, the concentrate should be boiled tap water compatible.
Ok cheers bud!
Old 06 October 2010, 10:12 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

lol split pin - only the other day you were asking similar advicem now your dishing it out in a confident and actually rude manner...
Old 06 October 2010, 10:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Curtis450
lol split pin - only the other day you were asking similar advicem now your dishing it out in a confident and actually rude manner...
Eh? Asking advice about what? Spades? Coolant? Is it possible you're confusing me with someone else, as I can't remember the last time I asked anyone for advice on here.

And, as per the pic above, it ain't rude, it's being straightforward and to the point.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:17 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Eh? Asking advice about what? Spades? Is it possible you're confusing me with someone else?
Well I remember posting on a thread where you were asking just a 'novice' question as this is... Just think if your going to post to help someone, be understanding and polite, you will find the guys on here that do actually know ALOT are very nice when they answer.

Anyway whats the score mate with the over flow??? you shoudl be leaving the cap off until the rad fully warms through from left to right, then cap on, then wait for fans to kick in a few times, turn your heaters on full hot in the car and watch the temp guage. The over flow tank in the corner wing should then be filled to the F. The system will bleed any air anyway mate. Take it for a run, coem back pop the bonnet still running and check the over flow tank in the corner, see if its bubbling, if so smell it, if it smells of exhaust fumes its the head gasket mate.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Well I remember posting on a thread where you were asking just a 'novice' question as this is...
I think you'd better go find it, as I strongly suspect you are confusing me with someone else. If you saw someone asking a "novice question" within the time you've been a member on here, the chances of it being me are quite remote.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:25 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I remember posting on a thread where you were asking just a 'novice' question as this is... Just think if your going to post to help someone, be understanding and polite, you will find the guys on here that do actually know ALOT are very nice when they answer.

Anyway whats the score mate with the over flow??? you shoudl be leaving the cap off until the rad fully warms through from left to right, then cap on, then wait for fans to kick in a few times, turn your heaters on full hot in the car and watch the temp guage. The over flow tank in the corner wing should then be filled to the F. The system will bleed any air anyway mate. Take it for a run, coem back pop the bonnet still running and check the over flow tank in the corner, see if its bubbling, if so smell it, if it smells of exhaust fumes its the head gasket mate.
In all honesty mate you are defo barking up the wrong tree,splitpin and i have had our differences but i will say the man knows an awful lot and is one of the most knowlegable on here and would not need advice
Old 06 October 2010, 10:33 PM
Curtis450
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
In all honesty mate you are defo barking up the wrong tree,splitpin and i have had our differences but i will say the man knows an awful lot and is one of the most knowlegable on here and would not need advice
I guess this is just my time to have our differences then hey lol. I have sent a pm explaining but I just feel people who want genuine understanble info shouldn't be bombarded with rude or rather cocky comments when all there after is some info to get there beast back on the road
Old 07 October 2010, 02:59 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i kind of agree with curtis

i dont think the adding of antifreeze is going to make a blind bit of difference, i do the same i fill with water first to make sure of no leaks , if there arent i drain what i need to drain and then add antifreeze.
i thought the pressure raised the boiling point more than antifreeze anyway.

to the op it does sound like an airlock or hg, the water would not boil in expansion tank unless it was seriously overheating btw whether there was antifreeze or not.

if its not hot when its bubbling its hg mate, i would have though an airlock would have escaped by now with all that bubbling.

dont you blow white smoke in the morning, i know its hard to tell sometimes cos of natural condensation.
Old 07 October 2010, 02:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
i dont think the adding of antifreeze is going to make a blind bit of difference
It'll stop his engine, radiator, heater matrix and gaskets eating themselves from the inside, which will start to happen very quickly with plain water in it. IMO the first issue to address is that one.

From there on it'll be necessary to work out what is or is not up with the cooling system. One step at a time.
Old 07 October 2010, 03:37 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

what does the op mean by a few weeks and yes i have seen the damage water alone does, if a few weeks means really a few months maybe his hg has reacted with the aluminium. what i am saying is i cant see how adding antifreeze would affect his symptoms obviously yes he has to add it.