Notices

Variable vane turbos for petrol cars - Why was I not told?!

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2010, 12:13 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Variable vane turbos for petrol cars - Why was I not told?!

Thus far variable vane turbos, which can boost much earlier than the equivalent regular turbos, have been primarily the purview of diesels. However, the Porsche 911 has apparently been running a couple of these from BorgWarner since 2007:

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/product...sGasoline.aspx

The vanes can effectively 'squeeze' the airflow and make it much faster at lower RPM and gradually open up for high flow at high RPM making a much more usable flow range. What I'd really love to see is a flow map but I've not found one yet. Granted it's only good to 330hp but if it works likes they like claim, my first thought might be, "Twin scroll this "...

I suspect however that reprogramming the WDCs and turbodynamics for this would entail lots of and some Still, could this be the 2.0s answer to the 2.5s 'insta torque' at low RPMs? (Stroking notwithstanding). And I've just bought a 321T. Yes ok, it's 400hp..... at 20,000RPM!! . I'd rather have something like 200hp at 2000RPMs.

Also, I suspect that, while diesel turbo performance is phenomenal with variable vane turbos, as doubtless some of us have discovered to our embarrassment, the physics of diesel combustion are significantly different to that of petrol engines hence I would suggest that it's debatable as to whether one of these would give a significantly better low end torque response than an equivalent IHI for example.

Any thoughts? Or preferably a flow map of the K2 if anyone can find one.
Old 10 September 2010, 12:56 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

I have been watching turbo development for some years now,diesel burns a lot cooler normaly power band lower 1.5k-6k petrol 2.5-8k so the turbo would have to be more complex ie cost,car market like computers the tech has been around for years bring out something so good all parts and stock on the shelves would lose value overnight therefore it will be gradual sadley
Old 10 September 2010, 03:31 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Yes, I noticed they were using titanium in the design to allow it to run at 'petrol' turbo temps. Even then the limit appears to be only 1050C. Not much headroom.

From what I've read about the tech, for petrol engines, it hasn't been around for years as, until recently, there was no mass production variable vane technology which could survive the high temps. Unless you have examples of this being used on petrol cars previously? Not seen any myself.

Interesting theory about tech being withheld to clear existing stock. Unless the tech is proprietary that's totally untrue. If one supplier withholds tech to prevent existing stock being devalued then competing suppliers will be happy to launch the technology and devalue their stock for them... and take their customers in the process. First to market is a very big deal in any tech industry.
Old 10 September 2010, 04:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

clear stock, pmsl thats a larf,

simple reason for them not being widley available is cost. turbos are pretty sinple, inlet fan outlet fan shaft and housing (ok bit more than that but thats the gist of them). Variable vane is much much more hitech and therefore mega expensive. is it worth putting 8 grand worth of turbo on a worth 5k?
Old 10 September 2010, 05:07 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

To beat one pesky oil burner ?

YES !

dunx
Old 10 September 2010, 05:17 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
simple reason for them not being widley available is cost. turbos are pretty sinple, inlet fan outlet fan shaft and housing (ok bit more than that but thats the gist of them). Variable vane is much much more hitech and therefore mega expensive. is it worth putting 8 grand worth of turbo on a worth 5k?
Googled them. $1000 - $2500. Where did you get 8 grand from?