Notices

coolant bleeding please help

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2010, 02:27 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant bleeding please help

Hi guys, got a bit of a dilemma on my hands that on need some advice on...

Just done a coolant change on my 03 WRX, drained the coolant through the bottom rad hose and flushed it through with water.

Refilled the coolant through the coolant hose off of the header tank which goes down towards the turbo. Gave the pipes a bit of a squeeze, ran the engine with the cap off and heaters on full hot until it reached the normal temp mark on the gauge.

The top hose to the rad gets nice and hot, Both pipes going to the heater matrix feel hot , and iv got a hot heater with no overheating on the gauge. however the bottom hose to the rad is pretty cold, and the actual rad itself doesnt feel hot either. Not had the fan cut in yet either.
I replaced the cap and took it for a very short drive up the road (only to top of road and back) but it still seems cold. If i take the cap off the rad or header tank and squeeze the hose the levels do rise up, so its deffo got coolant in the pipes and not blocked.

When the coolant is hot and all caps back on, the top rad hose feels quite pressurised, as does the bottom hose - is this ok?

I guess it maybe that i just need to take it for a longer run up the road, but im paranoid about cooking a headgasket if it gets too hot - or will i be fine as long as the temp gauge stays on normal??

Last edited by djandyg; 18 September 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 18 September 2010, 02:42 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

I think you should be ok watching the temp gauge for head gasket problems, especially if it's just a short run, off boost.

The fan should cut in even if the car is just idling for a while.

But I'm no expert on these cars, especially the newer ones (I've got a classic) so maybe wait for others to advise.
Old 18 September 2010, 04:13 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trogg
I think you should be ok watching the temp gauge for head gasket problems, especially if it's just a short run, off boost.

The fan should cut in even if the car is just idling for a while.

But I'm no expert on these cars, especially the newer ones (I've got a classic) so maybe wait for others to advise.
Thanks for that mate - i decided to take it for a short run t try and get it a bit hotter, eventually the bottom hose got hot....fans later cut in so im guessing its all ok now.

I do have one last question if anyone is able to give their opinion - If i push slghtly on the plastic stick/seal on the header tank cap i get a tiny amount of coolant seep out from under the edge of the sticker - is that normal or has the seal failed and the cap need replacing?