Notices

smell burning oil!!! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2010, 08:49 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smell burning oil!!! any ideas?

right had my first scooby for about a month, i picked it up from bristol and drove it the 70 miles home with out it missing a beat, but when i pulled on my drive oil had leaked onto the exhaust causing it to smoke from underneath i thought this looked serious so took it to garage in the morning and noticed oil under the car, the garage inspected it and said could be crank or cam pulley seal but hard to tell as oil was everywhere but they did notice the oil filter was loose and it tightened another 2 turns!!!!! they thought the problem could be this, it had just had an oil change allthough there was no oil under the car when i picked it up as i checked. All has been fine for last month with no leaks spotted but on a run i get the burning oil smell like its got on the exhaust again i know it must only be a bit as no visable signs of a leak, around town local driving this does not happen, any ideas??? forgot to say it a 95 classic wrx import thanks
Old 31 August 2010, 09:09 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

It could be the rocker cover gaskets failing.Very common problem on classics
Old 31 August 2010, 12:09 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

HI,

Yes could be rocker cover gasket, although if its only on a long run you could have a small leak from somewhere else, The wind force at higher speed will blow it onto the exhaust causing the smell.
A little oil goes a long way, as long as your oil level is ok i wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 31 August 2010, 02:04 PM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

oil level doesnt seem to move so i know it must just be a spot now and then, i aint going to chuck money at it trying to find it il take your advice and just keep my eye on it thanks
Old 31 August 2010, 07:25 PM
brashy
Scooby Regular

just have a look at the power steering pump and see if thats leaking coz ive had a few classics were the res on the pump was leaking a little bit an then when you put your foot down it would run of the back of the engine and onto the turbo which caused a oily smell inside the car, if by anychance it is that it is an easy repair you just remove the res of the pump and replace the o-ring at the bottom of it, failing that the best thing to do is get your engine steam cleaned and you will soon tell were it is coming from