Notices

Proving a maf is broken? Trying to get refund

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2010, 12:48 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proving a maf is broken? Trying to get refund

Right I've been having fun and games with car. I need to sell the damn thing so this is a real headache

Maf failed the other week. Bit poor after the engine rebuild so hunted one on ebay. It's an orange label like the one that died. Basically original one went completely over night refused to hold revs. Replacement from ebay works better but over fuels, backfires, and stalls when going round corners or pulling up. I've had the Idle air valve off and cleaned, but ECU is still flashing the code 23 at me.

Seller is less than happy about refunding me. Claims it was working fine. The ebay maf has a very black emement so don't look healthy at all. Offered me a partial refund so had to open a case and lets face it ebay arent very good these days at swift refunds.

Anyway of testing the maf? Multi meter? how? lol sorry at wits end and want to be 100% sure and would like somehting to back up my refund claim.
Old 02 September 2010, 01:06 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryansss
Right I've been having fun and games with car. I need to sell the damn thing so this is a real headache

Maf failed the other week. Bit poor after the engine rebuild so hunted one on ebay. It's an orange label like the one that died. Basically original one went completely over night refused to hold revs. Replacement from ebay works better but over fuels, backfires, and stalls when going round corners or pulling up. I've had the Idle air valve off and cleaned, but ECU is still flashing the code 23 at me.

Seller is less than happy about refunding me. Claims it was working fine. The ebay maf has a very black emement so don't look healthy at all. Offered me a partial refund so had to open a case and lets face it ebay arent very good these days at swift refunds.

Anyway of testing the maf? Multi meter? how? lol sorry at wits end and want to be 100% sure and would like somehting to back up my refund claim.
hi mate i also got a maf off of flea bay but mine was ok, it stated that it had been" signal tested with a oscillator"(think that's how ya spell it) hope this helps you, as and where you can find a "oscillator" is beyond me.....all the best
Old 02 September 2010, 02:11 PM
ryansss
Scooby Regular

Hmm will have to look that up
Old 02 September 2010, 04:28 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Classic or newage? Search the tech forums - there have been loads of threads on this which should help you.
Old 02 September 2010, 04:53 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

hi when a MAF fails the ecu has the code 23 if you put a replacement new or secondhand MAF you still need to reset the ecu the easest was to do this is unplug the battery for 1 hour or a little longer and try it again this will reset the ecu so car should run fine providing MAF is fine and there is nothing else wrong with your car pal
Old 02 September 2010, 05:23 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Then I would suggest there is a problem elsewhere, you have no proof at all the Ebay maf is faulty. Just becuase the ECU is flashing a code it doesn't mean the maf is definitely faulty. The Orange label mafs are generally very reliable and I wouldn't be surpised if your original was okay too and that the real problem was something like a split intercooler hose or faulty dump valve.

Originally Posted by ryansss