Notices

inlet manifold gasket sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2010, 02:33 PM
Carlos 1975
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inlet manifold gasket sealant?

Can i use a gasket sealant on my inlet manifold, i swapped my inlet manifold for a an sti one not so long ago and the car doesn't boost anymore, you can feel it surge as if its coming on boost but then it does nothing. If i have been for a run in the car and get the engine hot then turn the engine off for ten minutes or so then go for a run again i have full boost, it seems as if the gap/ leak has closed with the expansion/heat of the engine. I just hope its not a faulty manifold with an airline crack in or something along them lines.When i changed the manifold before i never replaced the gasket, and need to eliminate this first so its coming off again this weekend to put a new one on, but cos this is a bit of a pain in the **** job i was wondering if there any additional sealant i can use to be doubly sure i have a good seal. what sort of temperatures will the manifold be running. Im running 300 hp if this matters?
any advice appreciated.
Carl
Old 09 September 2010, 04:10 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't, if you suck bits of gasket sealant into the valves and ultimately the cylinders I'm not sure it will do the engine a lot of good.

Don't wish to offend but from the text of your post you don't sound like you're entirely sure of what you're doing. Maybe get a professional to check it all over before you do some expensive damage
Old 09 September 2010, 06:59 PM
Carlos 1975
Scooby Regular

it isn't uncommon to put sealant on to inlet manifolds as far as i'm aware. i know its not common practice as it can destroy catalytic converters, but as im running a decat im sure it will be ok. i am more than capabale of doing any spanner work and i know i'm loosing boost pressure somewhere, i've checked all the obvious intercooler hoses etc and even put my original intercooler back on with the original hose and problem is still there, so if i change the inlet manifold gaskets and the problem still persists i would be looking at a faulty manifold, its just a process of elimination, just like any garage/mechanic would do.
Old 09 September 2010, 08:18 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

moistening the gasket no prob big dolops land up inside your engine,check for leak engine at normal temp,can of carb cleaner with nozzle,spray around gaskets pipes etc if have a leak the engine will change note,once you have found leak bring up engine revs to clear cleaner.Ps never use old gaskets always land up in extra work/tears

Last edited by Gregsti01; 09 September 2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: crap spelling
Old 09 September 2010, 08:44 PM
Carlos 1975
Scooby Regular

i've tried the brake cleaner around pipework etc but you can't realy get to manifold properly, plus my exhaust is stupidly loud and not the best to hear engine change tone. I've got my new gaskets today, so gonna change them tomorrow, fingers crossed