Notices

Restrictive bung or quieter backbox

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2010, 10:31 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restrictive bung or quieter backbox

Hi people, this is prob a stupid question however i shall ask any way, ive got a full decat and afterburner vortex backbox on the car at the mo so its pritty loud and im on track this weekend so obviously it needs to be quieter to pass the sound test, my question is would the bung that i use in the vortex be much more restrictive than a quieter/bigger box powerflow backbox which i have spare?
I assume the powerflow backbox would be better to put on than the bung but am hoping people are gonna say bung due to my laziness
thanks in advance for any comments
Old 09 September 2010, 10:49 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

Bung will sap power, I had one on my HKS super dragger on my evo, spat it out at full pelt indicating how restricitve it was.
I would opt for a quieter box that has a decent flow!!!
Old 09 September 2010, 11:33 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

spat it out

I was thinking of getting a bung for my HKS Hi power, do they get secured with screws?
Old 09 September 2010, 11:49 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

yeah it was but, screw worked its self loose with the vibration. Least it missed the car behind me at the time
Old 10 September 2010, 01:43 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PJF
Hi people, this is prob a stupid question however i shall ask any way, ive got a full decat and afterburner vortex backbox on the car at the mo so its pritty loud and im on track this weekend so obviously it needs to be quieter to pass the sound test, my question is would the bung that i use in the vortex be much more restrictive than a quieter/bigger box powerflow backbox which i have spare?
I assume the powerflow backbox would be better to put on than the bung but am hoping people are gonna say bung due to my laziness
thanks in advance for any comments
i've just had the full decat done with afterburner vortex. scoobyworld said the backbox has changed recently so the stock bung won't fit mine properly, would need a custom.

need to run half boost with bung, restricts airflow and you dont want the pressure building up too much. i'll be buying the racebox backbox before i track mine next year. easy enough to swap it on for tracks then swap back after.
Old 10 September 2010, 07:38 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a spare backbox put it on imho,the bung will sap power and definetley increase back pressure in your system - one thing you dont need if your going to be 'ragging' it around a track.

'I assume the powerflow backbox would be better to put on than the bung but am hoping people are gonna say bung due to my laziness'

I cant really see any problem , the back box will take you 15 mins to get off ,even if your a complete novice:2x 16mm bolts and a liberal spraying of wd40 on the rubbers and job done,or failing that take it to your local exhaust outlet ,give them a £10.00 and let them do it. I changed my ninja 2 for an afterburner vortex last week and never even bothered jacking the car up.
Old 10 September 2010, 08:11 AM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

As everyone has said, if you have a another back box use it!
I have a full 3' decat but have it matted to a 2.5 inch pro drive back box as i couldn't put up with the noise of the 3' back box i had. Can't actually remember the make of it, but it wasnt hks or a well known one.

Car still going really well, and much quieter!
Old 10 September 2010, 09:25 AM
RS74
Scooby Regular

do what i do ... put your bung in . let them do the sound check , you normally get a sticker in your windscreen saying it's passed .... then after a couple of laps , take bung out ... sorted
Old 10 September 2010, 09:30 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS74
do what i do ... put your bung in . let them do the sound check , you normally get a sticker in your windscreen saying it's passed .... then after a couple of laps , take bung out ... sorted
And then you get black flagged for drive by noise

FWIW Raceboxes aren't that quiet for track, STi/PD boxes or original scoobysports (H&S) are the best option for bolt on 2.5" bore.
Old 10 September 2010, 07:07 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys i have swapped to the powerflow backbox abit to quiet for my likeing but as you all say bung restricts it to much, and last time i was on track saw the scooby next to me black flagged on second lap for noise, definatly dont want that.
this is for chris84, the bung i got didnt fit the vortex had to grind it down, and now its a perfect fit although need a pair of pliers to get it out.
Thanks for all your info guys it was a big help.