Notices

is this a prodrive ecu ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2010, 05:00 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a prodrive ecu ?

thinking about buying this guy says he has recipt for it but the ecu dosent have the cover stating its a prodrive what boost should this run if i fit it to my my00

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123
Old 28 September 2010, 05:13 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It is absolutely impossible for us to tell from those images whether it is a PPP ECU or not. It is a DS2, UK/Euro specification board, so it could be, but it could also be a standard MY99 AE800 or AE801 unit. The only way to tell for certain would be to power it up and examine the ROM image/mapping.

I would be dubious simply due to the fact that the seller does not have the case for it. If it were a full official PPP ECU, it would originally have a case with the pink and silver label. The fact that it doesn't leads to a number of questions re. the seller's honesty. The fact that someone has written "99 WRX UK" in pen on the interface block also raises questions over whether it is a standard unit. If it was a PPP you'd imagine it would have been marked up as such.

The problem the seller has is that even if he has a receipt for a PPP ECU, there is no proof that the unit he is selling is the one referenced on the receipt. If I were you I would proceed with caution.
Old 28 September 2010, 05:37 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
It is absolutely impossible for us to tell from those images whether it is a PPP ECU or not. It is a DS2, UK/Euro specification board, so it could be, but it could also be a standard MY99 AE800 or AE801 unit. The only way to tell for certain would be to power it up and examine the ROM image/mapping.

I would be dubious simply due to the fact that the seller does not have the case for it. If it were a full official PPP ECU, it would originally have a case with the pink and silver label. The fact that it doesn't leads to a number of questions re. the seller's honesty. The fact that someone has written "99 WRX UK" in pen on the interface block also raises questions over whether it is a standard unit. If it was a PPP you'd imagine it would have been marked up as such.

The problem the seller has is that even if he has a receipt for a PPP ECU, there is no proof that the unit he is selling is the one referenced on the receipt. If I were you I would proceed with caution.
your talking way over my head m8 i am clearly not as clued up on ecu,s as u i fitted it to my car today fired up and ran boost was sitting about 15/16 psi compared to 15/14psi before car dosent feel that faster what i dont get is u dont get u 99uk wrx its looking more and more dodgy to me think i might be asking for my money back is there any pics i could get that would comfirm it how would i be able to power it up and examine the rom/image do i need software for this ?
Old 28 September 2010, 05:39 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

Split pin is back
Old 28 September 2010, 05:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coll_52
your talking way over my head m8 i am clearly not as clued up on ecu,s as u i fitted it to my car today fired up and ran boost was sitting about 15/16 psi compared to 15/14psi before car dosent feel that faster
Hmmm, the difficulty with "feel" is that it is very subjective, and your boost gauge figures are potentially a bit suspect. The standard boost target on all the MY99-2000 UK/Euro ECUs is around 13.5psi, for example, so if you were getting "14/15" before you fitted this new unit, then this suggests either that you were already getting some overboost, or that your gauge isn't particularly accurate.

If you took a standard MY2000 AE802/Y7 ECU out and replaced it with a PPP one, you should see an increase of around 15-20% in held boost and an easily noticeable difference in power.

However, it is (should be) well known that the standard MY99 ECUs (the AE800/801) result in a slightly more responsive, powerful engine than the MY2000 one.

Given what you are reporting (i.e. the relatively small differences in boost and performance), it sounds more likely that you have bought a standard MY99 AE800 or AE801 ECU rather than a PPP one, although as above it is impossible to be sure short of actually checking the firmware - and it may be that the ECU you have bought *is* a PPP, but that there's something under your bonnet causing overboost and masking the difference.

that would comfirm it how would i be able to power it up and examine the rom/image do i need software for this ?
You can do this with the ECU in the car. You'd need a laptop, a vag-com/ISO9141 compatible diagnostic interface (around £20 or less to buy) and some free software like ECU Explorer to do this. If you have all the above I can tell you what to do and what to look for. If you don't have one, the interface here will do what you want.
Old 28 September 2010, 06:38 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

thanks so mutch for you help splitpin i have orderd that cable is it ok to pm you when it arrives to find out how i test it ?
Old 28 September 2010, 06:41 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

the gauges that are fitted are prosport and i took the boost vacum feed of the blank on the manifold saying that i dont know how acurate prosport gauges are but was recomended them
Old 29 September 2010, 12:47 AM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

right got an email by the guy this is waht he says

yes no problem,i should have sent you my rolling road printout done at scooby clinic that shows you how much boost,power and torque and that would have been the best for you to go with your origanal ecu on rollers then put prodrive in and you would see the differance,mostly the torque as the prodrive had an aggressive map!!also you say your boost 14/15 psi i take it you havnt got a bleed valve fitted,also you might have to check your needle valve in between actuater and boost solonoid its just that 14/15 is 1-2psi over standard boost pressure,also on the rollers mine was running 15/16 in third gear and 16/17 in 4th gear whitch you will find under load,and also like i said i had 245bhp and 255lb torque you wouldnt get those figures from any 99-2000 ecu and the reason for only having the board is that i had a ecutec board fitted with a differant map and yes the casing did have a pink/silver label on but like i say its a plug and play like any after market ecu thats what they do ive had about 9 scoobies before from uk to a 360bhp sti and have all my work done at scooby clinic if you need better advice give them a ring and ask for andy who does the mapping.

- shammy0777
Old 29 September 2010, 04:00 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

I have an MY99 UK and had the full PPP Pack when i bought it and no word of a lie when i took my PPP Ecu off and sold it and replaced with standard (a801 i think) the car ran much better

Only 1 good thing about the ppp ecu the torque in top gear at about 70mph was amazing

get your money back and put towards a proper remap

also just wondering splitpin what ecu explorer and vagcom interface on MY99 can do ? can you check fault codes

Last edited by just123; 29 September 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 29 September 2010, 08:38 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

thanks so mutch for you help splitpin i have orderd that cable is it ok to pm you when it arrives to find out how i test it ?
Yep, you can do that, no problem.

right got an email by the guy this is waht he says

yes no problem,i should have sent you my rolling road printout done at scooby clinic that shows you how much boost,power and torque
Again, I'm not sure what the seller thinks he's telling you here. The bottom line with everything he's said is that there's no way he can prove that the ECU he's sold you was the one in the car when his RR printouts (etc) were obtained.

its just that 14/15 is 1-2psi over standard boost pressure
This bit, at least, is correct - and it's as I said a couple of posts back. Boost target on your standard ECU should be 13.5psi (or just over 0.9 bar) in typical British summer weather so like I said either it was already overboosting for some reason on the original ECU, or else your gauge reads high. We'll find out what's going on here when you have the ability to datalog your car - as then you'll be able to cross-reference the gauge against the numbers the ECU is seeing from the MAP sensor.

the reason for only having the board is that i had a ecutec board fitted with a differant map
So, if he bought another ECU, why didn't he buy one with a case so he could sell the PPP unit "whole"?

It'll be easy enough to tell what type of ECU it is once your cable turns up.

Originally Posted by just123
also just wondering splitpin what ecu explorer and vagcom interface on MY99 can do ? can you check fault codes
Yeah you can check current/historic codes (although if I remember right, it might mix a coulple up), most live data parameters, and you can log to file.
Old 30 September 2010, 08:42 AM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

woudnt it just be best spitpin for him to fit the ecu and take it on a rolling rd!!!!?,that way is far the best way to see if the cars healthy as well as seeing the figures and im sure the guys at the same time would be able to tell him prodrive or not,reading the posts col 52 doesnt seem to no what hes on about.
Old 30 September 2010, 10:22 AM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti 343 bhp
woudnt it just be best spitpin for him to fit the ecu and take it on a rolling rd!!!!?,that way is far the best way to see if the cars healthy as well as seeing the figures and im sure the guys at the same time would be able to tell him prodrive or not,reading the posts col 52 doesnt seem to no what hes on about.

to be honest would rather spend 20 quid on a cable and some sofware for the laptop than get charged a lot more for rolling road time
Old 30 September 2010, 10:43 AM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

by the way cable arrived today u have pm split pin
Old 30 September 2010, 02:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, a first post that suggests another user "doesnt seem to no<sic> what he's on about" seems an odd way for a newbie to introduce themselves to Scoobynet.

Seems Coll has more than enough about him to work out that £20 on a data cable plus a few minutes work is better value than paying for rolling road time. While putting it on an RR may, as you say, allow the opportunity for a general check-up, the only thing he's worried about at this point is whether the ECU he's bought is what it was described as.

As long as that is the case, there's no need to bother with rolling roads when examining the content of the maps will give a clear result. The ability to log the car will provide benefits into the future too.
Old 30 September 2010, 03:02 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

hey have downloaded ecu explorer installed the drivers for the vag cable its showing on ecu explorer as on com port 4 so am ready to go but have to go to work bugger if you could send me a pm splitpin telling me what to do will gladly be out at the car with laptop and cable at midnight when i finish lol

thanks again
Old 30 September 2010, 06:54 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

U know what am gonna run the diagnostics on the ppp ecu hopefully it's the real deal but think am just gonna put the standard one back on as been thinking my car has too mutch mods on it for the ppp ecu to make a difference does it not spec is as follows

Decat pipe

Magnex centre section

Hayward and Scott back box

Walbro fuel pump

Pannel filter

Turbo smart dv
Old 30 September 2010, 10:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, if you do have a PPP ECU, it should still provide a worthwhile improvement in performance over the standard AE802, although running with all those extra bits you would be likely to suffer overboost with it. Which of course you may or may not be right now. If you do find out this is what's happening, it is relatively easy to correct.

It's a slight side issue, but if your Turbosmart dumpvalve is a vent to atmosphere one, personal preference would be to get rid.
Old 30 September 2010, 10:49 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Ok split pin turbo smart is gone I have noticed with the other ecu fitted the needle of the boost gauge fluctuates the boost gauge dosent behave the same when the ppp ecu is fitted all let u know how I get on split pin u obviously are a very clued up chap on subarus

Thanks alot for your help
Old 01 October 2010, 08:10 AM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

boost cut is @20psi on ppp and @17 on standard and as long is as you can adust your spring on dump valve so theres no boost leak you wont have a problem,ive got one on my sti mate and i run 20 psi through it with no issues if you like it put it back on coll 52,if by the other hand it is a ppp and you get boost cut what is very unlikely and if you do it will be in higher gear prob 4th 5th then if you havnt got a boost controller fitted then drill a slightly bigger hole in your restricter pill whats in the boost pipe from turbo to actuater to boost solonoid.
Old 01 October 2010, 12:32 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

I wonder why it does'nt have a case, when people upgrade to a simtek the old case has to be used leaving you with just the circuit board,

see what i'm getting at

U know what am gonna run the diagnostics on the ppp ecu hopefully it's the real deal but think am just gonna put the standard one back on as been thinking my car has too mutch mods on it for the ppp ecu to make a difference does it not spec is as follows

Decat pipe

Magnex centre section

Hayward and Scott back box

Walbro fuel pump

Pannel filter

Turbo smart dv
Old 01 October 2010, 03:16 PM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

I wonder why it does'nt have a case, when people upgrade to a simtek the old case has to be used leaving you with just the circuit board,

see what i'm getting at
Old 01 October 2010, 04:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

see what i'm getting at
That's always been a legitimate option. However in this case the seller has supposedly upgraded to an EcuTeK ECU, not an aftermarket implant. Given that all MY99-00 TeK licensed ECUs start life as standard components, they'd equally all start life in their own case, which is why it sounds superficially surprising to find the seller retaining the PPP one - especially given that he should have known the obvious advantages in being able to advertise and sell the PPP unit complete and unmolested. As you say it could be that he bought the Ecutek unit as a naked item and thus all this could be legit, but it's one of a number of factors that might add up to say something else. We'll see easily enough. As STi343 has said, the fuel cut values (plus other map items) are different.

and @17 on standard and as long is as you can adust your spring on dump valve so theres no boost leak you wont have a problem,
The reason I suggested removing the Turbosmart item is nothing to do with the possibility of leaking under boost, it's purely down to the "if it's a vent to atmosphere" item at the end of my comment. Reverting to the standard unit under these circumstances will usually improve driveability and transient throttle response.
Old 01 October 2010, 06:36 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

Hey split pin tried to pm u but won't let me had a funeral this morning and am at work just now car I think ma be vetting boost spike somthing ain't right got a vid but won't let me send the linc if I sit in 5th at 60 and put my foot to the floor the car goes up to 17/18 psi for a fraction of a second then holds at 15

I will be plugging the vag cable in first thing tomorrow will let u know how I get on

Guys cheers
Old 01 October 2010, 08:18 PM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

Hey split pin tried to pm u but won't let me had a funeral this morning and am at work just now car I think ma be vetting boost spike somthing ain't right got a vid but won't let me send the linc if I sit in 5th at 60 and put my foot to the floor the car goes up to 17/18 psi for a fraction of a second then holds at 15

I will be plugging the vag cable in first thing tomorrow will let u know how I get on

Guys cheers
1st of all you say boost spike if you was gettin this it would be as you was thrown back in your seat ,2ndly is this with the prodrive ecu fitted,3rdly are you running it on v-power?,i take it with you maintaining 15 psi you are running the ppp!!i still think your better gettin on the rollers before you blow it up
Old 01 October 2010, 08:23 PM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

1st of all you say boost spike if you was gettin this it would be as you was thrown back in your seat ,2ndly is this with the prodrive ecu fitted,3rdly are you running it on v-power?,i take it with you maintaining 15 psi you are running the ppp!!i still think your better gettin on the rollers before you blow it up
i persume boost spike =you mean fuel cut?
Old 01 October 2010, 08:53 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

No at least I don't think so have never heard of boost spike before have heard of boost cut had that on a gt4 it was like hitting a wall it took boost spike to mean exactlynwhatbis says a spike in the boost like what is happening with the boost gauge it spikes at 16/17 psi then settles at 15 it's on the ppp ecu on the old ecu the car sat at 15 psi boost I was told car should be sitting at round about that with the mods done car is running v power

Tomorrow will tell when the laptop gets plugged in car always runs on vpower
Old 02 October 2010, 09:01 AM
sti 343 bhp
Scooby Newbie

i persume boost spike =you mean fuel cut?
sorry getting boost spike mixed up with boost cut lads,boost spiking you might be getting because of the flow of exhaust prodrive was mapped with front decat still fitted,also with the intercooler silocone hose for smoother flow was fitted,i think if your gettin boost spike is to make the brass restricter pill 0.25mm larger the hole that is,that way it will prob go up to 17psi and hold 15psi.
Old 02 October 2010, 02:50 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

right got the laptop and the ecu talking to one another and it listed the ecu as this
it does not mean this is a standerd AE801 does it ?

Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  418.2 KB
Old 02 October 2010, 04:50 PM
coll_52
Scooby Regular

right further to reading another post by split pin i have used the ecu query in ecu explorer i enterd 2105061 in the start addy box and 2105076 in the stop addy

and got this
201EE5 - BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3

does this mean its a ppp ?
Old 02 October 2010, 04:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No it means it's a sheep.

Quick Reply: is this a prodrive ecu ?