RE MAP ISSUE??? Need your Help

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2010, 09:22 PM
wogger03
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE MAP ISSUE??? Need your Help

Hi

I Need some help, I have found a new company in my area that is willing to re map my Scooby for only £170. This price is as a deal iv struck with the bloke at the mappers as Im taking 4 other mates with me with other various cars, Im the only Scooby. He states that from my 03 reg STI with PPP and HKS Panel filter I would be looking at around 330 - 340bhp after the remap on v power??

I need some advice:

Does this increase sound right??

He isnt mapping it on a rolling road or on the road, will this cause me issues??

What else do I need if I do have the remap?? He stated I will need an adjustable fuel regulator??

He did say theres a 20% chance the PPP ECU will be locked and cant be remapped??

He has also stated that if there are any problems / I am not happy then he can reload the old standard map for free. Any advice and help would be great as this could be a good offer but i really dnt want to kill my car!!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by wogger03; 21 September 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:34 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Whats the Company name ?
Old 21 September 2010, 09:36 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Its totaly up to you mate, but there a few known proven subaru mappers about the country who know there stuff and if i was you i would use one of them. £170 sounds good for a remap, but 2K for an engine build after it. Only you can make the choice, but i cant understand why you would wnt to risk it.
Old 21 September 2010, 10:14 PM
wogger03
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments, The company is called "Derbyshire Re - mappers" based just off of JCT 30M1, The blokes a top bloke and I cant fault him at all, im just very cautious with any work I have done on the car as 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. It just seems a good offer, What sort of things could go wrong??? again any help would be great.
Old 21 September 2010, 10:44 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

If he isn't mapping on the rolling road or on the road, where is he mapping it?
Old 21 September 2010, 10:47 PM
danssti
ACCOUNT UNDER INVESTIGATION

at ur own risk matey, personally i wouldnt but each to their own of course. There are as mentioned a few top mappers on here that are worth having a chat with to discuss your options. Simon aka jollygreenmonster.co.uk,juggers,duncan at dynamix.

Dan
05 jdm sti
400/400
Old 21 September 2010, 10:53 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
If he isn't mapping on the rolling road or on the road, where is he mapping it?
Agreed, sounds a bit strange................maybe a generic map? Also comment about ECU may be locked sounds a bit strange.

330-340 bhp is about right for this car though.

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2010, 11:03 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he is just flashing a generic map on it and not actually testing it. That is risky stuff.
Old 21 September 2010, 11:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG
Old 22 September 2010, 01:23 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Sounds like he is just flashing a generic map on it and not actually testing it. That is risky stuff.
Was also my suspicion the moment I read the "not on road or rolling road" comment. If it is a full custom remap, the price sounds like a bit too much of a bargain. There's also a question about how the map will be safety checked and final power increase measured/quantified if neither a rolling road nor a road dyno session is involved.

Wogger - the "sort of things that could go wrong" could range from poor performance to engine damage - so this is one area where you (and your mate) really should think carefully before proceeding, no matter how attractive the deal sounds. Your £170 remap could go smooth, or turn into a £four figure engine rebuild if you luck out in a major way.

The first thing I would do in these circumstances is ask the mapper where his experience was gained and also whether he will, as Duncan suggests, be using a generic map (obtained from someone else, or will be performing a full custom map. If the latter, it would be interesting to hear how he plans to achieve this without either using rolling or the public road. Incidentally, what's the mapper's name?

Last edited by Splitpin; 22 September 2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 22 September 2010, 01:26 AM
Petbeemer
Scooby Regular

Do it yourself it's a lot cheaper,
1.You learn more about your car
2.If it goes **** up then you only have yourself to blaim
3.Done right you will have a bit of fun during learning
4.Plenty of base maps around to get you half way there
Old 22 September 2010, 07:24 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Its not the guys that used to be involved with Open Mapping is it? Simon & Damian iirc?
Old 22 September 2010, 08:28 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

your right by scoobyclinic pop and see them for some advise.

last company i know that did flash maps blew up 6 cars and then legged it, which is the company duncan mentioned. They have no shut up shop, unles they hav rebranded it (which i doubt, they went there seperate ways before the company shut i believe)
Old 22 September 2010, 08:41 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tidgy
your right by scoobyclinic pop and see them for some advise.

last company i know that did flash maps blew up 6 cars and then legged it, which is the company duncan mentioned. They have no shut up shop, unles they hav rebranded it (which i doubt, they went there seperate ways before the company shut i believe)
Their trail of destruction was fairly huge with lots of unhappy people in such a short time.

There are plenty of alternatives to a risky option like this, all of which are more expensive I grant you but search through the feedback on remaps done on here and it is generally money well spent.
Old 22 September 2010, 10:19 AM
wogger03
Scooby Regular

Cheers again for all the comments, the main problem is I dont have a clue about re mapping so sorry if I come over as bit of a numpty. The £170 is a discounted offer he usually charges £300 and states its a custom map for each car?? again I was a little unsure how this was going to be done with out at least taking it on the road?
Old 22 September 2010, 12:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

sounds like road mapping, which you can't do without breaking the law. generaly mapping is best done on a dyno with final check/any tweeks done on a test drive on road.

£300 is about going rate for a mapper's time. normaly you can expect to pay around £650ish for it. the increase is due to cost of license (ecuteck is prob regarded as best program to map standard ecu), and then the usual costs for the party doing it, such as liability insurance, buildings, staff, Dyno wear and tear etc etc etc

also don't forget old vat man, alot of prices are plus Vat not inclusive within the motror trade so don't get stung by that
Old 22 September 2010, 03:19 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not worth the risk & hassle. Just get you car mapped by a proper mapper.
Old 22 September 2010, 04:21 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tidgy
sounds like road mapping, which you can't do without breaking the law. generaly mapping is best done on a dyno with final check/any tweeks done on a test drive on road.
Tidgy - you missed the part where they said it wasnt mapped on either dyno or road.

So unless it is taken on track it can only be a generic map .. how is it possible to test a map without driving it?

As to road versus dyno - that argument is done to death and completely irrelevant to this thread. I will continue to use both depending on what is best for my customers and/or their cars but a dyno mapped car ALWAYS has to be road (or track) tested and most likely tweaked again for that to be done properly IMO. Anyone that isnt, can't be delivering a full and proper map as there is no way, I believe, a dyno can replicate the real world in entirety.
Old 22 September 2010, 04:32 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Its not the guys that used to be involved with Open Mapping is it? Simon & Damian iirc?
That was why I asked the mapper's name. I seem to recall that Open-Mapping listed their location as somewhere just off some junction of the M1 in that general neck of the woods. May be someone completely different of course, but would be interesting to find out.
Old 22 September 2010, 04:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Tidgy - you missed the part where they said it wasnt mapped on either dyno or road.

So unless it is taken on track it can only be a generic map .. how is it possible to test a map without driving it?

As to road versus dyno - that argument is done to death and completely irrelevant to this thread. I will continue to use both depending on what is best for my customers and/or their cars but a dyno mapped car ALWAYS has to be road (or track) tested and most likely tweaked again for that to be done properly IMO. Anyone that isnt, can't be delivering a full and proper map as there is no way, I believe, a dyno can replicate the real world in entirety.
ah yeah i did, read the bit about not mapped on a dyno lol
Old 22 September 2010, 05:41 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

id pay the extra mate for POM, duncan did mine couple of months ago and did an amazing job best thing had done to the car by far no need to take the risk for the sake of a saving especially when there are mappers on here with excellent rep imho..
Old 23 September 2010, 10:46 PM
wogger03
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice people, I will be speaking to Duncan as soon as funds are ready again thanks
Old 23 September 2010, 10:51 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i live round that way, and ive never heard of the place......

a big fat no no.....
Old 23 September 2010, 11:15 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I think there is room for both generic maps and custom maps, I have been on the cosworth scene since 1992 and had my 3 door initially fitted with a collins mail order stage 1 chip, just fitted it and then set the boost to required settings, at a later date I had it on a rolling road and no issues about 270bhp and good fueling, much later I had a custom tune done that involved on road mapping, the car was better and was about 300bhp, it depends what you want, I can't understand why in the scooby scene generic remaps are so unpopular the ppp map is a stage 1 generic map in reality, but my advice is if you want more than the ppp then a custom map is the way to go, but I see nothing wrong with modding a standard car to ppp level and using a generic ppp map as it is safe, Subaru wouldn't put a warranty on it if it wasn't. As your car is already a ppp then my advice would be a custom remap is the way forward as any generic remap from ppp will be cutting out the safety margin on the ppp map and needs careful setting up. What you acheive from this is dependant upon the skill of the mapper so you would be better paying a little more and going to someone who has experience, In my case on the cossie I went to Karl Norris who is to cossies what the best mappers on here are to Subarus and his time was worth every penny, his gunship conversion is the best out there.