Notices

Engine build

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 09:50 AM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build

ok im running good power at the moment in my Sti7.

i want to start collecting parts for a big power build.

obviously i need to build a forged engine but i am unsure of what my options are.

should i keep the 2.0 and forge it

keep the 2.0 and stroke it (not sure how far i can go)

or go 2.5

please help
Old 01 September 2010, 11:02 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

how much do you want to spend? what power do you want? what do you ultimately want the car for as there are big power builds then there are "big power" builds.
Old 01 September 2010, 05:21 PM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN 600bhp reliably if i want to, im not into these 20k builds i have read about, i will be doing all the build work myself but will outsource machining etc.
Old 01 September 2010, 10:07 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by KINGHORN
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN 600bhp reliably if i want to, im not into these 20k builds i have read about, i will be doing all the build work myself but will outsource machining etc.
If you're not prepared to spend then a genuine 600 bhp and "reliably" do not go hand in hand.
Old 02 September 2010, 01:12 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

then my friend you are wasting your time. reliability does not come cheap.
Old 02 September 2010, 01:20 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A 600bhp Impreza and reliable don't go together imho.
Old 02 September 2010, 01:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Oh oh, that's a post & a half

TX.
Old 02 September 2010, 01:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JP4
If you're not prepared to spend then a genuine 600 bhp and "reliably" do not go hand in hand.
How much would you have to spend to get 600hp reliably in your opinion?

Given that he's got an sti to start off with, and is doing most of the work himself, surely it can not cost anywhere *near* 20k?

I thought Lateral performance would sell you a built 2.33 short block for about 4k or there-abouts, and that's obviously including labour and on an expensive block already.
Old 02 September 2010, 07:43 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by Henrik
How much would you have to spend to get 600hp reliably in your opinion??
How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what parts (new or use etc) you are prepared to buy and what your ultimate usage of the car will be etc... Even then there is no such guarantee at this level. Speak to Mark at Lateral or RCM who would be able to avise you further.

Given that he's got an sti to start off with, and is doing most of the work himself, surely it can not cost anywhere *near* 20k?
The labour is not the issue, its the part which will represent atleast 75% of your total build cost and do not forget it's not only what goes in the engine but what supporting parts (incl. ECU, suspension etc...) you have to run a 600! Also not sure where this "£20k" benchmark figure has come from.

I thought Lateral performance would sell you a built 2.33 short block for about 4k or there-abouts, and that's obviously including labour and on an expensive block already.
Perhaps you should confirm with Mark @ Lateral exactly what this 2.33 comprises of. I know from personal experience Mark would not sell you a "built block" without taking into account what the ultimate usage is for etc....

Old 02 September 2010, 08:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JP4
How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what parts (new or use etc) you are prepared to buy and what your ultimate usage of the car will be etc... Even then there is no such guarantee at this level. Speak to Mark at Lateral or RCM who would be able to avise you further.

The labour is not the issue, its the part which will represent atleast 75% of your total build cost and do not forget it's not only what goes in the engine but what supporting parts (incl. ECU, suspension etc...) you have to run a 600! Also not sure where this "£20k" benchmark figure has come from.

Perhaps you should confirm with Mark @ Lateral exactly what this 2.33 comprises of. I know from personal experience Mark would not sell you a "built block" without taking into account what the ultimate usage is for etc....

The 20k was the figure the OP mentioned

I was thinking something along the lines of strong bottom end, his current STI heads, maybe with different cams, headers etc. I guess he'd have to go rotated for 600, which would add to the cost...

Hrm, I've probably missed loads out from the list, but it would be genuinely interesting to see how much it'd actually cost in parts.

On a completely off topic note, I'm continously shocked about how much subarus cost to tune to big power levels. I'll be disappointed if my other car doesn't make close to 500, and I've so far spent 6k on it, including buying the car. Comparing that to the subaru, I've spent twice that and i'm not even running 400.
Old 02 September 2010, 10:10 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

The 20k was the figure the OP mentioned

I was thinking something along the lines of strong bottom end, his current STI heads, maybe with different cams, headers etc. I guess he'd have to go rotated for 600, which would add to the cost...

Hrm, I've probably missed loads out from the list, but it would be genuinely interesting to see how much it'd actually cost in parts.

On a completely off topic note, I'm continously shocked about how much subarus cost to tune to big power levels. I'll be disappointed if my other car doesn't make close to 500, and I've so far spent 6k on it, including buying the car. Comparing that to the subaru, I've spent twice that and i'm not even running 400.
The £20k is a figure which crops up quite a bit so amazes me why this particular figure is being used.

Remember heads will need working on....then crank, rods, pistons, valves, bearings, head studs, turbooooo....and the list goes on and on......see where I'm coming from?....

There's some 600 builds which have been released recently on here - best bit is check out their project threads and see the spec list....then find out out how much the parts cost (brand new) and that ought to give you a rough idea of what you could be looking at at a minimum.
Old 02 September 2010, 10:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It can be done for a lot less than 20k, probably half of that.

Standard STi heads would be fine imho.
Old 02 September 2010, 10:32 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It can be done for a lot less than 20k, probably half of that.

Standard STi heads would be fine imho.
Old 03 September 2010, 08:54 AM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

IM TALKing only the block and head work here, the ancilaries can come at a later date, i currently have a 321 ect so would be happy with the extra power just the head work and extra displacement would give me in the short term then once i feel the need for more power. change turbo ecu etc

so purely block and heads work we are talking
Old 03 September 2010, 02:02 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

the problem is you are not going to get value for money without the ancillary work being done at the same time. building a big power car on a shoesting is a major PITA. take it from some one who knows. my car has been off the road for 3 years as i am not prepared just to "make do".

again its down to how much you want to spend. the utlimate build will be a 2.35, but they can be very expensive. Lateral and EngineTuner do some really nice 2.1 stroker kits that are producing good power. the 2.5 conversions have loads of torque.
Old 03 September 2010, 08:33 PM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

ok forget about cost i will cross that bridge when it comes as i say i wiill be acumulating the parts over the course of the next year and it will only be once all the correct parts are bought that the engine work will begin,

what i need to know is whats the options for more displacement
Old 03 September 2010, 09:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Arf has a 627 bhp 2.1 from EngineTuner, but his 2.5 was much more scary while it worked.

The 2.5 makes massive low down torque, whereas the 2.1 is very linear, it just pulls to 8250...

It does depend on use, drag, road or track.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. I'm all geared up to make 500 bhp on a std V7 STI S-CDB stroked to 2.1 with a GT30 and the trimmings.
Old 03 September 2010, 09:57 PM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

see what confusing me is, cranks rods and pistons,

what combinations do what ??
Old 04 September 2010, 02:21 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ok forget about cost i will cross that bridge when it comes as i say i wiill be acumulating the parts over the course of the next year and it will only be once all the correct parts are bought that the engine work will begin,

what i need to know is whats the options for more displacement
standard 2.0
standard 2.0 stroked to 2.1 with pistons
standard 2.2
standard 2.2 stroked to 2.33 - 2.4 (dependant on piston, stroke and gasket thickness)
standard 2.5

the 2.33 -2.4 will be the strongest as it normally uses a 2.2 CDB. the 2.1 engines are making a lot of power with a few choice bits.

Its all down to what you ultimately want to do with the car. let us know and we can advise you better. if 600hp is your goal i would advise another car for the road, as i personally think these car are too fast for the road.
Old 04 September 2010, 10:27 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigsinky
if 600hp is your goal i would advise another car for the road, as i personally think these car are too fast for the road.
Not just too fast, but unreliable at that level as only cars.

A trailer wouldn't be a bad idea for events either.
Old 06 September 2010, 08:55 AM
KINGHORN
Scooby Regular

well the car does very little millage, got a mot done at the weekend and it had done circe 1000 miles since the last,

i will be using the car for track days and the ocasional road use when my other half needs the other car.