Notices

my first project please help

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2010, 09:49 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation my first project please help

Hi ive bought a 1996 turbo wagon uk 208bhp early this year its the v1 I think it needed a little tlc new cv boots, new calipers alround, abs ring on o/s/f was broke and abs sensor was missing it had the springs cut as well so ive put the sti pink spring on so it sits nice anyway it has always had a boost problem from the day i brought it home, it goes through the gears nice if driving soft/normal but if you put ya foot down it will reach 4/5 k & its like a limiter it just wont go past 4/5k unless i let off the pedal I have read a few fourms & ive changed the boost solnoid (3port) but not the other stuff near it ive put brake cleaner through new solnoid and the pipes cleaned the intake from MAF back & even lowerd the engine oil to half full (under hole not notch) put new plugs in (NGK platunem) I was wondering as it has a decat system and ramair filter n colins dv would it need a remap chip in the ecu as i have looked and it doesnt have one I have also reset the ecu and no codes are showing after a 5min run in it (cant go far in it as no MOT) but did have a few errors before tho they were (44) (45) (24) (11) the only one that worrys me is (11) as ive been messing with the others when engine was running i.e putting cleaner through them

any help or advive would be great as its my first scooby & first turbo car

thanks Jim
Old 28 August 2010, 09:53 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimnco
Hi ive bought a 1996 turbo wagon uk 208bhp early this year its the v1 I think it needed a little tlc new cv boots, new calipers alround, abs ring on o/s/f was broke and abs sensor was missing it had the springs cut as well so ive put the sti pink spring on so it sits nice anyway it has always had a boost problem from the day i brought it home, it goes through the gears nice if driving soft/normal but if you put ya foot down it will reach 4/5 k & its like a limiter it just wont go past 4/5k unless i let off the pedal I have read a few fourms & ive changed the boost solnoid (3port) but not the other stuff near it ive put brake cleaner through new solnoid and the pipes cleaned the intake from MAF back & even lowerd the engine oil to half full (under hole not notch) put new plugs in (NGK platunem) I was wondering as it has a decat system and ramair filter n colins dv would it need a remap chip in the ecu as i have looked and it doesnt have one I have also reset the ecu and no codes are showing after a 5min run in it (cant go far in it as no MOT) but did have a few errors before tho they were (44) (45) (24) (11) the only one that worrys me is (11) as ive been messing with the others when engine was running i.e putting cleaner through them

thanks Jim

change maf
Old 28 August 2010, 09:55 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

thanks Jim
When you say its like hitting a limiter is the car violently cutting out then coming back on?.
Old 28 August 2010, 09:56 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

Hi again I also forgot to mention when I drive hard and dump the clutch in the engine dips it has stalled a few times also does it when its on drive and you rev it

thanks, Jim
Old 28 August 2010, 10:01 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

i no it will stay at the same speed just wont go any faster unless i let off the pedal abit the best way to describe it would be like driving with choke on if that helps
Old 28 August 2010, 10:10 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Get rid of the dv and see how it runs without, could be leaking.
As neil says change the maf i dont no if your problems could be a sign of maf faliure though, im sure someone will be along soon and offer more advice.
Old 28 August 2010, 10:25 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

I cant take the dv off as the pipes that connect the std dv (that i dont have) is now connected to big pipe off the resonator as the resonator has been removed for the ramair induction kit also if the MAF was faulty would it not show as an error on ecu? I have taken the dv off striped n cleaned it & it looks in good nick.. is the colins preformance dv any good it looks cheap i must admit as its gold n purple in colour lol

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2010, 11:10 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

does any MAF fit what lable would mine be best with i'm not sure what colour mine is i will check in the morning thanks for the advice sofar

Jim
Old 01 September 2010, 10:37 AM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

if you can tease it with the throttle all way through revs but on hard throttle its like hitting a limiter ? if so check plugs m8 my gappin was wrong only after i changed leads coil packs and maf it still did same took it for diagnostic on rollers it turned out to be plugs .
Old 01 September 2010, 08:08 PM
jimnco
Scooby Regular

cheers neil i will def check that out as when i changed plugs the old ones looked quite new and i did gap the new ones but i may have got it wrong as ive never had to gap a plug before
Old 02 September 2010, 04:37 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

cheers neil i will def check that out as when i changed plugs the old ones looked quite new and i did gap the new ones but i may have got it wrong as ive never had to gap a plug before
Standard plugs are set for a standard car pal maybe buy some up graded ones pal or even better the make of plug you have google the company ring em and ask them wot the gapping should be pal.
that way you get it spot on.