why do i have a floppy......

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 10:46 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink why do i have a floppy......

set of side mirrors!?
they are elec & elec folding, but they seem to be really loose & when its windy or above 40/50 mph they wobble like mad. Are they just knackered or is there something i can do folks?
cheers
Old 22 August 2010, 10:49 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
set of side mirrors!?
they are elec & elec folding, but they seem to be really loose & when its windy or above 40/50 mph they wobble like mad. Are they just knackered or is there something i can do folks?
cheers
there are 3 cross head screws that hold the mirror glass/top onto the base plate check there tight mate
Old 22 August 2010, 10:52 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

will check, does them 3 screws actually steady the hole mirror/unit? or are they for the arm that the unit/mirror sit on? because afaik are tight its just the hole unit/mirror seems to swing very loosly back & forth as if the elec motor in each one is knackered. yet they still fold in/out.

hope that makes sense!!!
Old 22 August 2010, 10:57 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
will check, does them 3 screws actually steady the hole mirror/unit? or are they for the arm that the unit/mirror sit on? because afaik are tight its just the hole unit/mirror seems to swing very loosly back & forth as if the elec motor in each one is knackered. yet they still fold in/out.

hope that makes sense!!!
think i understand mate lol, if you can imagine then you,ve got the bit that bolts on to the car and the piece that houses the glass that bolts to the base,the 3 screws hol the glass housing to the base so if there loose then the unit can go 'floppy' lol
Old 22 August 2010, 11:04 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info, appreciate it, will have a look tomorrow night when get back from work
Old 22 August 2010, 11:45 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

this happens on mine when they have been hit by a car or pushed in by a person squeezing past or whatever. by electrically folding them in and out again they regain rigidity. sounds horrible tho as something clicks back into place. assume yours arent doing this?
Old 23 August 2010, 08:11 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eternal Rage
this happens on mine when they have been hit by a car or pushed in by a person squeezing past or whatever. by electrically folding them in and out again they regain rigidity. sounds horrible tho as something clicks back into place. assume yours arent doing this?
i have heard the click that you mention mate, but this does not change them. I have a feeling that the motors are knackered which is allowing them to wobble forwards & backward on their pivot.

Is the motor easy to change to save me getting a set sprayed up?
Old 23 August 2010, 10:58 AM
craigoscott
Scooby Regular

on a side note, how do you know if the mirrors you have got are folding? ive only had my car a week and dont know! 2005 sti type uk by the way?
Old 23 August 2010, 11:08 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

on a classic there is a **** for the direction of the glass, a switch to pick left or right mirror to operate & there's another switch which folds them in & out. No idea on your year of car mate, if they did they surely you would have a switch on the mirror control panel as mine does???
Old 26 August 2010, 01:59 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you sorted this Timmy?

If not, I have found the best way to remove the glass without breaking them, is to pour freshly boiled, or very hot water over the glass. This softenes the sticky pads and the plastic base that holds the onto the glass.

The motors are easy enought to change over, once you have them side by side.