Notices

oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2010, 06:32 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil pump

hi there can any1 tell me what the symptoms are of a faulty oil pump on my97. thank you
Old 27 September 2010, 06:49 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Low/No oil pressure leading to Bottom end Bearing failiure.

On standard pumps, the pan head screws that secure the backplate can come loose over time.
The relief valve can also get stuck, due to foreign debris jammimg the plunger.
Old 27 September 2010, 07:22 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
Low/No oil pressure leading to Bottom end Bearing failiure.

On standard pumps, the pan head screws that secure the backplate can come loose over time.
The relief valve can also get stuck, due to foreign debris jammimg the plunger.
i have noticed a knock on start up is just does this the once(1 singal knock) when i start from cold (sounds like something thats stuck freeing its self), could this be the relief valve sticking as its fine after the cars worm. if this is this how easy can i sort it and i will have to attemp it myself.
thank you fiestaboy
Old 27 September 2010, 08:09 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboaddict
[B][I]i have noticed a knock on start up is just does this the once(1 singal knock) when i start from cold (sounds like something thats stuck freeing its self), could this be the relief valve sticking?
No. Even if the valve was stuck (and releasing itself), you will never hear it above the general din of startup/engine run. It's impossible to diagnose "noises" via the internet but it's pretty safe to say that your knock, whatever it is, is caused elsewhere.

What is the reason for your post - or to put it another way, what is it that leads you to believe you might have a faulty pump? Do you have a pressure gauge?
Old 27 September 2010, 08:41 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
No. Even if the valve was stuck (and releasing itself), you will never hear it above the general din of startup/engine run. It's impossible to diagnose "noises" via the internet but it's pretty safe to say that your knock, whatever it is, is caused elsewhere.

What is the reason for your post - or to put it another way, what is it that leads you to believe you might have a faulty pump? Do you have a pressure gauge?
paranoia lol no it was just that i heard the knock and next day got misses to firer it up so i could stand with me nut unt under the bonnet to listen out for it as it only sounds the once. then i heard it it was from the front of the engine(maybe oil.pump). this is why i started this post and am glad you answered my question THANKYOU as i can now look else where for the cause.
iam looking at getting an oil pressure gauge sometime soon.