Notices

LPG CONVERSION ?? ANYONE DONE THIS

Old 03 September 2010, 01:56 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPG CONVERSION ?? ANYONE DONE THIS

Afternoon ppl

Just having a chat with my dads pal in pub other day and he`s had a LPG conversion done on his V70 T5 and swears you can`t tell a difference at all. Apart from more mpg and more money in his pocket with it been half the price of petrol.

Question I have is could a 2002 Bugeye WRX be converted if so how much do you recon you`d pay and does it damage the car in anyway at all ?? Plus can they still be mapped once converted ?

Not gona run out over weekend and get it done but my dads pal swore by lpg and I know he knows his cars as he`s had all types of motors over the years so just wanted ppls thoughts and thought I`d put it to you guys.

Cheers Rich
Old 03 September 2010, 02:04 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

can be done. I think you need the valve lube add on as well. It will take a lot of miles to pay back though. Most places advertise about 2k to do it. Think it will also switch to petrol on higher boost. Have a look on scoobypedia think there is an article on there.
Old 03 September 2010, 02:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rich i have on my WRX Bugeye LPG conversion which cost 1200£ all inc VAT(including Flash Lube kit).
LPG have separate ECU(your original ECU will be remapped without problem,i have mapped my WRX on 280bhp) and my friend mapped for me LPG Ecu and now running 266BHP on LPG.
I have friend which run on 400BHP EVO 8 LPG.

Last edited by jura11; 03 September 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03 September 2010, 02:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

double post
Old 03 September 2010, 02:51 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

fordrsrick has a conversion on his sti
Old 03 September 2010, 03:00 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Rich i have on my WRX Bugeye LPG conversion which cost 1200£ all inc VAT(including Flash Lube kit).
LPG have separate ECU(your original ECU will be remapped without problem,i have mapped my WRX on 280bhp) and my friend mapped for me LPG Ecu and now running 266BHP.
Originally Posted by daz1968
can be done. I think you need the valve lube add on as well. It will take a lot of miles to pay back though. Most places advertise about 2k to do it. Think it will also switch to petrol on higher boost. Have a look on scoobypedia think there is an article on there.
Thanks for the reply guys it was only a idea and I think it will stay exactley that lol but for that type of money I`d be having to drive to the end of the earth weekly to see any benefits to the pocket didnt realise it was that expensive at all. Thanks for input though. I`ll just have to stop been a tight **** and stop trying to save money at every given corner lol
Old 03 September 2010, 08:20 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I've recently had my WRX converted and I wish I'd done it sooner. My fuel costs have more than halved so I should break even 10 months after conversion. It cost me £1600 to get it done inc flash lube. I am now paying 57p per litre and I'm covering the same mileage as I was on petrol.

Most of the time there is absolutely no difference between the two fuels but if I take the engine above 5K revs then it will switch back to running petrol but thats not often so it doesn't bother me.

I understand if the car is remapped then thats not a problem as the LPG ecu can be tweaked independently if required.

Obviously there isn't as many LPG stations around as petrol ones but if you do run out then it will switch to petrol so it's not like you'll be stranded if you run out of fuel.

I've got some photos of my installation if anyone wants to see them.
Old 04 September 2010, 09:00 AM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

i would be interested to see pics of it pls and are you really seeing the same mpg as my rangerover was not alot cheaper on lpg than it was on petrol as you normally get 15-20 % less mpg on lpg what system is it you have fitted ??
Old 04 September 2010, 09:34 AM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

Mine is a brc system and I'm definitely getting the same mpg. I think this might be down to the LPG kit being mapped on the road for my car whereas the petrol one is the generic subaru map. I was quite surprised anyway as everywhere says at least a 10% loss in mpg.

I will sort some photos out
Old 04 September 2010, 10:17 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bungleaio
I've recently had my WRX converted and I wish I'd done it sooner. My fuel costs have more than halved so I should break even 10 months after conversion. It cost me £1600 to get it done inc flash lube. I am now paying 57p per litre and I'm covering the same mileage as I was on petrol.

Most of the time there is absolutely no difference between the two fuels but if I take the engine above 5K revs then it will switch back to running petrol but thats not often so it doesn't bother me.

I understand if the car is remapped then thats not a problem as the LPG ecu can be tweaked independently if required.

Obviously there isn't as many LPG stations around as petrol ones but if you do run out then it will switch to petrol so it's not like you'll be stranded if you run out of fuel.

I've got some photos of my installation if anyone wants to see them.
I look forward to seeing pix, I only use my car for the odd a to b during the wk and on wkend so I dont do enough miles really to justify the outlay but very interested in seeing pix.

cheers Rich
Old 04 September 2010, 02:06 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

Ok here;s the pics

You can see the new ecu to the left (with the purple bit on), flash lube bottom left, injectors are mounted on top of the manifold, vaporiser is top right but you can't really see it.

This is the only change to the interior, there is a small button next to the fog light switches. It has 5 lights, top one is red or green depending on if it is on gas (green) or petrol (red). The other four tell you the fuel level. When the tank is running on reserve the last one flashes, its quite a subtle flash and isn't distracting. Its not the best gauge to be honest the reserve lasts as long as the other four lights are on. It could do with being re calibrated really but I tend to use the odometer as a more accurate measure. I can do around 175 miles on the tank. There is also a button in the middle so that I can switch LPG off and run just on petrol if I want.

This a 55L tank but to allow expansion I can only get around 48L in. I could of had a larger tank fitted accross the back seat but I use the through load facility quite a bit so that wasn't an option for me. Likewise a tank in the wheel well would have restricted my access to this.

The filler cap, I could of had this in the metal work but I decided to have it in the bumper.

Any questions let me know.

Last edited by Bungleaio; 04 September 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04 September 2010, 10:05 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

that looks like a smart job mate.
Old 04 September 2010, 10:11 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Nice one fella food for thought there.

Have a good 1

Rich
Old 21 September 2010, 08:40 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this if I got a Hawkeye WRX or STI especially as there is the tax savings each year, over £200 a year I think on top of fuel savings...but after seeing how much boot space it takes up am a bit disappointed and put off.
Old 21 September 2010, 08:46 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

you will not get more mpg on lpg its about 15-20 % less than petrol but as you say about half the price so still a good saving and i have had a ouple of rangerovers and you can not tell the difference just runs slightly more quiet but as said takes alot to get your money back
Old 21 September 2010, 08:49 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Cars taxed after 06 will drop to £220 a year wont they from £430? Is hat right? That will contribute a lot to the savings. Just that amount of space it takes up is a lot.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:01 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Cars taxed after 06 will drop to £220 a year wont they from £430? Is hat right? That will contribute a lot to the savings. Just that amount of space it takes up is a lot.
Hi there,i have LPG tank(48L) fitted where as before emergency tyre and boot is fully accessible(but i have in boot subwoofer and amp)
Old 21 September 2010, 09:23 PM
cokes
Scooby Newbie

i see that most of you that have had the lpg conversion drive newer scoobs, any ideas if they would do a conversion for my92 wrx??

cheers!
Old 21 September 2010, 09:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

wait till the valves regress in to the head and it starts to miss, what you save on fuel will go on repair bills. even the genuine subaru gas conversion you could specify when ordering a new car could not stop the valve regression
Old 21 September 2010, 09:34 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
wait till the valves regress in to the head and it starts to miss, what you save on fuel will go on repair bills. even the genuine subaru gas conversion you could specify when ordering a new car could not stop the valve regression
Probably you are forgot,i have flash lube kit,which protect valves etc.,because LPG is dry.
Just use google and type it:Flash lube kit

My friend have EVO which happy run 400BHP for 2 years without one issue.And LPG will fit to any car
Old 09 November 2010, 10:02 PM
jcb_xx
Scooby Newbie

Hi!!

I have convert my WRX2.5T (black hawnk) of 2008 to LPG...

It appear one strange problem!!!
I don't know how complex is de WRX 2.5T, but I know that it adaptes very quick to the driver and conditions. However since I have my LPG kit installed my car lose power a gas while it works at LPG.

Then I make a reset (shuting off the batery) and the power become to normal!!!!!!

My kit is a PRINS, and bring an electrinic advice to lubrificate the valves!!!!
Old 03 December 2010, 10:38 PM
david_sway
Scooby Regular

Default lpg conversion

hi i have had my v7 sti converted to lpg in august and covered 5000 miles no problems what so ever i advise using the brc plug and drive system or prins vsi as these can be mapped no loss of power and they dont switch onto petrol on full boost my conversion cost £1650 including flash lube also i had ngk special lpg iridium spark plugs burns more efficient
Old 03 December 2010, 10:46 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Do you notice any ill side affects with having such a large tank in the boot? I.e. more tail happy handling?
Old 04 December 2010, 02:09 AM
jcb_xx
Scooby Newbie

I think that tank capacibility don't interfeer with the car power. There is an advice in the tank that control the lpg pressure.

My tank is a 64litres one.

The problem of power loss remain.

I have an VSI installed too!!
Old 21 March 2011, 09:20 PM
apotheker
Scooby Newbie

Hi,are you still satisfied with your LPG conversion,any problems?
Old 21 March 2011, 09:32 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Mines been converted had no problems on my 2005 wrx
Old 21 March 2011, 09:35 PM
apotheker
Scooby Newbie

Since when are you using it with LPG?And what system?
Old 21 March 2011, 11:17 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

been on since january done 2k, mines a stag system cost me £35 to fill up saving nearly double on petrol price , and no notice in power loss
Old 22 March 2011, 01:56 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I've been on LPG since June and I've covered about 9000 miles, things I've noticed about it:

1. I very rarely have to put petrol in any more, I get roughly 2000 miles to a full tank.
2. There is a very slight loss in efficiency, I get an average of 17mpg on LPG, 18 on petrol.
3. Power is lower on LPG, it's not massively lower but it is definately less.
4. LPG stations very rarely have covers on them, if it's raining you'll get wet.

I'm very glad I had mine converted, I wish I had done it sooner as I would have saved quite a bit of money on fuel.
Old 22 March 2011, 04:00 PM
Bungleaio
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this if I got a Hawkeye WRX or STI especially as there is the tax savings each year, over £200 a year I think on top of fuel savings...but after seeing how much boot space it takes up am a bit disappointed and put off.
Unfortunately this is not right, you will get a maximum of £15 reduction in VED

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LPG CONVERSION ?? ANYONE DONE THIS