Knock Levels on PFC

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2010, 09:16 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Levels on PFC

Hi Guys,

I keep seeing some high knock levels on the apexi ecu. My car is the WRX in the Rex Racer Project thread, 1993 with a few mods.

Car was recently re-mapped by fiestaboy, during which we encountered a load of problems but Rich helped me get them sorted during the session. Problem was something was blowing by the end of the mapping, I then found out it was the up-pipe which had a big crack in it. Welded the up-pipe and now all is good, problem is I get a high knock level every now and again.

I read that upto 50 is normal on my engine and my warning light is set to 45. Ive seen 45,47,56,58,62,63 all at different revs, different gears, different situations. Its strange because sometime I can plant it in second and third and wont see above 17 or 22. The last one I got of 63 was at 5400rpm on WOT in 5th gear uphill.

I know that the map needs a tweak due to being mapped with a broken uppipe but cant see how Im going to get down to fiestaboy to get this sorted. Im just wondering if this knock level is an issue then would it not occur the same time under the same situation... not just randomly?

I am also confused as to why I dont make more than 1.23bar boost when it was mapped to 1.3? Could that be a sign of a turbo dying... it nails 1.23bar every time perfectly lol? bloody cars!

Gaz
Old 06 September 2010, 12:50 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop driving it on boost

The map sensor maxes out at 1.23bar and can read no higher.

The high knock readings are because it needs a tweak due to uppipe leak as you said

Simon
Old 06 September 2010, 10:36 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon,

The map sensor is a 3bar item so why would it max out? Maybe its not using the boost control kit as it should be?

I knew it would probably need a tweak after finding that split in the up-pipe, just thought it was strange that it doesnt knock everytime on full throttle just does it on odd occasions.

If any mappers out there are coming near north wales anytime soon please let me know, maybe someone could help me get it sorted.

I really cant believe the amount of problems I have had trying to get this car mapped. Thanks again for you help Simon.

Gaz
Old 06 September 2010, 12:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Sat at holyhead waiting for a ferry, mapping in ireland until friday so maybe possible on my way back

If on the boost control kit 3bar apexi map sensor then yes it should read higher

Simon
Old 06 September 2010, 12:41 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Simon that would be amazing, if thats not possible then dont worry about it I know how busy you are but at the minute I really would like to sort these issues. I hate not finishing a job and this is really bothering me.

The boost control kit is the apexi lead connected to a 3bar map sensor, not an apexi sensor but this setup was working fine when it was mapped. We did have problems getting the boost control kit to stay on when changing boost settings. It kept going back to the OE sensor if you switched between boost options so the kit had to be turned off and on again.

Im really not having much luck with any of this and have to go back to university in 13days, really would like to get the car running right before going back or I wont be able to sleep lol... please get in touch if you have time to take alook on your return trip, I will come and meet you anywhere between holyhead and england. I can even setup the use of a rolling road in rhyl if need be. Thanks again!

Gaz
Old 06 September 2010, 12:45 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Pm me your number and postcode and i will write it in the diary

Common to have to turn boost control on and off between changes

Simon