Notices

Dump valve replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2010, 02:54 PM
jaseman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump valve replacement?

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if it is an easy job and straight forward to change a dump valve on a 2001 WRX impreza from a standard to an aftermarket replacement ie a Bailey dump valve etc?
Old 19 September 2010, 02:57 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaseman
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if it is an easy job and straight forward to change a dump valve on a 2001 WRX impreza from a standard to an aftermarket replacement ie a Bailey dump valve etc?
Its very straight forward to do although if you are to fit an atmospheric DV I would avoid the Bailey but recommend the Forge range very highly.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 03:05 PM
John306
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big 'D'
Its very straight forward to do although if you are to fit an atmospheric DV I would avoid the Bailey but recommend the Forge range very highly.

Cheers Iain
is there a particular problem with the bailey dump valves? my car came with one on it. should i change it?
Old 19 September 2010, 04:02 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John306
is there a particular problem with the bailey dump valves? my car came with one on it. should i change it?
They are fine to start with but as the piston is made of chocolate and a different material to the cylinder/housing it gets very scored and will eventually start to stick which slows operation and will cause the piston to stick open at idle causing running isses.

When fitting a BOV I have found that if you can set the spring rate so that the bov does not dump until atleast 0.3 bar is reached, this seems to help with the rich state that you would normally see with a BOV by holding in a bit of the pressure when you back off. It certainly stops the popping and banging that you would normally get after fitting a BOV.

Cheers Iain
Old 19 September 2010, 04:54 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead easy job as said above,undo the two 12 mm bolts ,then take off the spring clip that is attached to the hose(recirc),remove hose and vacume tube.Remove oe valve & gasket,insert a 31 mm bung into the hose and use the spring clip to secure.Using your original gasket,bolt the dump valve to the intercooler,connect vacume pipe and thats it.

As said earlier the baileys use a twin piston design with 2 different springs in the housing ,which are prone to sticking, and 1 or both springs tend to weaken. The forge is much better made,but so are the blitz and turbosmart dv's,which have the added benefit of being able to adjust them manually opposed to using stiffer/weaker springs
Old 19 September 2010, 05:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Want your car to run well? Rather than sound like a chav magnet? Keep the OE valve.
Old 19 September 2010, 05:13 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Want your car to run well? Rather than sound like a chav magnet? Keep the OE valve.
+1 what Alcazar says, i bought a V2 sti 555 with a chav horn on and i swear its contributed to the current problems i have (misfire at 2-3k, erratic boost, subsequent blown head gasket)
Old 19 September 2010, 09:45 PM
killy
Scooby Newbie

I bought a 2004 sti with a forge bov on, car was a little choppy and i got a standard one off ebay and car ran smoothly exactly like the 100 threads that said put the original recirc valve back on promised!

Last edited by killy; 19 September 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 10:18 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depend on tune your car,i have WRX 2002 with FMIC and Forge DV(who cares is chav,i like that),and never have problem with any misfire,AFR or whatsoever.
And again,if DV go for Forge or more expensive Blitz as above have been mentioned.

Jura
Old 20 September 2010, 06:35 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John306
no problem at all with bailyes d.v i have one fitted (buy previous owner) and it has been on there for years n years and it fianly started to fail last month so i rang up bailyes and then sent it back to them to test and have all the inners changed (£37) 2days later a brand new 1 arrived at my door. cant get fairer than that really. i have not had no running issues due to having a d.v, and the only reason the old 1 had probs becouse it was 6years old.